Monday 25 October 2021 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Mon Oct 25 02:00:04 EDT 2021

Monday 25 October 2021

Zechariah 1:7-17

On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, the month of Shebat,
in the second year of Darius, the word of the Lord came to the prophet
Zechariah son of Berechiah son of Iddo; and Zechariah* said, In the
night I saw a man riding on a red horse! He was standing among the
myrtle trees in the glen; and behind him were red, sorrel, and white
horses. Then I said, ‘What are these, my lord?’ The angel who
talked with me said to me, ‘I will show you what they are.’ So the
man who was standing among the myrtle trees answered, ‘They are
those whom the Lord has sent to patrol the earth.’ Then they spoke
to the angel of the Lord who was standing among the myrtle trees,
‘We have patrolled the earth, and lo, the whole earth remains at
peace.’ Then the angel of the Lord said, ‘O Lord of hosts, how
long will you withhold mercy from Jerusalem and the cities of Judah,
with which you have been angry these seventy years?’ Then the Lord
replied with gracious and comforting words to the angel who talked
with me. So the angel who talked with me said to me, Proclaim this
message: Thus says the Lord of hosts; I am very jealous for Jerusalem
and for Zion. And I am extremely angry with the nations that are at
ease; for while I was only a little angry, they made the disaster
worse. Therefore, thus says the Lord, I have returned to Jerusalem
with compassion; my house shall be built in it, says the Lord of
hosts, and the measuring line shall be stretched out over Jerusalem.
Proclaim further: Thus says the Lord of hosts: My cities shall again
overflow with prosperity; the Lord will again comfort Zion and again
choose Jerusalem.
Revelation 1:4-20

John to the seven churches that are in Asia:

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come,
and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus
Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler
of the kings of the earth.

To him who loves us and freed* us from our sins by his blood, and
made* us to be a kingdom, priests serving* his God and Father, to him
be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Look! He is coming with the clouds;
   every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail.
So it is to be. Amen.

 ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega’, says the Lord God, who is and
who was and who is to come, the Almighty.

 I, John, your brother who share with you in Jesus the persecution
and the kingdom and the patient endurance, was on the island called
Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.* I was
in the spirit* on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice
like a trumpet saying, ‘Write in a book what you see and send it to
the seven churches, to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamum, to Thyatira,
to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.’

 Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on
turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the
lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and
with a golden sash across his chest. His head and his hair were white
as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his
feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his
voice was like the sound of many waters. In his right hand he held
seven stars, and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his
face was like the sun shining with full force.

 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his
right hand on me, saying, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the first and the
last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive for ever and
ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you
have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this. As for the
mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the
seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven
churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.
Matthew 12:43-50

‘When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it wanders
through waterless regions looking for a resting-place, but it finds
none. Then it says, “I will return to my house from which I came.”
When it comes, it finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then it
goes and brings along seven other spirits more evil than itself, and
they enter and live there; and the last state of that person is worse
than the first. So will it be also with this evil generation.’
 While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his
brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told
him, ‘Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside,
wanting to speak to you.’* But to the one who had told him this,
Jesus* replied, ‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’ And
pointing to his disciples, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my
brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my
brother and sister and mother.’
Morning Psalms: Psalm 41, 52

Psalm 41

Happy are those who consider the poor;*
   the Lord delivers them in the day of trouble.
The Lord protects them and keeps them alive;
   they are called happy in the land.
   You do not give them up to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed;
   in their illness you heal all their infirmities.*

As for me, I said, ‘O Lord, be gracious to me;
   heal me, for I have sinned against you.’
My enemies wonder in malice
   when I will die, and my name perish.
And when they come to see me, they utter empty words,
   while their hearts gather mischief;
   when they go out, they tell it abroad.
All who hate me whisper together about me;
   they imagine the worst for me.

They think that a deadly thing has fastened on me,
   that I will not rise again from where I lie.
Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted,
   who ate of my bread, has lifted the heel against me.
But you, O Lord, be gracious to me,
   and raise me up, that I may repay them.

By this I know that you are pleased with me;
   because my enemy has not triumphed over me.
But you have upheld me because of my integrity,
   and set me in your presence for ever.

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting to everlasting.Amen and Amen.

Psalm 52

Why do you boast, O mighty one,
   of mischief done against the godly?*
   All day long you are plotting destruction.
Your tongue is like a sharp razor,
   you worker of treachery.
You love evil more than good,
   and lying more than speaking the truth.
          Selah
You love all words that devour,
   O deceitful tongue.

But God will break you down for ever;
   he will snatch and tear you from your tent;
   he will uproot you from the land of the living.
          Selah
The righteous will see, and fear,
   and will laugh at the evildoer,* saying,
‘See the one who would not take
   refuge in God,
but trusted in abundant riches,
   and sought refuge in wealth!’*

But I am like a green olive tree
   in the house of God.
I trust in the steadfast love of God
   for ever and ever.
I will thank you for ever,
   because of what you have done.
In the presence of the faithful
   I will proclaim* your name, for it is good.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 44

Psalm 44

We have heard with our ears, O God,
   our ancestors have told us,
what deeds you performed in their days,
   in the days of old:
you with your own hand drove out the nations,
   but them you planted;
you afflicted the peoples,
   but them you set free;
for not by their own sword did they win the land,
   nor did their own arm give them victory;
but your right hand, and your arm,
   and the light of your countenance,
   for you delighted in them.

You are my King and my God;
   you command* victories for Jacob.
Through you we push down our foes;
   through your name we tread down our assailants.
For not in my bow do I trust,
   nor can my sword save me.
But you have saved us from our foes,
   and have put to confusion those who hate us.
In God we have boasted continually,
   and we will give thanks to your name for ever.
          Selah

Yet you have rejected us and abased us,
   and have not gone out with our armies.
You made us turn back from the foe,
   and our enemies have taken spoil for themselves.
You have made us like sheep for slaughter,
   and have scattered us among the nations.
You have sold your people for a trifle,
   demanding no high price for them.

You have made us the taunt of our neighbours,
   the derision and scorn of those around us.
You have made us a byword among the nations,
   a laughing-stock* among the peoples.
All day long my disgrace is before me,
   and shame has covered my face
at the words of the taunters and revilers,
   at the sight of the enemy and the avenger.

All this has come upon us,
   yet we have not forgotten you,
   or been false to your covenant.
Our heart has not turned back,
   nor have our steps departed from your way,
yet you have broken us in the haunt of jackals,
   and covered us with deep darkness.

If we had forgotten the name of our God,
   or spread out our hands to a strange god,
would not God discover this?
   For he knows the secrets of the heart.
Because of you we are being killed all day long,
   and accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Rouse yourself! Why do you sleep, O Lord?
   Awake, do not cast us off for ever!
Why do you hide your face?
   Why do you forget our affliction and oppression?
For we sink down to the dust;
   our bodies cling to the ground.
Rise up, come to our help.
   Redeem us for the sake of your steadfast love.