Thursday 5 February 2015 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Feb 5 07:16:44 EST 2015

Thursday 5 February 2015

Isaiah 55:1-13

Ho, everyone who thirsts,
    come to the waters;
and you that have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without price.
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labour for that which does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
    listen, so that you may live.
I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.
See, I made him a witness to the peoples,
    a leader and commander for the peoples.
See, you shall call nations that you do not know,
    and nations that do not know you shall run to you,
because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel,
    for he has glorified you.

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
    call upon him while he is near;
let the wicked forsake their way,
    and the unrighteous their thoughts;
let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,
    and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
    and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
    giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

For you shall go out in joy,
    and be led back in peace;
the mountains and the hills before you
    shall burst into song,
    and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress;
    instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle;
and it shall be to the Lord for a memorial,
    for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.
Galatians 5:1-15

For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, therefore, and do not
submit again to a yoke of slavery.
  Listen! I, Paul, am telling you that if you let yourselves be
circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you. Once again I testify
to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obliged to obey
the entire law. You who want to be justified by the law have cut
yourselves off from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. For through
the Spirit, by faith, we eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For
in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for
anything; the only thing that counts is faith working* through love.

  You were running well; who prevented you from obeying the truth? Such
persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. A little yeast
leavens the whole batch of dough. I am confident about you in the Lord
that you will not think otherwise. But whoever it is that is confusing
you will pay the penalty. But my friends,* why am I still being
persecuted if I am still preaching circumcision? In that case the
offence of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle you
would castrate themselves!

  For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters;* only do not use
your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence,* but through love
become slaves to one another. For the whole law is summed up in a single
commandment, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ If, however,
you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by
one another.
Mark 8:27-9:1

Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi;
and on the way he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that I am?’
And they answered him, ‘John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still
others, one of the prophets.’ He asked them, ‘But who do you say that I
am?’ Peter answered him, ‘You are the Messiah.’* And he sternly ordered
them not to tell anyone about him.
  Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great
suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the
scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. He said all
this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But
turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, ‘Get
behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but
on human things.’

  He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want
to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross
and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and
those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel,*
will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and
forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life?
Those who are ashamed of me and of my words* in this adulterous and
sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he
comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.’ And he said to
them, ‘Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste
death until they see that the kingdom of God has come with* power.’
Morning Psalms: Psalm 71

Psalm 71

In you, O Lord, I take refuge;
    let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me;
    incline your ear to me and save me.
Be to me a rock of refuge,
    a strong fortress,* to save me,
    for you are my rock and my fortress.

Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
    from the grasp of the unjust and cruel.
For you, O Lord, are my hope,
    my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
Upon you I have leaned from my birth;
    it was you who took me from my mother’s womb.
My praise is continually of you.

I have been like a portent to many,
    but you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
    and with your glory all day long.
Do not cast me off in the time of old age;
    do not forsake me when my strength is spent.
For my enemies speak concerning me,
    and those who watch for my life consult together.
They say, ‘Pursue and seize that person
    whom God has forsaken,
    for there is no one to deliver.’

O God, do not be far from me;
    O my God, make haste to help me!
Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed;
    let those who seek to hurt me
    be covered with scorn and disgrace.
But I will hope continually,
    and will praise you yet more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteous acts,
    of your deeds of salvation all day long,
    though their number is past my knowledge.
I will come praising the mighty deeds of the Lord God,
    I will praise your righteousness, yours alone.

O God, from my youth you have taught me,
    and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds.
So even to old age and grey hairs,
    O God, do not forsake me,
until I proclaim your might
    to all the generations to come.*
Your power and your righteousness, O God,
    reach the high heavens.

You who have done great things,
    O God, who is like you?
You who have made me see many troubles and calamities
    will revive me again;
from the depths of the earth
    you will bring me up again.
You will increase my honour,
    and comfort me once again.

I will also praise you with the harp
    for your faithfulness, O my God;
I will sing praises to you with the lyre,
    O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will shout for joy
    when I sing praises to you;
    my soul also, which you have rescued.
All day long my tongue will talk of your righteous help,
for those who tried to do me harm
    have been put to shame, and disgraced.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 74

Psalm 74

O God, why do you cast us off for ever?
    Why does your anger smoke against the sheep of your pasture?
Remember your congregation, which you acquired long ago,
    which you redeemed to be the tribe of your heritage.
    Remember Mount Zion, where you came to dwell.
Direct your steps to the perpetual ruins;
    the enemy has destroyed everything in the sanctuary.

Your foes have roared within your holy place;
    they set up their emblems there.
At the upper entrance they hacked
    the wooden trellis with axes.*
And then, with hatchets and hammers,
    they smashed all its carved work.
They set your sanctuary on fire;
    they desecrated the dwelling-place of your name,
    bringing it to the ground.
They said to themselves, ‘We will utterly subdue them’;
    they burned all the meeting-places of God in the land.

We do not see our emblems;
    there is no longer any prophet,
    and there is no one among us who knows how long.
How long, O God, is the foe to scoff?
    Is the enemy to revile your name for ever?
Why do you hold back your hand;
    why do you keep your hand in* your bosom?

Yet God my King is from of old,
    working salvation in the earth.
You divided the sea by your might;
    you broke the heads of the dragons in the waters.
You crushed the heads of Leviathan;
    you gave him as food* for the creatures of the wilderness.
You cut openings for springs and torrents;
    you dried up ever-flowing streams.
Yours is the day, yours also the night;
    you established the luminaries* and the sun.
You have fixed all the bounds of the earth;
    you made summer and winter.

Remember this, O Lord, how the enemy scoffs,
    and an impious people reviles your name.
Do not deliver the soul of your dove to the wild animals;
    do not forget the life of your poor for ever.

Have regard for your* covenant,
    for the dark places of the land are full of the haunts of violence.
Do not let the downtrodden be put to shame;
    let the poor and needy praise your name.
Rise up, O God, plead your cause;
    remember how the impious scoff at you all day long.
Do not forget the clamour of your foes,
    the uproar of your adversaries that goes up continually.