Monday 7 April 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Mon Apr 7 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Monday 7 April 2008

Exodus 18:13-27

The next day Moses sat as judge for the people, while the people stood
around him from morning until evening. When Moses' father-in-law saw all
that he was doing for the people, he said, 'What is this that you are
doing for the people? Why do you sit alone, while all the people stand
around you from morning until evening?' Moses said to his father-in-law,
'Because the people come to me to inquire of God. When they have a
dispute, they come to me and I decide between one person and another,
and I make known to them the statutes and instructions of God.' Moses"
father-in-law said to him, 'What you are doing is not good. You will
surely wear yourself out, both you and these people with you. For the
task is too heavy for you; you cannot do it alone. Now listen to me. I
will give you counsel, and God be with you! You should represent the
people before God, and you should bring their cases before God; teach
them the statutes and instructions and make known to them the way they
are to go and the things they are to do. You should also look for able
men among all the people, men who fear God, are trustworthy, and hate
dishonest gain; set such men over them as officers over thousands,
hundreds, fifties and tens. Let them sit as judges for the people at all
times; let them bring every important case to you, but decide every
minor case themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear
the burden with you. If you do this, and God so commands you, then you
will be able to endure, and all these people will go to their home in
peace.'

 So Moses listened to his father-in-law and did all that he had said.
Moses chose able men from all Israel and appointed them as heads over
the people, as officers over thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens. And
they judged the people at all times; hard cases they brought to Moses,
but any minor case they decided themselves. Then Moses let his
father-in-law depart, and he went off to his own country.
1 Peter 5:1-14

Now as an elder myself and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as
well as one who shares in the glory to be revealed, I exhort the elders
among you to tend the flock of God that is in your charge, exercising
the oversight,* not under compulsion but willingly, as God would have
you do it*-not for sordid gain but eagerly. Do not lord it over those in
your charge, but be examples to the flock. And when the chief shepherd
appears, you will win the crown of glory that never fades away. In the
same way, you who are younger must accept the authority of the elders.*
And all of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings
with one another, for
'God opposes the proud,
   but gives grace to the humble.'

 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he
may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he
cares for you. Discipline yourselves; keep alert.* Like a roaring lion
your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour.
Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and
sisters* throughout the world are undergoing the same kinds of
suffering. And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of
all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will
himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the
power for ever and ever. Amen.
 Through Silvanus, whom I consider a faithful brother, I have written
this short letter to encourage you, and to testify that this is the true
grace of God. Stand fast in it. Your sister church* in Babylon, chosen
together with you, sends you greetings; and so does my son Mark. Greet
one another with a kiss of love.

Peace to all of you who are in Christ.*
Matthew 1:1-17, 3:1-6

An account of the genealogy* of Jesus the Messiah,* the son of David,
the son of Abraham.

 Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac the father of Jacob, and
Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, and Judah the father of
Perez and Zerah by Tamar, and Perez the father of Hezron, and Hezron the
father of Aram, and Aram the father of Aminadab, and Aminadab the father
of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon, and Salmon the father of
Boaz by Rahab, and Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father
of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King David.

And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah, and Solomon
the father of Rehoboam, and Rehoboam the father of Abijah, and Abijah
the father of Asaph,* and Asaph* the father of Jehoshaphat, and
Jehoshaphat the father of Joram, and Joram the father of Uzziah, and
Uzziah the father of Jotham, and Jotham the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz the
father of Hezekiah, and Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, and Manasseh
the father of Amos,* and Amos* the father of Josiah, and Josiah the
father of Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the deportation to
Babylon.

 And after the deportation to Babylon: Jechoniah was the father of
Salathiel, and Salathiel the father of Zerubbabel, and Zerubbabel the
father of Abiud, and Abiud the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim the father
of Azor, and Azor the father of Zadok, and Zadok the father of Achim,
and Achim the father of Eliud, and Eliud the father of Eleazar, and
Eleazar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob, and
Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born,
who is called the Messiah.*

 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations;
and from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and
from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah,* fourteen generations.

In those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea,
proclaiming, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.'* This is
the one of whom the prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,
'The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
"Prepare the way of the Lord,
   make his paths straight." '
Now John wore clothing of camel's hair with a leather belt around his
waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then the people of
Jerusalem and all Judea were going out to him, and all the region along
the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan,
confessing their sins.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 25

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust;
   do not let me be put to shame;
   do not let my enemies exult over me.
Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame;
   let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
   teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth, and teach me,
   for you are the God of my salvation;
   for you I wait all day long.

Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love,
   for they have been from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
   according to your steadfast love remember me,
   for your goodness' sake, O Lord!

Good and upright is the Lord;
   therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
He leads the humble in what is right,
   and teaches the humble his way.
All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
   for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.

For your name's sake, O Lord,
   pardon my guilt, for it is great.
Who are they that fear the Lord?
   He will teach them the way that they should choose.

They will abide in prosperity,
   and their children shall possess the land.
The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
   and he makes his covenant known to them.
My eyes are ever towards the Lord,
   for he will pluck my feet out of the net.

Turn to me and be gracious to me,
   for I am lonely and afflicted.
Relieve the troubles of my heart,
   and bring me* out of my distress.
Consider my affliction and my trouble,
   and forgive all my sins.

Consider how many are my foes,
   and with what violent hatred they hate me.
O guard my life, and deliver me;
   do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
   for I wait for you.

Redeem Israel, O God,
   out of all its troubles.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 9, 15

Psalm 9

I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;
   I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
   I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

When my enemies turned back,
   they stumbled and perished before you.
For you have maintained my just cause;
   you have sat on the throne giving righteous judgement.

You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked;
   you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
The enemies have vanished in everlasting ruins;
   their cities you have rooted out;
   the very memory of them has perished.

But the Lord sits enthroned for ever,
   he has established his throne for judgement.
He judges the world with righteousness;
   he judges the peoples with equity.

The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed,
   a stronghold in times of trouble.
And those who know your name put their trust in you,
   for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

Sing praises to the Lord, who dwells in Zion.
   Declare his deeds among the peoples.
For he who avenges blood is mindful of them;
   he does not forget the cry of the afflicted.

Be gracious to me, O Lord.
   See what I suffer from those who hate me;
   you are the one who lifts me up from the gates of death,
so that I may recount all your praises,
   and, in the gates of daughter Zion,
   rejoice in your deliverance.

The nations have sunk in the pit that they made;
   in the net that they hid has their own foot been caught.
The Lord has made himself known, he has executed judgement;
   the wicked are snared in the work of their own hands.
          Higgaion. Selah

The wicked shall depart to Sheol,
   all the nations that forget God.

For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
   nor the hope of the poor perish for ever.

Rise up, O Lord! Do not let mortals prevail;
   let the nations be judged before you.
Put them in fear, O Lord;
   let the nations know that they are only human.

O Lord, who may abide in your tent?
   Who may dwell on your holy hill?

Those who walk blamelessly, and do what is right,
   and speak the truth from their heart;
who do not slander with their tongue,
   and do no evil to their friends,
   nor take up a reproach against their neighbours;
in whose eyes the wicked are despised,
   but who honour those who fear the Lord;
who stand by their oath even to their hurt;
who do not lend money at interest,
   and do not take a bribe against the innocent.

Those who do these things shall never be moved.