Wednesday 8 June 2022 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Wed Jun 8 02:00:04 EDT 2022

Wednesday 8 June 2022

Notice: At times email providers change their spam filters. To keep
your daily lectionary reading from going to spam please add
dailylectionary at dailylectionary.org and info at dailylectionary.org to
your white list.

For help with setting a white list check www.whitelist.guide or search
the web. Please do not send us questions on how to set up a white
list. We are not computer savvy and therefore are unable to provide
assistance.
Ecclesiastes 9:11-18

Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the
battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the
intelligent, nor favour to the skilful; but time and chance happen to
them all. For no one can anticipate the time of disaster. Like fish
taken in a cruel net, and like birds caught in a snare, so mortals are
snared at a time of calamity, when it suddenly falls upon them.
 I have also seen this example of wisdom under the sun, and it seemed
important to me. There was a little city with few people in it. A
great king came against it and besieged it, building great siege-works
against it. Now there was found in it a poor, wise man, and he by his
wisdom delivered the city. Yet no one remembered that poor man. So I
said, ‘Wisdom is better than might; yet the poor man’s wisdom is
despised, and his words are not heeded.’
The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded
   than the shouting of a ruler among fools.
Wisdom is better than weapons of war,
   but one bungler destroys much good.
Galatians 5:1-15

For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, therefore, and do not
submit again to a yoke of slavery.
 Listen! I, Paul, am telling you that if you let yourselves be
circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you. Once again I testify
to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obliged to
obey the entire law. You who want to be justified by the law have cut
yourselves off from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. For
through the Spirit, by faith, we eagerly wait for the hope of
righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor
uncircumcision counts for anything; the only thing that counts is
faith working* through love.

 You were running well; who prevented you from obeying the truth?
Such persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. A little
yeast leavens the whole batch of dough. I am confident about you in
the Lord that you will not think otherwise. But whoever it is that is
confusing you will pay the penalty. But my friends,* why am I still
being persecuted if I am still preaching circumcision? In that case
the offence of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle
you would castrate themselves!

 For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters;* only do not
use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence,* but through
love become slaves to one another. For the whole law is summed up in a
single commandment, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’
If, however, you bite and devour one another, take care that you are
not consumed by one another.
Matthew 16:1-12

The Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test Jesus* they asked him to
show them a sign from heaven. He answered them, ‘When it is evening,
you say, “It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.” And in the
morning, “It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and
threatening.” You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky,
but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.* An evil and
adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it
except the sign of Jonah.’ Then he left them and went away.
 When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to
bring any bread. Jesus said to them, ‘Watch out, and beware of the
yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.’ They said to one another,
‘It is because we have brought no bread.’ And becoming aware of
it, Jesus said, ‘You of little faith, why are you talking about
having no bread? Do you still not perceive? Do you not remember the
five loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?
Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you
gathered? How could you fail to perceive that I was not speaking about
bread? Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees!’ Then
they understood that he had not told them to beware of the yeast of
bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 72

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,
   and your righteousness to a king’s son.
May he judge your people with righteousness,
   and your poor with justice.
May the mountains yield prosperity for the people,
   and the hills, in righteousness.
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
   give deliverance to the needy,
   and crush the oppressor.

May he live* while the sun endures,
   and as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
May he be like rain that falls on the mown grass,
   like showers that water the earth.
In his days may righteousness flourish
   and peace abound, until the moon is no more.

May he have dominion from sea to sea,
   and from the River to the ends of the earth.
May his foes* bow down before him,
   and his enemies lick the dust.
May the kings of Tarshish and of the isles
   render him tribute,
may the kings of Sheba and Seba
   bring gifts.
May all kings fall down before him,
   all nations give him service.

For he delivers the needy when they call,
   the poor and those who have no helper.
He has pity on the weak and the needy,
   and saves the lives of the needy.
>From oppression and violence he redeems their life;
   and precious is their blood in his sight.

Long may he live!
   May gold of Sheba be given to him.
May prayer be made for him continually,
   and blessings invoked for him all day long.
May there be abundance of grain in the land;
   may it wave on the tops of the mountains;
   may its fruit be like Lebanon;
and may people blossom in the cities
   like the grass of the field.
May his name endure for ever,
   his fame continue as long as the sun.
May all nations be blessed in him;*
   may they pronounce him happy.

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   who alone does wondrous things.
Blessed be his glorious name for ever;
   may his glory fill the whole earth.Amen and Amen.

The prayers of David son of Jesse are ended.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 119:73-96

Psalm 119:73-96

Your hands have made and fashioned me;
   give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,
   because I have hoped in your word.
I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right,
   and that in faithfulness you have humbled me.
Let your steadfast love become my comfort
   according to your promise to your servant.
Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;
   for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   because they have subverted me with guile;
   as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
Let those who fear you turn to me,
   so that they may know your decrees.
May my heart be blameless in your statutes,
   so that I may not be put to shame.

My soul languishes for your salvation;
   I hope in your word.
My eyes fail with watching for your promise;
   I ask, ‘When will you comfort me?’
For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke,
   yet I have not forgotten your statutes.
How long must your servant endure?
   When will you judge those who persecute me?
The arrogant have dug pitfalls for me;
   they flout your law.
All your commandments are enduring;
   I am persecuted without cause; help me!
They have almost made an end of me on earth;
   but I have not forsaken your precepts.
In your steadfast love spare my life,
   so that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

The Lord exists for ever;
   your word is firmly fixed in heaven.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
   you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
By your appointment they stand today,
   for all things are your servants.
If your law had not been my delight,
   I would have perished in my misery.
I will never forget your precepts,
   for by them you have given me life.
I am yours; save me,
   for I have sought your precepts.
The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
   but I consider your decrees.
I have seen a limit to all perfection,
   but your commandment is exceedingly broad.