Sunday 27 April 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Sun Apr 27 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Sunday 27 April 2008

Leviticus 25:1-17

The Lord spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai, saying: Speak to the people of
Israel and say to them: When you enter the land that I am giving you,
the land shall observe a sabbath for the Lord. For six years you shall
sow your field, and for six years you shall prune your vineyard, and
gather in their yield; but in the seventh year there shall be a sabbath
of complete rest for the land, a sabbath for the Lord: you shall not sow
your field or prune your vineyard. You shall not reap the aftergrowth of
your harvest or gather the grapes of your unpruned vine: it shall be a
year of complete rest for the land. You may eat what the land yields
during its sabbath-you, your male and female slaves, your hired and your
bound labourers who live with you; for your livestock also, and for the
wild animals in your land all its yield shall be for food.
 You shall count off seven weeks* of years, seven times seven years, so
that the period of seven weeks of years gives forty-nine years. Then you
shall have the trumpet sounded loud; on the tenth day of the seventh
month-on the day of atonement-you shall have the trumpet sounded
throughout all your land. And you shall hallow the fiftieth year and you
shall proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It
shall be a jubilee for you: you shall return, every one of you, to your
property and every one of you to your family. That fiftieth year shall
be a jubilee for you: you shall not sow, or reap the aftergrowth, or
harvest the unpruned vines. For it is a jubilee; it shall be holy to
you: you shall eat only what the field itself produces.

 In this year of jubilee you shall return, every one of you, to your
property. When you make a sale to your neighbour or buy from your
neighbour, you shall not cheat one another. When you buy from your
neighbour, you shall pay only for the number of years since the jubilee;
the seller shall charge you only for the remaining crop-years. If the
years are more, you shall increase the price, and if the years are
fewer, you shall diminish the price; for it is a certain number of
harvests that are being sold to you. You shall not cheat one another,
but you shall fear your God; for I am the Lord your God.
James 1:2-8;16-18

My brothers and sisters,* whenever you face trials of any kind, consider
it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith
produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you
may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing.

 If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all
generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you. But ask in faith,
never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven
and tossed by the wind; for the doubter, being double-minded and
unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything from the
Lord. Do not be deceived, my beloved.*

 Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above,
coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation
or shadow due to change.* In fulfilment of his own purpose he gave us
birth by the word of truth, so that we would become a kind of first
fruits of his creatures.
Luke 12:13-21

Someone in the crowd said to him, 'Teacher, tell my brother to divide
the family inheritance with me.' But he said to him, 'Friend, who set me
to be a judge or arbitrator over you?' And he said to them, 'Take care!
Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one's life does not
consist in the abundance of possessions.' Then he told them a parable:
'The land of a rich man produced abundantly. And he thought to himself,
"What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?" Then he said,
"I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and
there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul,
Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be
merry." But God said to him, "You fool! This very night your life is
being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they
be?" So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are
not rich towards God.'
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 93, 96

Psalm 93

The Lord is king, he is robed in majesty;
   the Lord is robed, he is girded with strength.
He has established the world; it shall never be moved;
   your throne is established from of old;
   you are from everlasting.

The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
   the floods have lifted up their voice;
   the floods lift up their roaring.
More majestic than the thunders of mighty waters,
   more majestic than the waves* of the sea,
   majestic on high is the Lord!

Your decrees are very sure;
   holiness befits your house,
   O Lord, for evermore.

Psalm 96

O sing to the Lord a new song;
   sing to the Lord, all the earth.
Sing to the Lord, bless his name;
   tell of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
   his marvellous works among all the peoples.
For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
   he is to be revered above all gods.
For all the gods of the peoples are idols,
   but the Lord made the heavens.
Honour and majesty are before him;
   strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.

Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples,
   ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
   bring an offering, and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in holy splendour;
   tremble before him, all the earth.

Say among the nations, 'The Lord is king!
   The world is firmly established; it shall never be moved.
   He will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
   let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
   let the field exult, and everything in it.
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
   before the Lord; for he is coming,
   for he is coming to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
   and the peoples with his truth.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 34

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;
   his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
   let the humble hear and be glad.
O magnify the Lord with me,
   and let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me,
   and delivered me from all my fears.
Look to him, and be radiant;
   so your* faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
   and was saved from every trouble.
The angel of the Lord encamps
   around those who fear him, and delivers them.
O taste and see that the Lord is good;
   happy are those who take refuge in him.
O fear the Lord, you his holy ones,
   for those who fear him have no want.
The young lions suffer want and hunger,
   but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

Come, O children, listen to me;
   I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Which of you desires life,
   and covets many days to enjoy good?
Keep your tongue from evil,
   and your lips from speaking deceit.
Depart from evil, and do good;
   seek peace, and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against evildoers,
   to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears,
   and rescues them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the broken-hearted,
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
   but the Lord rescues them from them all.
He keeps all their bones;
   not one of them will be broken.
Evil brings death to the wicked,
   and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
   none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.