Wednesday 4 April 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Wed Apr 4 04:00:00 EDT 2007

Wednesday 4 April 2007

Jeremiah 17:5-10,14-17

Thus says the Lord:
Cursed are those who trust in mere mortals
   and make mere flesh their strength,
   whose hearts turn away from the Lord.
They shall be like a shrub in the desert,
   and shall not see when relief comes.
They shall live in the parched places of the wilderness,
   in an uninhabited salt land.

Blessed are those who trust in the Lord,
   whose trust is the Lord.
They shall be like a tree planted by water,
   sending out its roots by the stream.
It shall not fear when heat comes,
   and its leaves shall stay green;
in the year of drought it is not anxious,
   and it does not cease to bear fruit.

The heart is devious above all else;
   it is perverse—
   who can understand it?
I the Lord test the mind
   and search the heart,
to give to all according to their ways,
   according to the fruit of their doings.

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed;
   save me, and I shall be saved;
   for you are my praise.
See how they say to me,
   ‘Where is the word of the Lord?
   Let it come!’
But I have not run away from being a shepherd in your service,
   nor have I desired the fatal day.
You know what came from my lips;
   it was before your face.
Do not become a terror to me;
   you are my refuge on the day of disaster;
Philippians 4:1-13

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and
crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved.
I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.
Yes, and I ask you also, my loyal companion, help these women, for they
have struggled beside me in the work of the gospel, together with
Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of
life.
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your
gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about
anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with
thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of
God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your
minds in Christ Jesus.
John 12:27-36

‘Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say—“Father, save me from
this hour”? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour.
Father, glorify your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have
glorified it, and I will glorify it again.’ The crowd standing there
heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, ‘An angel has
spoken to him.’ Jesus answered, ‘This voice has come for your sake, not
for mine. Now is the judgement of this world; now the ruler of this
world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth,
will draw all people to myself.’ He said this to indicate the kind of
death he was to die. The crowd answered him, ‘We have heard from the
law that the Messiah remains for ever. How can you say that the Son of
Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?’ Jesus said to them,
‘The light is with you for a little longer. Walk while you have the
light, so that the darkness may not overtake you. If you walk in the
darkness, you do not know where you are going. While you have the
light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light.’
After Jesus had said this, he departed and hid from them.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 55

Psalm 55

Give ear to my prayer, O God;
   do not hide yourself from my supplication.
Attend to me, and answer me;
   I am troubled in my complaint.
I am distraught by the noise of the enemy,
   because of the clamour of the wicked.
For they bring trouble upon me,
   and in anger they cherish enmity against me.

My heart is in anguish within me,
   the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling come upon me,
   and horror overwhelms me.
And I say, ‘O that I had wings like a dove!
   I would fly away and be at rest;
truly, I would flee far away;
   I would lodge in the wilderness;
          Selah
I would hurry to find a shelter for myself
   from the raging wind and tempest.’

Confuse, O Lord, confound their speech;
   for I see violence and strife in the city.
Day and night they go around it
   on its walls,
and iniquity and trouble are within it;
   ruin is in its midst;
oppression and fraud
   do not depart from its market-place.

It is not enemies who taunt me—
   I could bear that;
it is not adversaries who deal insolently with me—
   I could hide from them.
But it is you, my equal,
   my companion, my familiar friend,
with whom I kept pleasant company;
   we walked in the house of God with the throng.
Let death come upon them;
   let them go down alive to Sheol;
   for evil is in their homes and in their hearts.

But I call upon God,
   and the Lord will save me.
Evening and morning and at noon
   I utter my complaint and moan,
   and he will hear my voice.
He will redeem me unharmed
   from the battle that I wage,
   for many are arrayed against me.
God, who is enthroned from of old,
          Selah
   will hear, and will humble them—
because they do not change,
   and do not fear God.

My companion laid hands on a friend
   and violated a covenant with me
with speech smoother than butter,
   but with a heart set on war;
with words that were softer than oil,
   but in fact were drawn swords.

Cast your burden on the Lord,
   and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
   the righteous to be moved.

But you, O God, will cast them down
   into the lowest pit;
the bloodthirsty and treacherous
   shall not live out half their days.
But I will trust in you.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 74

Psalm 74

O God, why do you cast us off for ever?
   Why does your anger smoke against the sheep of your pasture?
Remember your congregation, which you acquired long ago,
   which you redeemed to be the tribe of your heritage.
   Remember Mount Zion, where you came to dwell.
Direct your steps to the perpetual ruins;
   the enemy has destroyed everything in the sanctuary.

Your foes have roared within your holy place;
   they set up their emblems there.
At the upper entrance they hacked
   the wooden trellis with axes.
And then, with hatchets and hammers,
   they smashed all its carved work.
They set your sanctuary on fire;
   they desecrated the dwelling-place of your name,
   bringing it to the ground.
They said to themselves, ‘We will utterly subdue them’;
   they burned all the meeting-places of God in the land.

We do not see our emblems;
   there is no longer any prophet,
   and there is no one among us who knows how long.
How long, O God, is the foe to scoff?
   Is the enemy to revile your name for ever?
Why do you hold back your hand;
   why do you keep your hand in your bosom?

Yet God my King is from of old,
   working salvation in the earth.
You divided the sea by your might;
   you broke the heads of the dragons in the waters.
You crushed the heads of Leviathan;
   you gave him as food for the creatures of the wilderness.
You cut openings for springs and torrents;
   you dried up ever-flowing streams.
Yours is the day, yours also the night;
   you established the luminaries and the sun.
You have fixed all the bounds of the earth;
   you made summer and winter.

Remember this, O Lord, how the enemy scoffs,
   and an impious people reviles your name.
Do not deliver the soul of your dove to the wild animals;
   do not forget the life of your poor for ever.

Have regard for your covenant,
   for the dark places of the land are full of the haunts of violence.
Do not let the downtrodden be put to shame;
   let the poor and needy praise your name.
Rise up, O God, plead your cause;
   remember how the impious scoff at you all day long.
Do not forget the clamour of your foes,
   the uproar of your adversaries that goes up continually.