Wednesday 4 May 2022 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Wed May 4 02:00:03 EDT 2022

Wednesday 4 May 2022

Notice: At times email providers change their spam filters. To keep
your daily lectionary reading from going to spam please add
dailylectionary at dailylectionary.org and info at dailylectionary.org to
your white list.

For help with setting a white list check www.whitelist.guide or search
the web. Please do not send us questions on how to set up a white
list. We are not computer savvy and therefore are unable to provide
assistance.

Exodus 19:16-25

On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, as
well as a thick cloud on the mountain, and a blast of a trumpet so
loud that all the people who were in the camp trembled. Moses brought
the people out of the camp to meet God. They took their stand at the
foot of the mountain. Now Mount Sinai was wrapped in smoke, because
the Lord had descended upon it in fire; the smoke went up like the
smoke of a kiln, while the whole mountain shook violently. As the
blast of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses would speak and God
would answer him in thunder. When the Lord descended upon Mount Sinai,
to the top of the mountain, the Lord summoned Moses to the top of the
mountain, and Moses went up. Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Go down
and warn the people not to break through to the Lord to look;
otherwise many of them will perish. Even the priests who approach the
Lord must consecrate themselves or the Lord will break out against
them.’ Moses said to the Lord, ‘The people are not permitted to
come up to Mount Sinai; for you yourself warned us, saying, “Set
limits around the mountain and keep it holy.” ’ The Lord said to
him, ‘Go down, and come up bringing Aaron with you; but do not let
either the priests or the people break through to come up to the Lord;
otherwise he will break out against them.’ So Moses went down to the
people and told them.
Colossians 1:15-23

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in* him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things
visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or
powers—all things have been created through him and for him. He
himself is before all things, and in* him all things hold together. He
is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the
firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in
everything. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,
and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things,
whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of
his cross.

 And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil
deeds, he has now reconciled* in his fleshly body* through death, so
as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him—
provided that you continue securely established and steadfast in the
faith, without shifting from the hope promised by the gospel that you
heard, which has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven. I,
Paul, became a servant of this gospel.
Matthew 3:13-17

Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by
him. John would have prevented him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized
by you, and do you come to me?’ But Jesus answered him, ‘Let it be
so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfil all
righteousness.’ Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized,
just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to
him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting
on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved,*
with whom I am well pleased.’
Morning Psalms: Psalm 38

Psalm 38

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
   or discipline me in your wrath.
For your arrows have sunk into me,
   and your hand has come down on me.

There is no soundness in my flesh
   because of your indignation;
there is no health in my bones
   because of my sin.
For my iniquities have gone over my head;
   they weigh like a burden too heavy for me.

My wounds grow foul and fester
   because of my foolishness;
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;
   all day long I go around mourning.
For my loins are filled with burning,
   and there is no soundness in my flesh.
I am utterly spent and crushed;
   I groan because of the tumult of my heart.

O Lord, all my longing is known to you;
   my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart throbs, my strength fails me;
   as for the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.
My friends and companions stand aloof from my affliction,
   and my neighbours stand far off.

Those who seek my life lay their snares;
   those who seek to hurt me speak of ruin,
   and meditate treachery all day long.

But I am like the deaf, I do not hear;
   like the mute, who cannot speak.
Truly, I am like one who does not hear,
   and in whose mouth is no retort.

But it is for you, O Lord, that I wait;
   it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.
For I pray, ‘Only do not let them rejoice over me,
   those who boast against me when my foot slips.’

For I am ready to fall,
   and my pain is ever with me.
I confess my iniquity;
   I am sorry for my sin.
Those who are my foes without cause* are mighty,
   and many are those who hate me wrongfully.
Those who render me evil for good
   are my adversaries because I follow after good.

Do not forsake me, O Lord;
   O my God, do not be far from me;
make haste to help me,
   O Lord, my salvation.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 119:25-48

Psalm 119:25-48

My soul clings to the dust;
   revive me according to your word.
When I told of my ways, you answered me;
   teach me your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
   and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;
   strengthen me according to your word.
Put false ways far from me;
   and graciously teach me your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
   I set your ordinances before me.
I cling to your decrees, O Lord;
   let me not be put to shame.
I run the way of your commandments,
   for you enlarge my understanding.

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,
   and I will observe it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
   and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
   for I delight in it.
Turn my heart to your decrees,
   and not to selfish gain.
Turn my eyes from looking at vanities;
   give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
   which is for those who fear you.
Turn away the disgrace that I dread,
   for your ordinances are good.
See, I have longed for your precepts;
   in your righteousness give me life.

Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,
   your salvation according to your promise.
Then I shall have an answer for those who taunt me,
   for I trust in your word.
Do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
   for my hope is in your ordinances.
I will keep your law continually,
   for ever and ever.
I shall walk at liberty,
   for I have sought your precepts.
I will also speak of your decrees before kings,
   and shall not be put to shame;
I find my delight in your commandments,
   because I love them.
I revere your commandments, which I love,
   and I will meditate on your statutes.