Tuesday 22 April 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Tue Apr 22 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Tuesday 22 April 2008

Leviticus 16:20-34

When he has finished atoning for the holy place and the tent of meeting
and the altar, he shall present the live goat. Then Aaron shall lay both
his hands on the head of the live goat, and confess over it all the
iniquities of the people of Israel, and all their transgressions, all
their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and sending it away
into the wilderness by means of someone designated for the task.* The
goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to a barren region; and
the goat shall be set free in the wilderness.

 Then Aaron shall enter the tent of meeting, and shall take off the
linen vestments that he put on when he went into the holy place, and
shall leave them there. He shall bathe his body in water in a holy
place, and put on his vestments; then he shall come out and offer his
burnt-offering and the burnt-offering of the people, making atonement
for himself and for the people. The fat of the sin-offering he shall
turn into smoke on the altar. The one who sets the goat free for Azazel*
shall wash his clothes and bathe his body in water, and afterwards may
come into the camp. The bull of the sin-offering and the goat of the
sin-offering, whose blood was brought in to make atonement in the holy
place, shall be taken outside the camp; their skin and their flesh and
their dung shall be consumed in fire. The one who burns them shall wash
his clothes and bathe his body in water, and afterwards may come into
the camp.

 This shall be a statute to you for ever: In the seventh month, on the
tenth day of the month, you shall deny yourselves,* and shall do no
work, neither the citizen nor the alien who resides among you. For on
this day atonement shall be made for you, to cleanse you; from all your
sins you shall be clean before the Lord. It is a sabbath of complete
rest to you, and you shall deny yourselves;* it is a statute for ever.
The priest who is anointed and consecrated as priest in his father's
place shall make atonement, wearing the linen vestments, the holy
vestments. He shall make atonement for the sanctuary, and he shall make
atonement for the tent of meeting and for the altar, and he shall make
atonement for the priests and for all the people of the assembly. This
shall be an everlasting statute for you, to make atonement for the
people of Israel once in the year for all their sins. And Moses did as
the Lord had commanded him.
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11

Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters,* you do
not need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves know very
well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. When
they say, 'There is peace and security', then sudden destruction will
come upon them, as labour pains come upon a pregnant woman, and there
will be no escape! But you, beloved,* are not in darkness, for that day
to surprise you like a thief; for you are all children of light and
children of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness. So then,
let us not fall asleep as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober;
for those who sleep sleep at night, and those who are drunk get drunk at
night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the
breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.
For God has destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation
through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, so that whether we are
awake or asleep we may live with him. Therefore encourage one another
and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.
Matthew 6:7-15

'When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do;
for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do
not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask
him.

 'Pray then in this way:
Our Father in heaven,
   hallowed be your name.
   Your kingdom come.
   Your will be done,
     on earth as it is in heaven.
   Give us this day our daily bread.*
   And forgive us our debts,
     as we also have forgiven our debtors.
   And do not bring us to the time of trial,*
     but rescue us from the evil one.*
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will
also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your
Father forgive your trespasses.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 61, 62

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God;
   listen to my prayer.
>From the end of the earth I call to you,
   when my heart is faint.

Lead me to the rock
   that is higher than I;
for you are my refuge,
   a strong tower against the enemy.

Let me abide in your tent for ever,
   find refuge under the shelter of your wings.
          Selah
For you, O God, have heard my vows;
   you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Prolong the life of the king;
   may his years endure to all generations!
May he be enthroned for ever before God;
   appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

So I will always sing praises to your name,
   as I pay my vows day after day.

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul waits in silence;
   from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall never be shaken.

How long will you assail a person,
   will you batter your victim, all of you,
   as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence.
   They take pleasure in falsehood;
they bless with their mouths,
   but inwardly they curse.
          Selah

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
   for my hope is from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honour;
   my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
   pour out your heart before him;
   God is a refuge for us.
          Selah

Those of low estate are but a breath,
   those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
   they are together lighter than a breath.
Put no confidence in extortion,
   and set no vain hopes on robbery;
   if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.

Once God has spoken;
   twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
   and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
For you repay to all
   according to their work.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 68:1-36

Psalm 68:1-36

Let God rise up, let his enemies be scattered;
   let those who hate him flee before him.
As smoke is driven away, so drive them away;
   as wax melts before the fire,
   let the wicked perish before God.
But let the righteous be joyful;
   let them exult before God;
   let them be jubilant with joy.

Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   lift up a song to him who rides upon the clouds*-
his name is the Lord-
   be exultant before him.

Father of orphans and protector of widows
   is God in his holy habitation.
God gives the desolate a home to live in;
   he leads out the prisoners to prosperity,
   but the rebellious live in a parched land.

O God, when you went out before your people,
   when you marched through the wilderness,
          Selah
the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,
   at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
Rain in abundance, O God, you showered abroad;
   you restored your heritage when it languished;
your flock found a dwelling in it;
   in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.

The Lord gives the command;
   great is the company of those* who bore the tidings:
   'The kings of the armies, they flee, they flee!'
The women at home divide the spoil,
   though they stay among the sheepfolds-
the wings of a dove covered with silver,
   its pinions with green gold.
When the Almighty* scattered kings there,
   snow fell on Zalmon.

O mighty mountain, mountain of Bashan;
   O many-peaked mountain, mountain of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O many-peaked mountain,
   at the mount that God desired for his abode,
   where the Lord will reside for ever?

With mighty chariotry, twice ten thousand,
   thousands upon thousands,
   the Lord came from Sinai into the holy place.*
You ascended the high mount,
   leading captives in your train
   and receiving gifts from people,
even from those who rebel against the Lord God's abiding there.
Blessed be the Lord,
   who daily bears us up;
   God is our salvation.
          Selah
Our God is a God of salvation,
   and to God, the Lord, belongs escape from death.

But God will shatter the heads of his enemies,
   the hairy crown of those who walk in their guilty ways.
The Lord said,
   'I will bring them back from Bashan,
I will bring them back from the depths of the sea,
so that you may bathe* your feet in blood,
   so that the tongues of your dogs may have their share from the foe.'

Your solemn processions are seen,* O God,
   the processions of my God, my King, into the sanctuary-
the singers in front, the musicians last,
   between them girls playing tambourines:
'Bless God in the great congregation,
   the Lord, O you who are of Israel's fountain!'
There is Benjamin, the least of them, in the lead,
   the princes of Judah in a body,
   the princes of Zebulun, the princes of Naphtali.

Summon your might, O God;
   show your strength, O God, as you have done for us before.
Because of your temple at Jerusalem
   kings bear gifts to you.
Rebuke the wild animals that live among the reeds,
   the herd of bulls with the calves of the peoples.
Trample* under foot those who lust after tribute;
   scatter the peoples who delight in war.*
Let bronze be brought from Egypt;
   let Ethiopia* hasten to stretch out its hands to God.

Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;
   sing praises to the Lord,
          Selah
O rider in the heavens, the ancient heavens;
   listen, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God,
   whose majesty is over Israel;
   and whose power is in the skies.
Awesome is God in his* sanctuary,
   the God of Israel;
   he gives power and strength to his people.

Blessed be God!