Tuesday 3 April 2012 DAILY LECTIONARY

Daily Lectionary info at dailylectionary.org
Tue Apr 3 01:00:03 EDT 2012

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Lamentations 1:17-22

Zion stretches out her hands,
   but there is no one to comfort her;
the Lord has commanded against Jacob
   that his neighbours should become his foes;
Jerusalem has become
   a filthy thing among them.

The Lord is in the right,
   for I have rebelled against his word;
but hear, all you peoples,
   and behold my suffering;
my young women and young men
   have gone into captivity.

I called to my lovers
   but they deceived me;
my priests and elders
   perished in the city
while seeking food
   to revive their strength.

See, O Lord, how distressed I am;
   my stomach churns,
my heart is wrung within me,
   because I have been very rebellious.
In the street the sword bereaves;
   in the house it is like death.

They heard how I was groaning,
   with no one to comfort me.
All my enemies heard of my trouble;
   they are glad that you have done it.
Bring on the day you have announced,
   and let them be as I am.

Let all their evildoing come before you;
   and deal with them
as you have dealt with me
   because of all my transgressions;
for my groans are many
   and my heart is faint.
2 Corinthians 1:8-22

We do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters,* of the affliction we experienced in Asia; for we were so utterly, unbearably crushed that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death so that we would rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He who rescued us from so deadly a peril will continue to rescue us; on him we have set our hope that he will rescue us again, as you also join in helping us by your prayers, so that many will give thanks on our* behalf for the blessing granted to us through the prayers of many.
 Indeed, this is our boast, the testimony of our conscience: we have behaved in the world with frankness* and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God—and all the more towards you. For we write to you nothing other than what you can read and also understand; I hope you will understand until the end— as you have already understood us in part—that on the day of the Lord Jesus we are your boast even as you are our boast.

 Since I was sure of this, I wanted to come to you first, so that you might have a double favour;* I wanted to visit you on my way to Macedonia, and to come back to you from Macedonia and have you send me on to Judea. Was I vacillating when I wanted to do this? Do I make my plans according to ordinary human standards,* ready to say ‘Yes, yes’ and ‘No, no’ at the same time? As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been ‘Yes and No.’ For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not ‘Yes and No’; but in him it is always ‘Yes.’ For in him every one of God’s promises is a ‘Yes.’ For this reason it is through him that we say the ‘Amen’, to the glory of God. But it is God who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us, by putting his seal on us and giving us his Spirit in our hearts as a first instalment.
Mark 11:27-33

Again they came to Jerusalem. As he was walking in the temple, the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders came to him and said, ‘By what authority are you doing these things? Who gave you this authority to do them?’ Jesus said to them, ‘I will ask you one question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin? Answer me.’ They argued with one another, ‘If we say, “From heaven”, he will say, “Why then did you not believe him?” But shall we say, “Of human origin”?’—they were afraid of the crowd, for all regarded John as truly a prophet. So they answered Jesus, ‘We do not know.’ And Jesus said to them, ‘Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.’
Morning Psalms: Psalm 6, 12

Psalm 6

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
   or discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
   O Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
My soul also is struck with terror,
   while you, O Lord—how long?

Turn, O Lord, save my life;
   deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
   in Sheol who can give you praise?

I am weary with my moaning;
   every night I flood my bed with tears;
   I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eyes waste away because of grief;
   they grow weak because of all my foes.

Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
   for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;
   the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror;
   they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.

Psalm 12

Help, O Lord, for there is no longer anyone who is godly;
   the faithful have disappeared from humankind.
They utter lies to each other;
   with flattering lips and a double heart they speak.

May the Lord cut off all flattering lips,
   the tongue that makes great boasts,
those who say, ‘With our tongues we will prevail;
   our lips are our own—who is our master?’

‘Because the poor are despoiled, because the needy groan,
   I will now rise up,’ says the Lord;
   ‘I will place them in the safety for which they long.’
The promises of the Lord are promises that are pure,
   silver refined in a furnace on the ground,
   purified seven times.

You, O Lord, will protect us;
   you will guard us from this generation for ever.
On every side the wicked prowl,
   as vileness is exalted among humankind.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 94

Psalm 94

O Lord, you God of vengeance,
   you God of vengeance, shine forth!
Rise up, O judge of the earth;
   give to the proud what they deserve!
O Lord, how long shall the wicked,
   how long shall the wicked exult?

They pour out their arrogant words;
   all the evildoers boast.
They crush your people, O Lord,
   and afflict your heritage.
They kill the widow and the stranger,
   they murder the orphan,
and they say, ‘The Lord does not see;
   the God of Jacob does not perceive.’

Understand, O dullest of the people;
   fools, when will you be wise?
He who planted the ear, does he not hear?
He who formed the eye, does he not see?
He who disciplines the nations,
he who teaches knowledge to humankind,
   does he not chastise?
The Lord knows our thoughts,*
   that they are but an empty breath.

Happy are those whom you discipline, O Lord,
   and whom you teach out of your law,
giving them respite from days of trouble,
   until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not forsake his people;
   he will not abandon his heritage;
for justice will return to the righteous,
   and all the upright in heart will follow it.

Who rises up for me against the wicked?
   Who stands up for me against evildoers?
If the Lord had not been my help,
   my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence.
When I thought, ‘My foot is slipping’,
   your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many,
   your consolations cheer my soul.
Can wicked rulers be allied with you,
   those who contrive mischief by statute?
They band together against the life of the righteous,
   and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,
   and my God the rock of my refuge.
He will repay them for their iniquity