Sunday 17 June 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Sun Jun 17 04:00:00 EDT 2007

Sunday 17 June 2007

Ecclesiasticus 46:11-20

The judges also, with their respective names,
   whose hearts did not fall into idolatry
and who did not turn away from the Lord-
   may their memory be blessed!
May their bones send forth new life from where they lie,
   and may the names of those who have been honoured
   live again in their children!

Samuel was beloved by his Lord;
   a prophet of the Lord, he established the kingdom
   and anointed rulers over his people.
By the law of the Lord he judged the congregation,
   and the Lord watched over Jacob.
By his faithfulness he was proved to be a prophet,
   and by his words he became known as a trustworthy seer.
He called upon the Lord, the Mighty One,
   when his enemies pressed him on every side,
   and he offered in sacrifice a sucking-lamb.
Then the Lord thundered from heaven,
   and made his voice heard with a mighty sound;
he subdued the leaders of the enemy
   and all the rulers of the Philistines.
Before the time of his eternal sleep,
   Samuel bore witness before the Lord and his anointed:
'No property, not so much as a pair of shoes,
   have I taken from anyone!'
   And no one accused him.
Even after he had fallen asleep, he prophesied
   and made known to the king his death,
and lifted up his voice from the ground
   in prophecy, to blot out the wickedness of the people.
Revelation 15:1-8

Then I saw another portent in heaven, great and amazing: seven angels
with seven plagues, which are the last, for with them the wrath of God
is ended.
And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mixed with fire, and those
who had conquered the beast and its image and the number of its name
standing beside the sea of glass with harps of God in their hands. And
they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the
Lamb:
'Great and amazing are your deeds,
   Lord God the Almighty!
Just and true are your ways,
   King of the nations!
Lord, who will not fear
   and glorify your name?
For you alone are holy.
   All nations will come
   and worship before you,
for your judgements have been revealed.'

After this I looked, and the temple of the tent of witness in heaven was
opened, and out of the temple came the seven angels with the seven
plagues, robed in pure bright linen, with golden sashes across their
chests. Then one of the four living creatures gave the seven angels
seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God, who lives for ever and
ever; and the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God and
from his power, and no one could enter the temple until the seven
plagues of the seven angels were ended.
Matthew 18:1-14

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who is the greatest
in the kingdom of heaven?' He called a child, whom he put among them,
and said, 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like
children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes
humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.
'If any of you put a stumbling-block before one of these little ones who
believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were
fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Woe to the world because of stumbling-blocks! Occasions for stumbling
are bound to come, but woe to the one by whom the stumbling-block
comes!
'If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw
it away; it is better for you to enter life maimed or lame than to have
two hands or two feet and to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if
your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out and throw it away; it is
better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and to
be thrown into the hell of fire.
'Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell
you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in
heaven. What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one
of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the
mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds
it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine
that never went astray. So it is not the will of your Father in heaven
that one of these little ones should be lost.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 93, 96

Psalm 93

The Lord is king, he is robed in majesty;
   the Lord is robed, he is girded with strength.
He has established the world; it shall never be moved;
   your throne is established from of old;
   you are from everlasting.

The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
   the floods have lifted up their voice;
   the floods lift up their roaring.
More majestic than the thunders of mighty waters,
   more majestic than the waves of the sea,
   majestic on high is the Lord!

Your decrees are very sure;
   holiness befits your house,
   O Lord, for evermore.

Psalm 96

O sing to the Lord a new song;
   sing to the Lord, all the earth.
Sing to the Lord, bless his name;
   tell of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
   his marvellous works among all the peoples.
For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
   he is to be revered above all gods.
For all the gods of the peoples are idols,
   but the Lord made the heavens.
Honour and majesty are before him;
   strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.

Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples,
   ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
   bring an offering, and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in holy splendour;
   tremble before him, all the earth.

Say among the nations, 'The Lord is king!
   The world is firmly established; it shall never be moved.
   He will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
   let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
   let the field exult, and everything in it.
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
   before the Lord; for he is coming,
   for he is coming to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
   and the peoples with his truth.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 34

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;
   his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
   let the humble hear and be glad.
O magnify the Lord with me,
   and let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me,
   and delivered me from all my fears.
Look to him, and be radiant;
   so your faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
   and was saved from every trouble.
The angel of the Lord encamps
   around those who fear him, and delivers them.
O taste and see that the Lord is good;
   happy are those who take refuge in him.
O fear the Lord, you his holy ones,
   for those who fear him have no want.
The young lions suffer want and hunger,
   but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

Come, O children, listen to me;
   I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Which of you desires life,
   and covets many days to enjoy good?
Keep your tongue from evil,
   and your lips from speaking deceit.
Depart from evil, and do good;
   seek peace, and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against evildoers,
   to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears,
   and rescues them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the broken-hearted,
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
   but the Lord rescues them from them all.
He keeps all their bones;
   not one of them will be broken.
Evil brings death to the wicked,
   and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
   none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.