Thursday 25 October 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Oct 25 02:00:00 EDT 2007

Thursday 25 October 2007

Ezra 1:1-11

In the first year of King Cyrus of Persia, in order that the word of the
Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, the Lord stirred up
the spirit of King Cyrus of Persia so that he sent a herald throughout
all his kingdom, and also in a written edict declared:
2 'Thus says King Cyrus of Persia: The Lord, the God of heaven, has
given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build
him a house at Jerusalem in Judah. 3Any of those among you who are of
his people-may their God be with them!-are now permitted to go up to
Jerusalem in Judah, and rebuild the house of the Lord, the God of
Israel-he is the God who is in Jerusalem; 4and let all survivors, in
whatever place they reside, be assisted by the people of their place
with silver and gold, with goods and with animals, besides
freewill-offerings for the house of God in Jerusalem.'
5 The heads of the families of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests and
the Levites-everyone whose spirit God had stirred-got ready to go up and
rebuild the house of the Lord in Jerusalem. 6All their neighbours aided
them with silver vessels, with gold, with goods, with animals, and with
valuable gifts, besides all that was freely offered. 7King Cyrus himself
brought out the vessels of the house of the Lord that Nebuchadnezzar had
carried away from Jerusalem and placed in the house of his gods. 8King
Cyrus of Persia had them released into the charge of Mithredath the
treasurer, who counted them out to Sheshbazzar the prince of Judah. 9And
this was the inventory: gold basins, thirty; silver basins, one
thousand; knives,* twenty-nine; 10gold bowls, thirty; other silver
bowls, four hundred and ten; other vessels, one thousand; 11the total of
the gold and silver vessels was five thousand four hundred. All these
Sheshbazzar brought up, when the exiles were brought up from Babylonia
to Jerusalem.
1 Corinthians 16:1-9

Now concerning the collection for the saints: you should follow the
directions I gave to the churches of Galatia. 2On the first day of every
week, each of you is to put aside and save whatever extra you earn, so
that collections need not be taken when I come. 3And when I arrive, I
will send any whom you approve with letters to take your gift to
Jerusalem. 4If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will
accompany me.
Plans for Travel5 I will visit you after passing through Macedonia-for I
intend to pass through Macedonia- 6and perhaps I will stay with you or
even spend the winter, so that you may send me on my way, wherever I go.
7I do not want to see you now just in passing, for I hope to spend some
time with you, if the Lord permits. 8But I will stay in Ephesus until
Pentecost, 9for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and
there are many adversaries.
Matthew 12:15-21

When Jesus became aware of this, he departed. Many crowds* followed him,
and he cured all of them, 16and he ordered them not to make him known.
17This was to fulfil what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah:
18'Here is my servant, whom I have chosen,
   my beloved, with whom my soul is well pleased.
I will put my Spirit upon him,
   and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
19He will not wrangle or cry aloud,
   nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets.
20He will not break a bruised reed
   or quench a smouldering wick
until he brings justice to victory.
21   And in his name the Gentiles will hope.'
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 37:1-18

Psalm 37:1-18

Do not fret because of the wicked;
   do not be envious of wrongdoers,
2for they will soon fade like the grass,
   and wither like the green herb.

3Trust in the Lord, and do good;
   so you will live in the land, and enjoy security.
4Take delight in the Lord,
   and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5Commit your way to the Lord;
   trust in him, and he will act.
6He will make your vindication shine like the light,
   and the justice of your cause like the noonday.

7Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him;
   do not fret over those who prosper in their way,
   over those who carry out evil devices.

8Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath.
   Do not fret-it leads only to evil.
9For the wicked shall be cut off,
   but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.

10Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more;
   though you look diligently for their place, they will not be there.
11But the meek shall inherit the land,
   and delight in abundant prosperity.

12The wicked plot against the righteous,
   and gnash their teeth at them;
13but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
   for he sees that their day is coming.

14The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows
   to bring down the poor and needy,
   to kill those who walk uprightly;
15their sword shall enter their own heart,
   and their bows shall be broken.

16Better is a little that the righteous person has
   than the abundance of many wicked.
17For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
   but the Lord upholds the righteous.

18The Lord knows the days of the blameless,
   and their heritage will abide for ever;
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 37:19-42

Psalm 37:19-42

they are not put to shame in evil times,
   in the days of famine they have abundance.

20But the wicked perish,
   and the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures;
   they vanish-like smoke they vanish away.

21The wicked borrow, and do not pay back,
   but the righteous are generous and keep giving;
22for those blessed by the Lord shall inherit the land,
   but those cursed by him shall be cut off.

23Our steps* are made firm by the Lord,
   when he delights in our* way;
24though we stumble,* we* shall not fall headlong,
   for the Lord holds us* by the hand.

25I have been young, and now am old,
   yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
   or their children begging bread.
26They are ever giving liberally and lending,
   and their children become a blessing.

27Depart from evil, and do good;
   so you shall abide for ever.
28For the Lord loves justice;
   he will not forsake his faithful ones.

The righteous shall be kept safe for ever,
   but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.
29The righteous shall inherit the land,
   and live in it for ever.

30The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom,
   and their tongues speak justice.
31The law of their God is in their hearts;
   their steps do not slip.

32The wicked watch for the righteous,
   and seek to kill them.
33The Lord will not abandon them to their power,
   or let them be condemned when they are brought to trial.

34Wait for the Lord, and keep to his way,
   and he will exalt you to inherit the land;
   you will look on the destruction of the wicked.

35I have seen the wicked oppressing,
   and towering like a cedar of Lebanon.*
36Again I* passed by, and they were no more;
   though I sought them, they could not be found.

37Mark the blameless, and behold the upright,
   for there is posterity for the peaceable.
38But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed;
   the posterity of the wicked shall be cut off.

39The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord;
   he is their refuge in the time of trouble.
40The Lord helps them and rescues them;
   he rescues them from the wicked, and saves them,
   because they take refuge in him.