Friday 11 November 2022 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Fri Nov 11 02:00:03 EST 2022

Friday 11 November 2022

Joel 2:28-3:8

Then afterwards
   I will pour out my spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
   your old men shall dream dreams,
   and your young men shall see visions.
Even on the male and female slaves,
   in those days, I will pour out my spirit.

 I will show portents in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire
and columns of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the
moon to blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes.
Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved; for in
Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the
Lord has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord
calls.

*For then, in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes
of Judah and Jerusalem, I will gather all the nations and bring them
down to the valley of Jehoshaphat, and I will enter into judgement
with them there, on account of my people and my heritage Israel,
because they have scattered them among the nations. They have divided
my land, and cast lots for my people, and traded boys for prostitutes,
and sold girls for wine, and drunk it down.

 What are you to me, O Tyre and Sidon, and all the regions of
Philistia? Are you paying me back for something? If you are paying me
back, I will turn your deeds back upon your own heads swiftly and
speedily. For you have taken my silver and my gold, and have carried
my rich treasures into your temples.* You have sold the people of
Judah and Jerusalem to the Greeks, removing them far from their own
border. But now I will rouse them to leave the places to which you
have sold them, and I will turn your deeds back upon your own heads. I
will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the people of
Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, to a nation far away;
for the Lord has spoken.
James 1:16-27

Do not be deceived, my beloved.*

 Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from
above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no
variation or shadow due to change.* In fulfilment of his own purpose
he gave us birth by the word of truth, so that we would become a kind
of first fruits of his creatures.
 You must understand this, my beloved:* let everyone be quick to
listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce
God’s righteousness. Therefore rid yourselves of all sordidness and
rank growth of wickedness, and welcome with meekness the implanted
word that has the power to save your souls.

 But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive
themselves. For if any are hearers of the word and not doers, they are
like those who look at themselves* in a mirror; for they look at
themselves and, on going away, immediately forget what they were like.
But those who look into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and
persevere, being not hearers who forget but doers who act—they will
be blessed in their doing.

 If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but
deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless. Religion that is
pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for
orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by
the world.
Luke 16:1-9

Then Jesus* said to the disciples, ‘There was a rich man who had a
manager, and charges were brought to him that this man was squandering
his property. So he summoned him and said to him, “What is this that
I hear about you? Give me an account of your management, because you
cannot be my manager any longer.” Then the manager said to himself,
“What will I do, now that my master is taking the position away from
me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. I have
decided what to do so that, when I am dismissed as manager, people may
welcome me into their homes.” So, summoning his master’s debtors
one by one, he asked the first, “How much do you owe my master?”
He answered, “A hundred jugs of olive oil.” He said to him,
“Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it fifty.” Then he
asked another, “And how much do you owe?” He replied, “A hundred
containers of wheat.” He said to him, “Take your bill and make it
eighty.” And his master commended the dishonest manager because he
had acted shrewdly; for the children of this age are more shrewd in
dealing with their own generation than are the children of light. And
I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth*
so that when it is gone, they may welcome you into the eternal homes.*
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 88

Psalm 88

O Lord, God of my salvation,
   when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
   incline your ear to my cry.

For my soul is full of troubles,
   and my life draws near to Sheol.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
   I am like those who have no help,
like those forsaken among the dead,
   like the slain that lie in the grave,
like those whom you remember no more,
   for they are cut off from your hand.
You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
   in the regions dark and deep.
Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
   and you overwhelm me with all your waves.
          Selah

You have caused my companions to shun me;
   you have made me a thing of horror to them.
I am shut in so that I cannot escape;
   my eye grows dim through sorrow.
Every day I call on you, O Lord;
   I spread out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?
   Do the shades rise up to praise you?
          Selah
Is your steadfast love declared in the grave,
   or your faithfulness in Abaddon?
Are your wonders known in the darkness,
   or your saving help in the land of forgetfulness?

But I, O Lord, cry out to you;
   in the morning my prayer comes before you.
O Lord, why do you cast me off?
   Why do you hide your face from me?
Wretched and close to death from my youth up,
   I suffer your terrors; I am desperate.*
Your wrath has swept over me;
   your dread assaults destroy me.
They surround me like a flood all day long;
   from all sides they close in on me.
You have caused friend and neighbour to shun me;
   my companions are in darkness.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 91, 92

Psalm 91

You who live in the shelter of the Most High,
   who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,*
will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress;
   my God, in whom I trust.’
For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
   and from the deadly pestilence;
he will cover you with his pinions,
   and under his wings you will find refuge;
   his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
   or the arrow that flies by day,
or the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
   or the destruction that wastes at noonday.

A thousand may fall at your side,
   ten thousand at your right hand,
   but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
   and see the punishment of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord your refuge,*
   the Most High your dwelling-place,
no evil shall befall you,
   no scourge come near your tent.

For he will command his angels concerning you
   to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
   so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder,
   the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot.

Those who love me, I will deliver;
   I will protect those who know my name.
When they call to me, I will answer them;
   I will be with them in trouble,
   I will rescue them and honour them.
With long life I will satisfy them,
   and show them my salvation.

Psalm 92

It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
   to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
   and your faithfulness by night,
to the music of the lute and the harp,
   to the melody of the lyre.
For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;
   at the works of your hands I sing for joy.

How great are your works, O Lord!
   Your thoughts are very deep!
The dullard cannot know,
   the stupid cannot understand this:
though the wicked sprout like grass
   and all evildoers flourish,
they are doomed to destruction for ever,
   but you, O Lord, are on high for ever.
For your enemies, O Lord,
   for your enemies shall perish;
   all evildoers shall be scattered.

But you have exalted my horn like that of the wild ox;
   you have poured over me* fresh oil.
My eyes have seen the downfall of my enemies;
   my ears have heard the doom of my evil assailants.

The righteous flourish like the palm tree,
   and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
They are planted in the house of the Lord;
   they flourish in the courts of our God.
In old age they still produce fruit;
   they are always green and full of sap,
showing that the Lord is upright;
   he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.