Wednesday 23 April 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Wed Apr 23 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Wednesday 23 April 2008

Leviticus 19:1-18

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying:

 Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them:
You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. You shall each
revere your mother and father, and you shall keep my sabbaths: I am the
Lord your God. Do not turn to idols or make cast images for yourselves:
I am the Lord your God.

 When you offer a sacrifice of well-being to the Lord, offer it in such
a way that it is acceptable in your behalf. It shall be eaten on the
same day you offer it, or on the next day; and anything left over until
the third day shall be consumed in fire. If it is eaten at all on the
third day, it is an abomination; it will not be acceptable. All who eat
it shall be subject to punishment, because they have profaned what is
holy to the Lord; and any such person shall be cut off from the people.

 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very
edges of your field, or gather the gleanings of your harvest. You shall
not strip your vineyard bare, or gather the fallen grapes of your
vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the alien: I am the Lord
your God.

 You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; and you shall not lie
to one another. And you shall not swear falsely by my name, profaning
the name of your God: I am the Lord.

 You shall not defraud your neighbour; you shall not steal; and you
shall not keep for yourself the wages of a labourer until morning. You
shall not revile the deaf or put a stumbling-block before the blind; you
shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

 You shall not render an unjust judgement; you shall not be partial to
the poor or defer to the great: with justice you shall judge your
neighbour. You shall not go around as a slanderer* among your people,
and you shall not profit by the blood* of your neighbour: I am the Lord.

 You shall not hate in your heart anyone of your kin; you shall reprove
your neighbour, or you will incur guilt yourself. You shall not take
vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, but you shall
love your neighbour as yourself: I am the Lord.
1 Thessalonians 5:12-28

But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters,* to respect those who labour
among you, and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; esteem
them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among
yourselves. And we urge you, beloved,* to admonish the idlers, encourage
the faint-hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them. See that
none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one
another and to all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in
all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise the words of prophets,* but
test everything; hold fast to what is good; abstain from every form of
evil.

 May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit
and soul and body be kept sound* and blameless at the coming of our Lord
Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.

 Beloved,* pray for us.

 Greet all the brothers and sisters* with a holy kiss. I solemnly
command you by the Lord that this letter be read to all of them.*

 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
Matthew 6:19-24

'Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust*
consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for
yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust* consumes
and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also.
 'The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your
whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is unhealthy, your
whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is
darkness, how great is the darkness!
 'No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and
love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You
cannot serve God and wealth.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 72

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,
   and your righteousness to a king's son.
May he judge your people with righteousness,
   and your poor with justice.
May the mountains yield prosperity for the people,
   and the hills, in righteousness.
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
   give deliverance to the needy,
   and crush the oppressor.

May he live* while the sun endures,
   and as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
May he be like rain that falls on the mown grass,
   like showers that water the earth.
In his days may righteousness flourish
   and peace abound, until the moon is no more.

May he have dominion from sea to sea,
   and from the River to the ends of the earth.
May his foes* bow down before him,
   and his enemies lick the dust.
May the kings of Tarshish and of the isles
   render him tribute,
may the kings of Sheba and Seba
   bring gifts.
May all kings fall down before him,
   all nations give him service.

For he delivers the needy when they call,
   the poor and those who have no helper.
He has pity on the weak and the needy,
   and saves the lives of the needy.
>From oppression and violence he redeems their life;
   and precious is their blood in his sight.

Long may he live!
   May gold of Sheba be given to him.
May prayer be made for him continually,
   and blessings invoked for him all day long.
May there be abundance of grain in the land;
   may it wave on the tops of the mountains;
   may its fruit be like Lebanon;
and may people blossom in the cities
   like the grass of the field.
May his name endure for ever,
   his fame continue as long as the sun.
May all nations be blessed in him;*
   may they pronounce him happy.

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   who alone does wondrous things.
Blessed be his glorious name for ever;
   may his glory fill the whole earth.Amen and Amen.

The prayers of David son of Jesse are ended.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 119:73-96

Psalm 119:73-96

Your hands have made and fashioned me;
   give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,
   because I have hoped in your word.
I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right,
   and that in faithfulness you have humbled me.
Let your steadfast love become my comfort
   according to your promise to your servant.
Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;
   for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   because they have subverted me with guile;
   as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
Let those who fear you turn to me,
   so that they may know your decrees.
May my heart be blameless in your statutes,
   so that I may not be put to shame.

My soul languishes for your salvation;
   I hope in your word.
My eyes fail with watching for your promise;
   I ask, 'When will you comfort me?'
For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke,
   yet I have not forgotten your statutes.
How long must your servant endure?
   When will you judge those who persecute me?
The arrogant have dug pitfalls for me;
   they flout your law.
All your commandments are enduring;
   I am persecuted without cause; help me!
They have almost made an end of me on earth;
   but I have not forsaken your precepts.
In your steadfast love spare my life,
   so that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

The Lord exists for ever;
   your word is firmly fixed in heaven.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
   you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
By your appointment they stand today,
   for all things are your servants.
If your law had not been my delight,
   I would have perished in my misery.
I will never forget your precepts,
   for by them you have given me life.
I am yours; save me,
   for I have sought your precepts.
The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
   but I consider your decrees.
I have seen a limit to all perfection,
   but your commandment is exceedingly broad.