Sunday 30 December 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Sun Dec 30 02:00:00 EST 2007

Sunday 30 December 2007

1 Samuel 1:1-2, 7b-28

There was a certain man of Ramathaim, a Zuphite* from the hill country
of Ephraim, whose name was Elkanah son of Jeroham son of Elihu son of
Tohu son of Zuph, an Ephraimite. 2He had two wives; the name of one was
Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah. Peninnah had children, but
Hannah had no children. 7So it went on year after year; as often as she
went up to the house of the Lord, she used to provoke her. Therefore
Hannah wept and would not eat. 8Her husband Elkanah said to her,
'Hannah, why do you weep? Why do you not eat? Why is your heart sad? Am
I not more to you than ten sons?'
9 After they had eaten and drunk at Shiloh, Hannah rose and presented
herself before the Lord.* Now Eli the priest was sitting on the seat
beside the doorpost of the temple of the Lord. 10She was deeply
distressed and prayed to the Lord, and wept bitterly. 11She made this
vow: 'O Lord of hosts, if only you will look on the misery of your
servant, and remember me, and not forget your servant, but will give to
your servant a male child, then I will set him before you as a nazirite*
until the day of his death. He shall drink neither wine nor
intoxicants,* and no razor shall touch his head.'
12 As she continued praying before the Lord, Eli observed her mouth.
13Hannah was praying silently; only her lips moved, but her voice was
not heard; therefore Eli thought she was drunk. 14So Eli said to her,
'How long will you make a drunken spectacle of yourself? Put away your
wine.' 15But Hannah answered, 'No, my lord, I am a woman deeply
troubled; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been
pouring out my soul before the Lord. 16Do not regard your servant as a
worthless woman, for I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and
vexation all this time.' 17Then Eli answered, 'Go in peace; the God of
Israel grant the petition you have made to him.' 18And she said, 'Let
your servant find favour in your sight.' Then the woman went to her
quarters,* ate and drank with her husband,* and her countenance was sad
no longer.*
19 They rose early in the morning and worshipped before the Lord; then
they went back to their house at Ramah. Elkanah knew his wife Hannah,
and the Lord remembered her. 20In due time Hannah conceived and bore a
son. She named him Samuel, for she said, 'I have asked him of the Lord.'

21 The man Elkanah and all his household went up to offer to the Lord
the yearly sacrifice, and to pay his vow. 22But Hannah did not go up,
for she said to her husband, 'As soon as the child is weaned, I will
bring him, that he may appear in the presence of the Lord, and remain
there for ever; I will offer him as a nazirite* for all time.'* 23Her
husband Elkanah said to her, 'Do what seems best to you, wait until you
have weaned him; only-may the Lord establish his word.'* So the woman
remained and nursed her son, until she weaned him. 24When she had weaned
him, she took him up with her, along with a three-year-old bull,* an
ephah of flour, and a skin of wine. She brought him to the house of the
Lord at Shiloh; and the child was young. 25Then they slaughtered the
bull, and they brought the child to Eli. 26And she said, 'Oh, my lord!
As you live, my lord, I am the woman who was standing here in your
presence, praying to the Lord. 27For this child I prayed; and the Lord
has granted me the petition that I made to him. 28Therefore I have lent
him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he is given to the Lord.'
She left him there for* the Lord.
Colossians 1:9-20

For this reason, since the day we heard it, we have not ceased praying
for you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of God's*
will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10so that you may lead
lives worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, as you bear fruit in
every good work and as you grow in the knowledge of God. 11May you be
made strong with all the strength that comes from his glorious power,
and may you be prepared to endure everything with patience, while
joyfully 12giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled* you* to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light. 13He has rescued us from
the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved
Son, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.*
The Supremacy of Christ15 He is the image of the invisible God, the
firstborn of all creation; 16for in* him all things in heaven and on
earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or
dominions or rulers or powers-all things have been created through him
and for him. 17He himself is before all things, and in* him all things
hold together. 18He is the head of the body, the church; he is the
beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have
first place in everything. 19For in him all the fullness of God was
pleased to dwell, 20and through him God was pleased to reconcile to
himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace
through the blood of his cross.
Luke 2:22-40

When the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses,
they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23(as it is
written in the law of the Lord, 'Every firstborn male shall be
designated as holy to the Lord'), 24and they offered a sacrifice
according to what is stated in the law of the Lord, 'a pair of
turtle-doves or two young pigeons.'
25 Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon;* this man was
righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel, and
the Holy Spirit rested on him. 26It had been revealed to him by the Holy
Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's
Messiah.* 27Guided by the Spirit, Simeon* came into the temple; and when
the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was customary
under the law, 28Simeon* took him in his arms and praised God, saying,
29'Master, now you are dismissing your servant* in peace,
   according to your word;
30for my eyes have seen your salvation,
31   which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32a light for revelation to the Gentiles
   and for glory to your people Israel.'
33 And the child's father and mother were amazed at what was being said
about him. 34Then Simeon* blessed them and said to his mother Mary,
'This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in
Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed 35so that the inner
thoughts of many will be revealed-and a sword will pierce your own soul
too.'
36 There was also a prophet, Anna* the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe
of Asher. She was of a great age, having lived with her husband for
seven years after her marriage, 37then as a widow to the age of
eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshipped there with fasting
and prayer night and day. 38At that moment she came, and began to praise
God and to speak about the child* to all who were looking for the
redemption of Jerusalem.
The Return to Nazareth39 When they had finished everything required by
the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own town of
Nazareth. 40The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and
the favour of God was upon him.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 93, 96

Psalm 93

The Lord is king, he is robed in majesty;
   the Lord is robed, he is girded with strength.
He has established the world; it shall never be moved;
2   your throne is established from of old;
   you are from everlasting.

3The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
   the floods have lifted up their voice;
   the floods lift up their roaring.
4More majestic than the thunders of mighty waters,
   more majestic than the waves* of the sea,
   majestic on high is the Lord!

5Your decrees are very sure;
   holiness befits your house,
   O Lord, for evermore.

Psalm 96

O sing to the Lord a new song;
   sing to the Lord, all the earth.
2Sing to the Lord, bless his name;
   tell of his salvation from day to day.
3Declare his glory among the nations,
   his marvellous works among all the peoples.
4For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
   he is to be revered above all gods.
5For all the gods of the peoples are idols,
   but the Lord made the heavens.
6Honour and majesty are before him;
   strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.

7Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples,
   ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
8Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
   bring an offering, and come into his courts.
9Worship the Lord in holy splendour;
   tremble before him, all the earth.

10Say among the nations, 'The Lord is king!
   The world is firmly established; it shall never be moved.
   He will judge the peoples with equity.'
11Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
   let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
12   let the field exult, and everything in it.
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
13   before the Lord; for he is coming,
   for he is coming to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
   and the peoples with his truth.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 34

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;
   his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
   let the humble hear and be glad.
3O magnify the Lord with me,
   and let us exalt his name together.

4I sought the Lord, and he answered me,
   and delivered me from all my fears.
5Look to him, and be radiant;
   so your* faces shall never be ashamed.
6This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
   and was saved from every trouble.
7The angel of the Lord encamps
   around those who fear him, and delivers them.
8O taste and see that the Lord is good;
   happy are those who take refuge in him.
9O fear the Lord, you his holy ones,
   for those who fear him have no want.
10The young lions suffer want and hunger,
   but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

11Come, O children, listen to me;
   I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12Which of you desires life,
   and covets many days to enjoy good?
13Keep your tongue from evil,
   and your lips from speaking deceit.
14Depart from evil, and do good;
   seek peace, and pursue it.

15The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their cry.
16The face of the Lord is against evildoers,
   to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
17When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears,
   and rescues them from all their troubles.
18The Lord is near to the broken-hearted,
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

19Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
   but the Lord rescues them from them all.
20He keeps all their bones;
   not one of them will be broken.
21Evil brings death to the wicked,
   and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
22The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
   none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.