Friday 25 April 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Fri Apr 25 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Friday 25 April 2008

Leviticus 23:1-22

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Speak to the people of Israel and say
to them: These are the appointed festivals of the Lord that you shall
proclaim as holy convocations, my appointed festivals.
 For six days shall work be done; but the seventh day is a sabbath of
complete rest, a holy convocation; you shall do no work: it is a sabbath
to the Lord throughout your settlements.

 These are the appointed festivals of the Lord, the holy convocations,
which you shall celebrate at the time appointed for them. In the first
month, on the fourteenth day of the month, at twilight,* there shall be
a passover-offering to the Lord, and on the fifteenth day of the same
month is the festival of unleavened bread to the Lord; for seven days
you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall have a holy
convocation; you shall not work at your occupations. For seven days you
shall present the Lord's offerings by fire; on the seventh day there
shall be a holy convocation: you shall not work at your occupations.
 The Lord spoke to Moses: Speak to the people of Israel and say to them:
When you enter the land that I am giving you and you reap its harvest,
you shall bring the sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest to the
priest. He shall raise the sheaf before the Lord, so that you may find
acceptance; on the day after the sabbath the priest shall raise it. On
the day when you raise the sheaf, you shall offer a lamb a year old,
without blemish, as a burnt-offering to the Lord. And the grain-offering
with it shall be two-tenths of an ephah of choice flour mixed with oil,
an offering by fire of pleasing odour to the Lord; and the
drink-offering with it shall be of wine, one-fourth of a hin. You shall
eat no bread or parched grain or fresh ears until that very day, until
you have brought the offering of your God: it is a statute for ever
throughout your generations in all your settlements.
 And from the day after the sabbath, from the day on which you bring the
sheaf of the elevation-offering, you shall count off seven weeks; they
shall be complete. You shall count until the day after the seventh
sabbath, fifty days; then you shall present an offering of new grain to
the Lord. You shall bring from your settlements two loaves of bread as
an elevation-offering, each made of two-tenths of an ephah; they shall
be of choice flour, baked with leaven, as first fruits to the Lord. You
shall present with the bread seven lambs a year old without blemish, one
young bull, and two rams; they shall be a burnt-offering to the Lord,
along with their grain-offering and their drink-offerings, an offering
by fire of pleasing odour to the Lord. You shall also offer one male
goat for a sin-offering, and two male lambs a year old as a sacrifice of
well-being. The priest shall raise them with the bread of the first
fruits as an elevation-offering before the Lord, together with the two
lambs; they shall be holy to the Lord for the priest. On that same day
you shall make proclamation; you shall hold a holy convocation; you
shall not work at your occupations. This is a statute for ever in all
your settlements throughout your generations.

 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very
edges of your field, or gather the gleanings of your harvest; you shall
leave them for the poor and for the alien: I am the Lord your God.
2 Thessalonians 2:1-17

As to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered
together to him, we beg you, brothers and sisters,* not to be quickly
shaken in mind or alarmed, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as
though from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord is already here.
Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come unless the
rebellion comes first and the lawless one* is revealed, the one destined
for destruction.* He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called
god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of
God, declaring himself to be God. Do you not remember that I told you
these things when I was still with you? And you know what is now
restraining him, so that he may be revealed when his time comes. For the
mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but only until the one who
now restrains it is removed. And then the lawless one will be revealed,
whom the Lord Jesus* will destroy* with the breath of his mouth,
annihilating him by the manifestation of his coming. The coming of the
lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who uses all power,
signs, lying wonders, and every kind of wicked deception for those who
are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.
For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion, leading them to
believe what is false, so that all who have not believed the truth but
took pleasure in unrighteousness will be condemned.
 But we must always give thanks to God for you, brothers and sisters*
beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits* for
salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and through belief in the
truth. For this purpose he called you through our proclamation of the
good news,* so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
So then, brothers and sisters,* stand firm and hold fast to the
traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our
letter.

 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us
and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your
hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.
Matthew 7:1-12

'Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgement you
make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure
you get. Why do you see the speck in your neighbour's* eye, but do not
notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbour,*
"Let me take the speck out of your eye", while the log is in your own
eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you
will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbour's* eye.
 'Do not give what is holy to dogs; and do not throw your pearls before
swine, or they will trample them under foot and turn and maul you.
 'Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock,
and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and
everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will
be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread,
will give a stone? Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake?
If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who
ask him!
 'In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this
is the law and the prophets.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 106:1-18

Psalm 106:1-18

Praise the Lord!
   O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
   for his steadfast love endures for ever.
Who can utter the mighty doings of the Lord,
   or declare all his praise?
Happy are those who observe justice,
   who do righteousness at all times.

Remember me, O Lord, when you show favour to your people;
   help me when you deliver them;
that I may see the prosperity of your chosen ones,
   that I may rejoice in the gladness of your nation,
   that I may glory in your heritage.

Both we and our ancestors have sinned;
   we have committed iniquity, have done wickedly.
Our ancestors, when they were in Egypt,
   did not consider your wonderful works;
they did not remember the abundance of your steadfast love,
   but rebelled against the Most High* at the Red Sea.*
Yet he saved them for his name's sake,
   so that he might make known his mighty power.
He rebuked the Red Sea,* and it became dry;
   he led them through the deep as through a desert.
So he saved them from the hand of the foe,
   and delivered them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their adversaries;
   not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words;
   they sang his praise.

But they soon forgot his works;
   they did not wait for his counsel.
But they had a wanton craving in the wilderness,
   and put God to the test in the desert;
he gave them what they asked,
   but sent a wasting disease among them.

They were jealous of Moses in the camp,
   and of Aaron, the holy one of the Lord.
The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan,
   and covered the faction of Abiram.
Fire also broke out in their company;
   the flame burned up the wicked.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 106:19-48

Psalm 106:19-48

They made a calf at Horeb
   and worshipped a cast image.
They exchanged the glory of God*
   for the image of an ox that eats grass.
They forgot God, their Saviour,
   who had done great things in Egypt,
wondrous works in the land of Ham,
   and awesome deeds by the Red Sea.*
Therefore he said he would destroy them-
   had not Moses, his chosen one,
stood in the breach before him,
   to turn away his wrath from destroying them.

Then they despised the pleasant land,
   having no faith in his promise.
They grumbled in their tents,
   and did not obey the voice of the Lord.
Therefore he raised his hand and swore to them
   that he would make them fall in the wilderness,
and would disperse* their descendants among the nations,
   scattering them over the lands.

Then they attached themselves to the Baal of Peor,
   and ate sacrifices offered to the dead;
they provoked the Lord to anger with their deeds,
   and a plague broke out among them.
Then Phinehas stood up and interceded,
   and the plague was stopped.
And that has been reckoned to him as righteousness
   from generation to generation for ever.

They angered the Lord * at the waters of Meribah,
   and it went ill with Moses on their account;
for they made his spirit bitter,
   and he spoke words that were rash.

They did not destroy the peoples
   as the Lord commanded them,
but they mingled with the nations
   and learned to do as they did.
They served their idols,
   which became a snare to them.
They sacrificed their sons
   and their daughters to the demons;
they poured out innocent blood,
   the blood of their sons and daughters,
whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan;
   and the land was polluted with blood.
Thus they became unclean by their acts,
   and prostituted themselves in their doings.

Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against his people,
   and he abhorred his heritage;
he gave them into the hand of the nations,
   so that those who hated them ruled over them.
Their enemies oppressed them,
   and they were brought into subjection under their power.
Many times he delivered them,
   but they were rebellious in their purposes,
   and were brought low through their iniquity.
Nevertheless, he regarded their distress
   when he heard their cry.
For their sake he remembered his covenant,
   and showed compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast
love.
He caused them to be pitied
   by all who held them captive.

Save us, O Lord our God,
   and gather us from among the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy name
   and glory in your praise.

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting to everlasting.
And let all the people say, 'Amen.'