Monday 9 May 2022 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Mon May 9 02:00:03 EDT 2022

Monday 9 May 2022

Notice: At times email providers change their spam filters. To keep
your daily lectionary reading from going to spam please add
dailylectionary at dailylectionary.org and info at dailylectionary.org to
your white list.

For help with setting a white list check www.whitelist.guide or search
the web. Please do not send us questions on how to set up a white
list. We are not computer savvy and therefore are unable to provide
assistance.

Exodus 32:1-20

When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain,
the people gathered around Aaron and said to him, ‘Come, make gods
for us, who shall go before us; as for this Moses, the man who brought
us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of
him.’ Aaron said to them, ‘Take off the gold rings that are on the
ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to
me.’ So all the people took off the gold rings from their ears, and
brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from them, formed it in a
mould,* and cast an image of a calf; and they said, ‘These are your
gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!’ When
Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made
proclamation and said, ‘Tomorrow shall be a festival to the Lord.’
They rose early the next day, and offered burnt-offerings and brought
sacrifices of well-being; and the people sat down to eat and drink,
and rose up to revel.

 The Lord said to Moses, ‘Go down at once! Your people, whom you
brought up out of the land of Egypt, have acted perversely; they have
been quick to turn aside from the way that I commanded them; they have
cast for themselves an image of a calf, and have worshipped it and
sacrificed to it, and said, “These are your gods, O Israel, who
brought you up out of the land of Egypt!” ’ The Lord said to
Moses, ‘I have seen this people, how stiff-necked they are. Now let
me alone, so that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume
them; and of you I will make a great nation.’

 But Moses implored the Lord his God, and said, ‘O Lord, why does
your wrath burn hot against your people, whom you brought out of the
land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? Why should the
Egyptians say, “It was with evil intent that he brought them out to
kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the
earth”? Turn from your fierce wrath; change your mind and do not
bring disaster on your people. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel,
your servants, how you swore to them by your own self, saying to them,
“I will multiply your descendants like the stars of heaven, and all
this land that I have promised I will give to your descendants, and
they shall inherit it for ever.” ’ And the Lord changed his mind
about the disaster that he planned to bring on his people.

 Then Moses turned and went down from the mountain, carrying the two
tablets of the covenant* in his hands, tablets that were written on
both sides, written on the front and on the back. The tablets were the
work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, engraved upon the
tablets. When Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he
said to Moses, ‘There is a noise of war in the camp.’ But he said,
‘It is not the sound made by victors,
or the sound made by losers;
it is the sound of revellers that I hear.’
As soon as he came near the camp and saw the calf and the dancing,
Moses’ anger burned hot, and he threw the tablets from his hands and
broke them at the foot of the mountain. He took the calf that they had
made, burned it with fire, ground it to powder, scattered it on the
water, and made the Israelites drink it.
Colossians 3:18-4:18

Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
Husbands, love your wives and never treat them harshly.

 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this is your
acceptable duty in the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, or
they may lose heart. Slaves, obey your earthly masters* in everything,
not only while being watched and in order to please them, but
wholeheartedly, fearing the Lord.* Whatever your task, put yourselves
into it, as done for the Lord and not for your masters,* since you
know that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your
reward; you serve* the Lord Christ. For the wrongdoer will be paid
back for whatever wrong has been done, and there is no partiality.
Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, for you know that you
also have a Master in heaven.

 Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving.
At the same time pray for us as well that God will open to us a door
for the word, that we may declare the mystery of Christ, for which I
am in prison, so that I may reveal it clearly, as I should.

 Conduct yourselves wisely towards outsiders, making the most of the
time.* Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that
you may know how you ought to answer everyone.

 Tychicus will tell you all the news about me; he is a beloved
brother, a faithful minister, and a fellow-servant* in the Lord. I
have sent him to you for this very purpose, so that you may know how
we are* and that he may encourage your hearts; he is coming with
Onesimus, the faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They
will tell you about everything here.

 Aristarchus my fellow-prisoner greets you, as does Mark the cousin
of Barnabas, concerning whom you have received instructions—if he
comes to you, welcome him. And Jesus who is called Justus greets you.
These are the only ones of the circumcision among my co-workers for
the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me. Epaphras, who
is one of you, a servant* of Christ Jesus, greets you. He is always
wrestling in his prayers on your behalf, so that you may stand mature
and fully assured in everything that God wills. For I testify for him
that he has worked hard for you and for those in Laodicea and in
Hierapolis. Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas greet you. Give my
greetings to the brothers and sisters* in Laodicea, and to Nympha and
the church in her house. And when this letter has been read among you,
have it read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you
read also the letter from Laodicea. And say to Archippus, ‘See that
you complete the task that you have received in the Lord.’

 I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. Remember my chains.
Grace be with you.
Matthew 5:1-10

When Jesus* saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat
down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught
them, saying:

 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of
heaven.

 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for
they will be filled.

 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of
God.

 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Morning Psalms: Psalm 41, 52

Psalm 41

Happy are those who consider the poor;*
   the Lord delivers them in the day of trouble.
The Lord protects them and keeps them alive;
   they are called happy in the land.
   You do not give them up to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed;
   in their illness you heal all their infirmities.*

As for me, I said, ‘O Lord, be gracious to me;
   heal me, for I have sinned against you.’
My enemies wonder in malice
   when I will die, and my name perish.
And when they come to see me, they utter empty words,
   while their hearts gather mischief;
   when they go out, they tell it abroad.
All who hate me whisper together about me;
   they imagine the worst for me.

They think that a deadly thing has fastened on me,
   that I will not rise again from where I lie.
Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted,
   who ate of my bread, has lifted the heel against me.
But you, O Lord, be gracious to me,
   and raise me up, that I may repay them.

By this I know that you are pleased with me;
   because my enemy has not triumphed over me.
But you have upheld me because of my integrity,
   and set me in your presence for ever.

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting to everlasting.Amen and Amen.

Psalm 52

Why do you boast, O mighty one,
   of mischief done against the godly?*
   All day long you are plotting destruction.
Your tongue is like a sharp razor,
   you worker of treachery.
You love evil more than good,
   and lying more than speaking the truth.
          Selah
You love all words that devour,
   O deceitful tongue.

But God will break you down for ever;
   he will snatch and tear you from your tent;
   he will uproot you from the land of the living.
          Selah
The righteous will see, and fear,
   and will laugh at the evildoer,* saying,
‘See the one who would not take
   refuge in God,
but trusted in abundant riches,
   and sought refuge in wealth!’*

But I am like a green olive tree
   in the house of God.
I trust in the steadfast love of God
   for ever and ever.
I will thank you for ever,
   because of what you have done.
In the presence of the faithful
   I will proclaim* your name, for it is good.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 44

Psalm 44

We have heard with our ears, O God,
   our ancestors have told us,
what deeds you performed in their days,
   in the days of old:
you with your own hand drove out the nations,
   but them you planted;
you afflicted the peoples,
   but them you set free;
for not by their own sword did they win the land,
   nor did their own arm give them victory;
but your right hand, and your arm,
   and the light of your countenance,
   for you delighted in them.

You are my King and my God;
   you command* victories for Jacob.
Through you we push down our foes;
   through your name we tread down our assailants.
For not in my bow do I trust,
   nor can my sword save me.
But you have saved us from our foes,
   and have put to confusion those who hate us.
In God we have boasted continually,
   and we will give thanks to your name for ever.
          Selah

Yet you have rejected us and abased us,
   and have not gone out with our armies.
You made us turn back from the foe,
   and our enemies have taken spoil for themselves.
You have made us like sheep for slaughter,
   and have scattered us among the nations.
You have sold your people for a trifle,
   demanding no high price for them.

You have made us the taunt of our neighbours,
   the derision and scorn of those around us.
You have made us a byword among the nations,
   a laughing-stock* among the peoples.
All day long my disgrace is before me,
   and shame has covered my face
at the words of the taunters and revilers,
   at the sight of the enemy and the avenger.

All this has come upon us,
   yet we have not forgotten you,
   or been false to your covenant.
Our heart has not turned back,
   nor have our steps departed from your way,
yet you have broken us in the haunt of jackals,
   and covered us with deep darkness.

If we had forgotten the name of our God,
   or spread out our hands to a strange god,
would not God discover this?
   For he knows the secrets of the heart.
Because of you we are being killed all day long,
   and accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Rouse yourself! Why do you sleep, O Lord?
   Awake, do not cast us off for ever!
Why do you hide your face?
   Why do you forget our affliction and oppression?
For we sink down to the dust;
   our bodies cling to the ground.
Rise up, come to our help.
   Redeem us for the sake of your steadfast love.