Tuesday 6 November 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Tue Nov 6 02:00:00 EST 2007

Tuesday 6 November 2007

Nehemiah 12:27-31a,42b-47

Now at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem they sought out the
Levites in all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem to celebrate the
dedication with rejoicing, with thanksgivings and with singing, with
cymbals, harps, and lyres. The companies of the singers gathered
together from the circuit around Jerusalem and from the villages of the
Netophathites; also from Beth-gilgal and from the region of Geba and
Azmaveth; for the singers had built for themselves villages around
Jerusalem. And the priests and the Levites purified themselves; and they
purified the people and the gates and the wall.

 Then I brought the leaders of Judah up on to the wall, and appointed
two great companies that gave thanks and went in procession. One went to
the right on the wall to the Dung Gate; and Maaseiah, Shemaiah, Eleazar,
Uzzi, Jehohanan, Malchijah, Elam, and Ezer. And the singers sang with
Jezrahiah as their leader. They offered great sacrifices that day and
rejoiced, for God had made them rejoice with great joy; the women and
children also rejoiced. The joy of Jerusalem was heard far away.

 On that day men were appointed over the chambers for the stores, the
contributions, the first fruits, and the tithes, to gather into them the
portions required by the law for the priests and for the Levites from
the fields belonging to the towns; for Judah rejoiced over the priests
and the Levites who ministered. They performed the service of their God
and the service of purification, as did the singers and the gatekeepers,
according to the command of David and his son Solomon. For in the days
of David and Asaph long ago there was a leader of the singers, and there
were songs of praise and thanksgiving to God. In the days of Zerubbabel
and in the days of Nehemiah all Israel gave the daily portions for the
singers and the gatekeepers. They set apart that which was for the
Levites; and the Levites set apart that which was for the descendants of
Aaron.
Revelation 11:1-19

Then I was given a measuring rod like a staff, and I was told, 'Come and
measure the temple of God and the altar and those who worship there, but
do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is
given over to the nations, and they will trample over the holy city for
forty-two months. And I will grant my two witnesses authority to
prophesy for one thousand two hundred and sixty days, wearing
sackcloth.'

 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before
the Lord of the earth. And if anyone wants to harm them, fire pours from
their mouth and consumes their foes; anyone who wants to harm them must
be killed in this manner. They have authority to shut the sky, so that
no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have
authority over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the
earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire.

 When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from
the bottomless pit will make war on them and conquer them and kill them,
and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that is
prophetically* called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was
crucified. For three and a half days members of the peoples and tribes
and languages and nations will gaze at their dead bodies and refuse to
let them be placed in a tomb; and the inhabitants of the earth will
gloat over them and celebrate and exchange presents, because these two
prophets had been a torment to the inhabitants of the earth.

 But after the three and a half days, the breath* of life from God
entered them, and they stood on their feet, and those who saw them were
terrified. Then they* heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them,
'Come up here!' And they went up to heaven in a cloud while their
enemies watched them. At that moment there was a great earthquake, and a
tenth of the city fell; seven thousand people were killed in the
earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of
heaven.

 The second woe has passed. The third woe is coming very soon.

 Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in
heaven, saying,
'The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord
   and of his Messiah,*
and he will reign for ever and ever.'

 Then the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on
their faces and worshipped God, singing,
'We give you thanks, Lord God Almighty,
   who are and who were,
for you have taken your great power
   and begun to reign.
The nations raged,
   but your wrath has come,
   and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants,* the prophets
   and saints and all who fear your name,
   both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.'

 Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was
seen within his temple; and there were flashes of lightning, rumblings,
peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail.
Matthew 13:44-53

'The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone
found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and
buys that field.

 'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine
pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that
he had and bought it.

 'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the
sea and caught fish of every kind; when it was full, they drew it
ashore, sat down, and put the good into baskets but threw out the bad.
So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and
separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the furnace of
fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

 'Have you understood all this?' They answered, 'Yes.' And he said to
them, 'Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of
heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure
what is new and what is old.'
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 61, 62

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God;
   listen to my prayer.
>From the end of the earth I call to you,
   when my heart is faint.

Lead me to the rock
   that is higher than I;
for you are my refuge,
   a strong tower against the enemy.

Let me abide in your tent for ever,
   find refuge under the shelter of your wings.
          Selah
For you, O God, have heard my vows;
   you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Prolong the life of the king;
   may his years endure to all generations!
May he be enthroned for ever before God;
   appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

So I will always sing praises to your name,
   as I pay my vows day after day.

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul waits in silence;
   from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall never be shaken.

How long will you assail a person,
   will you batter your victim, all of you,
   as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence.
   They take pleasure in falsehood;
they bless with their mouths,
   but inwardly they curse.
          Selah

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
   for my hope is from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honour;
   my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
   pour out your heart before him;
   God is a refuge for us.
          Selah

Those of low estate are but a breath,
   those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
   they are together lighter than a breath.
Put no confidence in extortion,
   and set no vain hopes on robbery;
   if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.

Once God has spoken;
   twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
   and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
For you repay to all
   according to their work.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 68:1-36

Psalm 68:1-36

Let God rise up, let his enemies be scattered;
   let those who hate him flee before him.
As smoke is driven away, so drive them away;
   as wax melts before the fire,
   let the wicked perish before God.
But let the righteous be joyful;
   let them exult before God;
   let them be jubilant with joy.

Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   lift up a song to him who rides upon the clouds*-
his name is the Lord-
   be exultant before him.

Father of orphans and protector of widows
   is God in his holy habitation.
God gives the desolate a home to live in;
   he leads out the prisoners to prosperity,
   but the rebellious live in a parched land.

O God, when you went out before your people,
   when you marched through the wilderness,
          Selah
the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,
   at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
Rain in abundance, O God, you showered abroad;
   you restored your heritage when it languished;
your flock found a dwelling in it;
   in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.

The Lord gives the command;
   great is the company of those* who bore the tidings:
   'The kings of the armies, they flee, they flee!'
The women at home divide the spoil,
   though they stay among the sheepfolds-
the wings of a dove covered with silver,
   its pinions with green gold.
When the Almighty* scattered kings there,
   snow fell on Zalmon.

O mighty mountain, mountain of Bashan;
   O many-peaked mountain, mountain of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O many-peaked mountain,
   at the mount that God desired for his abode,
   where the Lord will reside for ever?

With mighty chariotry, twice ten thousand,
   thousands upon thousands,
   the Lord came from Sinai into the holy place.*
You ascended the high mount,
   leading captives in your train
   and receiving gifts from people,
even from those who rebel against the Lord God's abiding there.
Blessed be the Lord,
   who daily bears us up;
   God is our salvation.
          Selah
Our God is a God of salvation,
   and to God, the Lord, belongs escape from death.

But God will shatter the heads of his enemies,
   the hairy crown of those who walk in their guilty ways.
The Lord said,
   'I will bring them back from Bashan,
I will bring them back from the depths of the sea,
so that you may bathe* your feet in blood,
   so that the tongues of your dogs may have their share from the foe.'

Your solemn processions are seen,* O God,
   the processions of my God, my King, into the sanctuary-
the singers in front, the musicians last,
   between them girls playing tambourines:
'Bless God in the great congregation,
   the Lord, O you who are of Israel's fountain!'
There is Benjamin, the least of them, in the lead,
   the princes of Judah in a body,
   the princes of Zebulun, the princes of Naphtali.

Summon your might, O God;
   show your strength, O God, as you have done for us before.
Because of your temple at Jerusalem
   kings bear gifts to you.
Rebuke the wild animals that live among the reeds,
   the herd of bulls with the calves of the peoples.
Trample* under foot those who lust after tribute;
   scatter the peoples who delight in war.*
Let bronze be brought from Egypt;
   let Ethiopia* hasten to stretch out its hands to God.

Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;
   sing praises to the Lord,
          Selah
O rider in the heavens, the ancient heavens;
   listen, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God,
   whose majesty is over Israel;
   and whose power is in the skies.
Awesome is God in his* sanctuary,
   the God of Israel;
   he gives power and strength to his people.

Blessed be God!