Thursday 28 April 2022 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Apr 28 02:00:04 EDT 2022

Thursday 28 April 2022

Notice: At times email providers change their spam filters. To keep
your daily lectionary reading from going to spam please add
dailylectionary at dailylectionary.org and info at dailylectionary.org to
your white list.

For help with setting a white list check www.whitelist.guide or search
the web. Please do not send us questions on how to set up a white
list. We are not computer savvy and therefore are unable to provide
assistance.

Exodus 16:10-22

And as Aaron spoke to the whole congregation of the Israelites, they
looked towards the wilderness, and the glory of the Lord appeared in
the cloud. The Lord spoke to Moses and said, ‘I have heard the
complaining of the Israelites; say to them, “At twilight you shall
eat meat, and in the morning you shall have your fill of bread; then
you shall know that I am the Lord your God.” ’

 In the evening quails came up and covered the camp; and in the
morning there was a layer of dew around the camp. When the layer of
dew lifted, there on the surface of the wilderness was a fine flaky
substance, as fine as frost on the ground. When the Israelites saw it,
they said to one another, ‘What is it?’* For they did not know
what it was. Moses said to them, ‘It is the bread that the Lord has
given you to eat. This is what the Lord has commanded: “Gather as
much of it as each of you needs, an omer to a person according to the
number of persons, all providing for those in their own tents.” ’
The Israelites did so, some gathering more, some less. But when they
measured it with an omer, those who gathered much had nothing over,
and those who gathered little had no shortage; they gathered as much
as each of them needed. And Moses said to them, ‘Let no one leave
any of it over until morning.’ But they did not listen to Moses;
some left part of it until morning, and it bred worms and became foul.
And Moses was angry with them. Morning by morning they gathered it, as
much as each needed; but when the sun grew hot, it melted.

 On the sixth day they gathered twice as much food, two omers apiece.
When all the leaders of the congregation came and told Moses,
1 Peter 2:11-25

Beloved, I urge you as aliens and exiles to abstain from the desires
of the flesh that wage war against the soul. Conduct yourselves
honourably among the Gentiles, so that, though they malign you as
evildoers, they may see your honourable deeds and glorify God when he
comes to judge.*

 For the Lord’s sake accept the authority of every human
institution,* whether of the emperor as supreme, or of governors, as
sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do
right. For it is God’s will that by doing right you should silence
the ignorance of the foolish. As servants* of God, live as free
people, yet do not use your freedom as a pretext for evil. Honour
everyone. Love the family of believers.* Fear God. Honour the emperor.
 Slaves, accept the authority of your masters with all deference, not
only those who are kind and gentle but also those who are harsh. For
it is to your credit if, being aware of God, you endure pain while
suffering unjustly. If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong,
where is the credit in that? But if you endure when you do right and
suffer for it, you have God’s approval. For to this you have been
called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example,
so that you should follow in his steps.
‘He committed no sin,
   and no deceit was found in his mouth.’
When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did
not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly.
He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross,* so that, free from
sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds* you have been
healed. For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have
returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.
John 15:12-27

‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved
you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for
one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do
not call you servants* any longer, because the servant* does not know
what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I
have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.
You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and
bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you
whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so
that you may love one another.
 ‘If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated
you. If you belonged to the world,* the world would love you as its
own. Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out
of the world—therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I
said to you, “Servants* are not greater than their master.” If
they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word,
they will keep yours also. But they will do all these things to you on
account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. If I had
not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they
have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father also.
If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they
would not have sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my
Father. It was to fulfil the word that is written in their law,
“They hated me without a cause.”

 ‘When the Advocate* comes, whom I will send to you from the
Father, the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father, he will testify
on my behalf. You also are to testify because you have been with me
from the beginning.
Morning Psalms: Psalm 18:1-20

Psalm 18:1-20

I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,
   my God, my rock in whom I take refuge,
   my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
   so I shall be saved from my enemies.

The cords of death encompassed me;
   the torrents of perdition assailed me;
the cords of Sheol entangled me;
   the snares of death confronted me.

In my distress I called upon the Lord;
   to my God I cried for help.
>From his temple he heard my voice,
   and my cry to him reached his ears.

Then the earth reeled and rocked;
   the foundations also of the mountains trembled
   and quaked, because he was angry.
Smoke went up from his nostrils,
   and devouring fire from his mouth;
   glowing coals flamed forth from him.
He bowed the heavens, and came down;
   thick darkness was under his feet.
He rode on a cherub, and flew;
   he came swiftly upon the wings of the wind.
He made darkness his covering around him,
   his canopy thick clouds dark with water.
Out of the brightness before him
   there broke through his clouds
   hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord also thundered in the heavens,
   and the Most High uttered his voice.*
And he sent out his arrows, and scattered them;
   he flashed forth lightnings, and routed them.
Then the channels of the sea were seen,
   and the foundations of the world were laid bare
at your rebuke, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.

He reached down from on high, he took me;
   he drew me out of mighty waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemy,
   and from those who hated me;
   for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my calamity;
   but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into a broad place;
   he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness;
   according to the cleanness of my hands he recompensed me.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 18:21-50

Psalm 18:21-50

For I have kept the ways of the Lord,
   and have not wickedly departed from my God.
For all his ordinances were before me,
   and his statutes I did not put away from me.
I was blameless before him,
   and I kept myself from guilt.
Therefore the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness,
   according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight.

With the loyal you show yourself loyal;
   with the blameless you show yourself blameless;
with the pure you show yourself pure;
   and with the crooked you show yourself perverse.
For you deliver a humble people,
   but the haughty eyes you bring down.
It is you who light my lamp;
   the Lord, my God, lights up my darkness.
By you I can crush a troop,
   and by my God I can leap over a wall.
This God—his way is perfect;
   the promise of the Lord proves true;
   he is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

For who is God except the Lord?
   And who is a rock besides our God?—
the God who girded me with strength,
   and made my way safe.
He made my feet like the feet of a deer,
   and set me secure on the heights.
He trains my hands for war,
   so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You have given me the shield of your salvation,
   and your right hand has supported me;
   your help* has made me great.
You gave me a wide place for my steps under me,
   and my feet did not slip.
I pursued my enemies and overtook them;
   and did not turn back until they were consumed.
I struck them down, so that they were not able to rise;
   they fell under my feet.
For you girded me with strength for the battle;
   you made my assailants sink under me.
You made my enemies turn their backs to me,
   and those who hated me I destroyed.
They cried for help, but there was no one to save them;
   they cried to the Lord, but he did not answer them.
I beat them fine, like dust before the wind;
   I cast them out like the mire of the streets.

You delivered me from strife with the peoples;*
   you made me head of the nations;
   people whom I had not known served me.
As soon as they heard of me they obeyed me;
   foreigners came cringing to me.
Foreigners lost heart,
   and came trembling out of their strongholds.

The Lord lives! Blessed be my rock,
   and exalted be the God of my salvation,
the God who gave me vengeance
   and subdued peoples under me;
who delivered me from my enemies;
   indeed, you exalted me above my adversaries;
   you delivered me from the violent.

For this I will extol you, O Lord, among the nations,
   and sing praises to your name.
Great triumphs he gives to his king,
   and shows steadfast love to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants for ever.