Thursday 15 December 2022 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Dec 15 02:00:02 EST 2022

Thursday 15 December 2022

Isaiah 9:18-10:4

For wickedness burned like a fire,
   consuming briers and thorns;
it kindled the thickets of the forest,
   and they swirled upwards in a column of smoke.
Through the wrath of the Lord of hosts
   the land was burned,
and the people became like fuel for the fire;
   no one spared another.
They gorged on the right, but still were hungry,
   and they devoured on the left, but were not satisfied;
they devoured the flesh of their own kindred;*
Manasseh devoured Ephraim, and Ephraim Manasseh,
   and together they were against Judah.
For all this, his anger has not turned away;
   his hand is stretched out still.

Ah, you who make iniquitous decrees,
   who write oppressive statutes,
to turn aside the needy from justice
   and to rob the poor of my people of their right,
that widows may be your spoil,
   and that you may make the orphans your prey!
What will you do on the day of punishment,
   in the calamity that will come from far away?
To whom will you flee for help,
   and where will you leave your wealth,
so as not to crouch among the prisoners
   or fall among the slain?
For all this, his anger has not turned away;
   his hand is stretched out still.
2 Peter 2:10b-16

—especially those who indulge their flesh in depraved lust, and who
despise authority.

Bold and wilful, they are not afraid to slander the glorious ones,*
whereas angels, though greater in might and power, do not bring
against them a slanderous judgement from the Lord.* These people,
however, are like irrational animals, mere creatures of instinct, born
to be caught and killed. They slander what they do not understand, and
when those creatures are destroyed,* they also will be destroyed,
suffering* the penalty for doing wrong. They count it a pleasure to
revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, revelling in their
dissipation* while they feast with you. They have eyes full of
adultery, insatiable for sin. They entice unsteady souls. They have
hearts trained in greed. Accursed children! They have left the
straight road and have gone astray, following the road of Balaam son
of Bosor,* who loved the wages of doing wrong, but was rebuked for his
own transgression; a speechless donkey spoke with a human voice and
restrained the prophet’s madness.
Matthew 3:1-12

In those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea,
proclaiming, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.’*
This is the one of whom the prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,
‘The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
“Prepare the way of the Lord,
   make his paths straight.” ’
Now John wore clothing of camel’s hair with a leather belt around
his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then the people of
Jerusalem and all Judea were going out to him, and all the region
along the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan,
confessing their sins.

 But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he
said to them, ‘You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the
wrath to come? Bear fruit worthy of repentance. Do not presume to say
to yourselves, “We have Abraham as our ancestor”; for I tell you,
God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. Even
now the axe is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore
that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

 ‘I baptize you with* water for repentance, but one who is more
powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his
sandals. He will baptize you with* the Holy Spirit and fire. His
winnowing-fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing-floor
and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn
with unquenchable fire.’
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 50

Psalm 50

The mighty one, God the Lord,
   speaks and summons the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty,
   God shines forth.

Our God comes and does not keep silence,
   before him is a devouring fire,
   and a mighty tempest all around him.
He calls to the heavens above
   and to the earth, that he may judge his people:
‘Gather to me my faithful ones,
   who made a covenant with me by sacrifice!’
The heavens declare his righteousness,
   for God himself is judge.
          Selah

‘Hear, O my people, and I will speak,
   O Israel, I will testify against you.
   I am God, your God.
Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you;
   your burnt-offerings are continually before me.
I will not accept a bull from your house,
   or goats from your folds.
For every wild animal of the forest is mine,
   the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know all the birds of the air,*
   and all that moves in the field is mine.

‘If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
   for the world and all that is in it is mine.
Do I eat the flesh of bulls,
   or drink the blood of goats?
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,*
   and pay your vows to the Most High.
Call on me in the day of trouble;
   I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.’

But to the wicked God says:
   ‘What right have you to recite my statutes,
   or take my covenant on your lips?
For you hate discipline,
   and you cast my words behind you.
You make friends with a thief when you see one,
   and you keep company with adulterers.

‘You give your mouth free rein for evil,
   and your tongue frames deceit.
You sit and speak against your kin;
   you slander your own mother’s child.
These things you have done and I have been silent;
   you thought that I was one just like yourself.
But now I rebuke you, and lay the charge before you.

‘Mark this, then, you who forget God,
   or I will tear you apart, and there will be no one to deliver.
Those who bring thanksgiving as their sacrifice honour me;
   to those who go the right way*
   I will show the salvation of God.’
Evening Psalms: Psalm 59, 60, 33

Psalm 59

Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
   protect me from those who rise up against me.
Deliver me from those who work evil;
   from the bloodthirsty save me.

Even now they lie in wait for my life;
   the mighty stir up strife against me.
For no transgression or sin of mine, O Lord,
   for no fault of mine, they run and make ready.

Rouse yourself, come to my help and see!
   You, Lord God of hosts, are God of Israel.
Awake to punish all the nations;
   spare none of those who treacherously plot evil.
          Selah

Each evening they come back,
   howling like dogs
   and prowling about the city.
There they are, bellowing with their mouths,
   with sharp words* on their lips—
   for ‘Who’, they think,* ‘will hear us?’

But you laugh at them, O Lord;
   you hold all the nations in derision.
O my strength, I will watch for you;
   for you, O God, are my fortress.
My God in his steadfast love will meet me;
   my God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.

Do not kill them, or my people may forget;
   make them totter by your power, and bring them down,
   O Lord, our shield.
For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips,
   let them be trapped in their pride.
For the cursing and lies that they utter,
   consume them in wrath;
   consume them until they are no more.
Then it will be known to the ends of the earth
   that God rules over Jacob.
          Selah

Each evening they come back,
   howling like dogs
   and prowling about the city.
They roam about for food,
   and growl if they do not get their fill.

But I will sing of your might;
   I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been a fortress for me
   and a refuge on the day of my distress.
O my strength, I will sing praises to you,
   for you, O God, are my fortress,
   the God who shows me steadfast love.

Psalm 60

O God, you have rejected us, broken our defences;
   you have been angry; now restore us!
You have caused the land to quake; you have torn it open;
   repair the cracks in it, for it is tottering.
You have made your people suffer hard things;
   you have given us wine to drink that made us reel.

You have set up a banner for those who fear you,
   to rally to it out of bowshot.*
          Selah
Give victory with your right hand, and answer us,*
   so that those whom you love may be rescued.

God has promised in his sanctuary:*
   ‘With exultation I will divide up Shechem,
   and portion out the Vale of Succoth.
Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine;
   Ephraim is my helmet;
   Judah is my sceptre.
Moab is my wash-basin;
   on Edom I hurl my shoe;
   over Philistia I shout in triumph.’

Who will bring me to the fortified city?
   Who will lead me to Edom?
Have you not rejected us, O God?
   You do not go out, O God, with our armies.
O grant us help against the foe,
   for human help is worthless.
With God we shall do valiantly;
   it is he who will tread down our foes.

Psalm 33

Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous.
   Praise befits the upright.
Praise the Lord with the lyre;
   make melody to him with the harp of ten strings.
Sing to him a new song;
   play skilfully on the strings, with loud shouts.

For the word of the Lord is upright,
   and all his work is done in faithfulness.
He loves righteousness and justice;
   the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.

By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
   and all their host by the breath of his mouth.
He gathered the waters of the sea as in a bottle;
   he put the deeps in storehouses.

Let all the earth fear the Lord;
   let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke, and it came to be;
   he commanded, and it stood firm.

The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing;
   he frustrates the plans of the peoples.
The counsel of the Lord stands for ever,
   the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord,
   the people whom he has chosen as his heritage.

The Lord looks down from heaven;
   he sees all humankind.
>From where he sits enthroned he watches
   all the inhabitants of the earth—
he who fashions the hearts of them all,
   and observes all their deeds.
A king is not saved by his great army;
   a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
The war horse is a vain hope for victory,
   and by its great might it cannot save.

Truly the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him,
   on those who hope in his steadfast love,
to deliver their soul from death,
   and to keep them alive in famine.

Our soul waits for the Lord;
   he is our help and shield.
Our heart is glad in him,
   because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
   even as we hope in you.