Tuesday 10 January 2023 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Tue Jan 10 02:00:02 EST 2023

Tuesday 10 January 2023

Isaiah 40:25-31

To whom then will you compare me,
   or who is my equal? says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes on high and see:
   Who created these?
He who brings out their host and numbers them,
   calling them all by name;
because he is great in strength,
   mighty in power,
   not one is missing.

Why do you say, O Jacob,
   and speak, O Israel,
‘My way is hidden from the Lord,
   and my right is disregarded by my God’?
Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
   his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
   and strengthens the powerless.
Even youths will faint and be weary,
   and the young will fall exhausted;
but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
   they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
   they shall walk and not faint.
Ephesians 1:15-23

I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love* towards
all the saints, and for this reason I do not cease to give thanks for
you as I remember you in my prayers. I pray that the God of our Lord
Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and
revelation as you come to know him, so that, with the eyes of your
heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has
called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the
saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who
believe, according to the working of his great power. God* put this
power to work in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated
him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and
authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named,
not only in this age but also in the age to come. And he has put all
things under his feet and has made him the head over all things for
the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in
all.
Mark 1:14-28

Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the
good news* of God,* and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the
kingdom of God has come near;* repent, and believe in the good
news.’*

 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his
brother Andrew casting a net into the lake—for they were fishermen.
And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you fish for
people.’ And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As
he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother
John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called
them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired
men, and followed him.
 They went to Capernaum; and when the sabbath came, he entered the
synagogue and taught. They were astounded at his teaching, for he
taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. Just then
there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit, and he
cried out, ‘What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you
come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.’ But
Jesus rebuked him, saying, ‘Be silent, and come out of him!’ And
the unclean spirit, throwing him into convulsions and crying with a
loud voice, came out of him. They were all amazed, and they kept on
asking one another, ‘What is this? A new teaching—with authority!
He* commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.’ At once
his fame began to spread throughout the surrounding region of Galilee.
Morning Psalms: Psalm 5, 6

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;
   give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry,
   my King and my God,
   for to you I pray.
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
   in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
   evil will not sojourn with you.
The boastful will not stand before your eyes;
   you hate all evildoers.
You destroy those who speak lies;
   the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.

But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
   will enter your house,
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
   because of my enemies;
   make your way straight before me.

For there is no truth in their mouths;
   their hearts are destruction;
their throats are open graves;
   they flatter with their tongues.
Make them bear their guilt, O God;
   let them fall by their own counsels;
because of their many transgressions cast them out,
   for they have rebelled against you.

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
   let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
   so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
   you cover them with favour as with a shield.

Psalm 6

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
   or discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
   O Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
My soul also is struck with terror,
   while you, O Lord—how long?

Turn, O Lord, save my life;
   deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love.
For in death there is no remembrance of you;
   in Sheol who can give you praise?

I am weary with my moaning;
   every night I flood my bed with tears;
   I drench my couch with my weeping.
My eyes waste away because of grief;
   they grow weak because of all my foes.

Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
   for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;
   the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror;
   they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.

Why, O Lord, do you stand far off?
   Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?
In arrogance the wicked persecute the poor—
   let them be caught in the schemes they have devised.

For the wicked boast of the desires of their heart,
   those greedy for gain curse and renounce the Lord.
In the pride of their countenance the wicked say, ‘God will not seek
it out’;
   all their thoughts are, ‘There is no God.’

Their ways prosper at all times;
   your judgements are on high, out of their sight;
   as for their foes, they scoff at them.
They think in their heart, ‘We shall not be moved;
   throughout all generations we shall not meet adversity.’

Their mouths are filled with cursing and deceit and oppression;
   under their tongues are mischief and iniquity.
They sit in ambush in the villages;
   in hiding-places they murder the innocent.

Their eyes stealthily watch for the helpless;
   they lurk in secret like a lion in its covert;
they lurk that they may seize the poor;
   they seize the poor and drag them off in their net.

They stoop, they crouch,
   and the helpless fall by their might.
They think in their heart, ‘God has forgotten,
   he has hidden his face, he will never see it.’

Rise up, O Lord; O God, lift up your hand;
   do not forget the oppressed.
Why do the wicked renounce God,
   and say in their hearts, ‘You will not call us to account’?

But you do see! Indeed you note trouble and grief,
   that you may take it into your hands;
the helpless commit themselves to you;
   you have been the helper of the orphan.

Break the arm of the wicked and evildoers;
   seek out their wickedness until you find none.
The Lord is king for ever and ever;
   the nations shall perish from his land.

O Lord, you will hear the desire of the meek;
   you will strengthen their heart, you will incline your ear
to do justice for the orphan and the oppressed,
   so that those from earth may strike terror no more.

Psalm 11

In the Lord I take refuge; how can you say to me,
   ‘Flee like a bird to the mountains;*
for look, the wicked bend the bow,
   they have fitted their arrow to the string,
   to shoot in the dark at the upright in heart.
If the foundations are destroyed,
   what can the righteous do?’

The Lord is in his holy temple;
   the Lord’s throne is in heaven.
   His eyes behold, his gaze examines humankind.
The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked,
   and his soul hates the lover of violence.
On the wicked he will rain coals of fire and sulphur;
   a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup.
For the Lord is righteous;
he loves righteous deeds;
   the upright shall behold his face.