Thursday 26 June 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Jun 26 02:00:00 EDT 2008

NOTE: THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED RE:THE STRANGE CHARACTERS THAT SOMETIMES
SHOW UP. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN THE STRANGE CHARACTERS GO AWAY. I AM
NOW IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING VARIOUS FIXES.

---------------

Thursday 26 June 2008

Numbers 17:1-11

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Speak to the Israelites, and get twelve
staffs from them, one for each ancestral house, from all the leaders of
their ancestral houses. Write each man’s name on his staff, and write
Aaron’s name on the staff of Levi. For there shall be one staff for
the head of each ancestral house. Place them in the tent of meeting
before the covenant,* where I meet with you. And the staff of the man
whom I choose shall sprout; thus I will put a stop to the complaints of
the Israelites that they continually make against you. Moses spoke to
the Israelites; and all their leaders gave him staffs, one for each
leader, according to their ancestral houses, twelve staffs; and the
staff of Aaron was among theirs. So Moses placed the staffs before the
Lord in the tent of the covenant.*

 When Moses went into the tent of the covenant* on the next day, the
staff of Aaron for the house of Levi had sprouted. It put forth buds,
produced blossoms, and bore ripe almonds. Then Moses brought out all the
staffs from before the Lord to all the Israelites; and they looked, and
each man took his staff. And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Put back the
staff of Aaron before the covenant,* to be kept as a warning to rebels,
so that you may make an end of their complaints against me, or else they
will die.’ Moses did so; just as the Lord commanded him, so he did.
Romans 5:1-11

Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we* have peace with God
through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have obtained access* to
this grace in which we stand; and we* boast in our hope of sharing the
glory of God. And not only that, but we* also boast in our sufferings,
knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces
character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us,
because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy
Spirit that has been given to us.

 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the
ungodly. Indeed, rarely will anyone die for a righteous person—though
perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die. But God
proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died
for us. Much more surely then, now that we have been justified by his
blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath of God.* For if while
we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son,
much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life.
But more than that, we even boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
through whom we have now received reconciliation.
Matthew 20:17-28

While Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples
aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, ‘See, we are going
up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief
priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death; then they will
hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified;
and on the third day he will be raised.’
 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and
kneeling before him, she asked a favour of him. And he said to her,
‘What do you want?’ She said to him, ‘Declare that these two sons
of mine will sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your
kingdom.’ But Jesus answered, ‘You do not know what you are asking.
Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?’* They said to
him, ‘We are able.’ He said to them, ‘You will indeed drink my
cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left, this is not mine to
grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my
Father.’

 When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two brothers. But Jesus
called them to him and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles
lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. It will
not be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you must be
your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be your
slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to
give his life a ransom for many.’
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 105:1-22

Psalm 105:1-22

O give thanks to the Lord, call on his name,
   make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him;
   tell of all his wonderful works.
Glory in his holy name;
   let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Seek the Lord and his strength;
   seek his presence continually.
Remember the wonderful works he has done,
   his miracles, and the judgements he has uttered,
O offspring of his servant Abraham,*
   children of Jacob, his chosen ones.

He is the Lord our God;
   his judgements are in all the earth.
He is mindful of his covenant for ever,
   of the word that he commanded, for a thousand generations,
the covenant that he made with Abraham,
   his sworn promise to Isaac,
which he confirmed to Jacob as a statute,
   to Israel as an everlasting covenant,
saying, ‘To you I will give the land of Canaan
   as your portion for an inheritance.’

When they were few in number,
   of little account, and strangers in it,
wandering from nation to nation,
   from one kingdom to another people,
he allowed no one to oppress them;
   he rebuked kings on their account,
saying, ‘Do not touch my anointed ones;
   do my prophets no harm.’

When he summoned famine against the land,
   and broke every staff of bread,
he had sent a man ahead of them,
   Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
His feet were hurt with fetters,
   his neck was put in a collar of iron;
until what he had said came to pass,
   the word of the Lord kept testing him.
The king sent and released him;
   the ruler of the peoples set him free.
He made him lord of his house,
   and ruler of all his possessions,
to instruct* his officials at his pleasure,
   and to teach his elders wisdom.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 105:23-45

Psalm 105:23-45

Then Israel came to Egypt;
   Jacob lived as an alien in the land of Ham.
And the Lord made his people very fruitful,
   and made them stronger than their foes,
whose hearts he then turned to hate his people,
   to deal craftily with his servants.

He sent his servant Moses,
   and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They performed his signs among them,
   and miracles in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness, and made the land dark;
   they rebelled* against his words.
He turned their waters into blood,
   and caused their fish to die.
Their land swarmed with frogs,
   even in the chambers of their kings.
He spoke, and there came swarms of flies,
   and gnats throughout their country.
He gave them hail for rain,
   and lightning that flashed through their land.
He struck their vines and fig trees,
   and shattered the trees of their country.
He spoke, and the locusts came,
   and young locusts without number;
they devoured all the vegetation in their land,
   and ate up the fruit of their ground.
He struck down all the firstborn in their land,
   the first issue of all their strength.

Then he brought Israel* out with silver and gold,
   and there was no one among their tribes who stumbled.
Egypt was glad when they departed,
   for dread of them had fallen upon it.
He spread a cloud for a covering,
   and fire to give light by night.
They asked, and he brought quails,
   and gave them food from heaven in abundance.
He opened the rock, and water gushed out;
   it flowed through the desert like a river.
For he remembered his holy promise,
   and Abraham, his servant.

So he brought his people out with joy,
   his chosen ones with singing.
He gave them the lands of the nations,
   and they took possession of the wealth of the peoples,
that they might keep his statutes
   and observe his laws.
Praise the Lord!