Monday 24 March 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Mon Mar 24 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Monday 24 March 2008

Exodus 12:14-27

This day shall be a day of remembrance for you. You shall celebrate it
as a festival to the Lord; throughout your generations you shall observe
it as a perpetual ordinance. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread;
on the first day you shall remove leaven from your houses, for whoever
eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day shall be
cut off from Israel. On the first day you shall hold a solemn assembly,
and on the seventh day a solemn assembly; no work shall be done on those
days; only what everyone must eat, that alone may be prepared by you.
You shall observe the festival of unleavened bread, for on this very day
I brought your companies out of the land of Egypt: you shall observe
this day throughout your generations as a perpetual ordinance. In the
first month, from the evening of the fourteenth day until the evening of
the twenty-first day, you shall eat unleavened bread. For seven days no
leaven shall be found in your houses; for whoever eats what is leavened
shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether an alien or a
native of the land. You shall eat nothing leavened; in all your
settlements you shall eat unleavened bread.

 Then Moses called all the elders of Israel and said to them, 'Go,
select lambs for your families, and slaughter the passover lamb. Take a
bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and touch the
lintel and the two doorposts with the blood in the basin. None of you
shall go outside the door of your house until morning. For the Lord will
pass through to strike down the Egyptians; when he sees the blood on the
lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over that door and
will not allow the destroyer to enter your houses to strike you down.
You shall observe this rite as a perpetual ordinance for you and your
children. When you come to the land that the Lord will give you, as he
has promised, you shall keep this observance. And when your children ask
you, "What do you mean by this observance?" you shall say, "It is the
passover sacrifice to the Lord, for he passed over the houses of the
Israelites in Egypt, when he struck down the Egyptians but spared our
houses." ' And the people bowed down and worshipped
1 Corinthians 15:1-11

Now I should remind you, brothers and sisters,* of the good news* that I
proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand,
through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the
message that I proclaimed to you-unless you have come to believe in
vain.

 For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had
received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the
scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third
day in accordance with the scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas,
then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers
and sisters* at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have
died.* Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all,
as to someone untimely born, he appeared also to me. For I am the least
of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the
church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace
towards me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than
any of them-though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
Whether then it was I or they, so we proclaim and so you have come to
believe.
Mark 16:1-8

When the sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James,
and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. And very
early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to
the tomb. They had been saying to one another, 'Who will roll away the
stone for us from the entrance to the tomb?' When they looked up, they
saw that the stone, which was very large, had already been rolled back.
As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man, dressed in a white robe,
sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed. But he said to them,
'Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was
crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Look, there is the place
they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going
ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you.'
So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had
seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.*
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 93, 98

Psalm 93

The Lord is king, he is robed in majesty;
   the Lord is robed, he is girded with strength.
He has established the world; it shall never be moved;
   your throne is established from of old;
   you are from everlasting.

The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
   the floods have lifted up their voice;
   the floods lift up their roaring.
More majestic than the thunders of mighty waters,
   more majestic than the waves* of the sea,
   majestic on high is the Lord!

Your decrees are very sure;
   holiness befits your house,
   O Lord, for evermore.

Psalm 98

O sing to the Lord a new song,
   for he has done marvellous things.
His right hand and his holy arm
   have gained him victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;
   he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.
He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel.
All the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth;
   break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre,
   with the lyre and the sound of melody.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
   make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.

Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
   the world and those who live in it.
Let the floods clap their hands;
   let the hills sing together for joy
at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming
   to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
   and the peoples with equity.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 66

Psalm 66

Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;
   sing the glory of his name;
   give to him glorious praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!
   Because of your great power, your enemies cringe before you.
All the earth worships you;
   they sing praises to you,
   sing praises to your name.'
          Selah

Come and see what God has done:
   he is awesome in his deeds among mortals.
He turned the sea into dry land;
   they passed through the river on foot.
There we rejoiced in him,
   who rules by his might for ever,
whose eyes keep watch on the nations-
   let the rebellious not exalt themselves.
          Selah

Bless our God, O peoples,
   let the sound of his praise be heard,
who has kept us among the living,
   and has not let our feet slip.
For you, O God, have tested us;
   you have tried us as silver is tried.
You brought us into the net;
   you laid burdens on our backs;
you let people ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and through water;
yet you have brought us out to a spacious place.*

I will come into your house with burnt-offerings;
   I will pay you my vows,
those that my lips uttered
   and my mouth promised when I was in trouble.
I will offer to you burnt-offerings of fatlings,
   with the smoke of the sacrifice of rams;
I will make an offering of bulls and goats.
          Selah

Come and hear, all you who fear God,
   and I will tell what he has done for me.
I cried aloud to him,
   and he was extolled with my tongue.
If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
   the Lord would not have listened.
But truly God has listened;
   he has given heed to the words of my prayer.

Blessed be God,
   because he has not rejected my prayer
   or removed his steadfast love from me.