Friday 28 March 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Fri Mar 28 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Friday 28 March 2008

Exodus 13:1-2, 11-16

The Lord said to Moses: Consecrate to me all the firstborn; whatever is
the first to open the womb among the Israelites, of human beings and
animals, is mine.
 'When the Lord has brought you into the land of the Canaanites, as he
swore to you and your ancestors, and has given it to you, you shall set
apart to the Lord all that first opens the womb. All the firstborn of
your livestock that are males shall be the Lord's. But every firstborn
donkey you shall redeem with a sheep; if you do not redeem it, you must
break its neck. Every firstborn male among your children you shall
redeem. When in the future your child asks you, "What does this mean?"
you shall answer, "By strength of hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt,
from the house of slavery. When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go,
the Lord killed all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from human
firstborn to the firstborn of animals. Therefore I sacrifice to the Lord
every male that first opens the womb, but every firstborn of my sons I
redeem." It shall serve as a sign on your hand and as an emblem* on your
forehead that by strength of hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt.'
1 Corinthians 15:51-58

Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die,* but we will all
be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last
trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised
imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable body must put
on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When
this perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts
on immortality, then the saying that is written will be fulfilled:
'Death has been swallowed up in victory.'
'Where, O death, is your victory?
   Where, O death, is your sting?'
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks
be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

 Therefore, my beloved,* be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in
the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labour is
not in vain.
Luke 24:1-12

But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb,
taking the spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled
away from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body.*
While they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men in dazzling
clothes stood beside them. The women* were terrified and bowed their
faces to the ground, but the men* said to them, 'Why do you look for the
living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen.* Remember how he
told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be
handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise
again.' Then they remembered his words, and returning from the tomb,
they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest. Now it was Mary
Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with
them who told this to the apostles. But these words seemed to them an
idle tale, and they did not believe them. But Peter got up and ran to
the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by
themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened.*
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 136

Psalm 136

O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever.
O give thanks to the God of gods,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever.
O give thanks to the Lord of lords,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;

who alone does great wonders,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who by understanding made the heavens,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who spread out the earth on the waters,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who made the great lights,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
the sun to rule over the day,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
the moon and stars to rule over the night,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;

who struck Egypt through their firstborn,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
and brought Israel out from among them,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
with a strong hand and an outstretched arm,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who divided the Red Sea* in two,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
and made Israel pass through the midst of it,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
but overthrew Pharaoh and his army in the Red Sea,*
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who led his people through the wilderness,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who struck down great kings,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
and killed famous kings,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
and Og, king of Bashan,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
and gave their land as a heritage,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
a heritage to his servant Israel,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever.

It is he who remembered us in our low estate,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
and rescued us from our foes,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever;
who gives food to all flesh,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever.

O give thanks to the God of heaven,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 118

Psalm 118

O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
   his steadfast love endures for ever!

Let Israel say,
   'His steadfast love endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron say,
   'His steadfast love endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord say,
   'His steadfast love endures for ever.'

Out of my distress I called on the Lord;
   the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
With the Lord on my side I do not fear.
   What can mortals do to me?
The Lord is on my side to help me;
   I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
   than to put confidence in mortals.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
   than to put confidence in princes.

All nations surrounded me;
   in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side;
   in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
They surrounded me like bees;
   they blazed* like a fire of thorns;
   in the name of the Lord I cut them off!
I was pushed hard,* so that I was falling,
   but the Lord helped me.
The Lord is my strength and my might;
   he has become my salvation.

There are glad songs of victory in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord does valiantly;
   the right hand of the Lord is exalted;
   the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.'
I shall not die, but I shall live,
   and recount the deeds of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me severely,
   but he did not give me over to death.

Open to me the gates of righteousness,
   that I may enter through them
   and give thanks to the Lord.

This is the gate of the Lord;
   the righteous shall enter through it.

I thank you that you have answered me
   and have become my salvation.
The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the chief cornerstone.
This is the Lord's doing;
   it is marvellous in our eyes.
This is the day that the Lord has made;
   let us rejoice and be glad in it.*
Save us, we beseech you, O Lord!
   O Lord, we beseech you, give us success!

Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.*
   We bless you from the house of the Lord.
The Lord is God,
   and he has given us light.
Bind the festal procession with branches,
   up to the horns of the altar.*

You are my God, and I will give thanks to you;
   you are my God, I will extol you.