Thursday 16 March 2023 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Mar 16 02:00:03 EDT 2023

Thursday 16 March 2023

Jeremiah 10:11-24

Thus shall you say to them: The gods who did not make the heavens and
the earth shall perish from the earth and from under the heavens.*

It is he who made the earth by his power,
   who established the world by his wisdom,
   and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.
When he utters his voice, there is a tumult of waters in the heavens,
   and he makes the mist rise from the ends of the earth.
He makes lightnings for the rain,
   and he brings out the wind from his storehouses.
Everyone is stupid and without knowledge;
   goldsmiths are all put to shame by their idols;
for their images are false,
   and there is no breath in them.
They are worthless, a work of delusion;
   at the time of their punishment they shall perish.
Not like these is the Lord,* the portion of Jacob,
   for he is the one who formed all things,
and Israel is the tribe of his inheritance;
   the Lord of hosts is his name.

Gather up your bundle from the ground,
   O you who live under siege!
For thus says the Lord:
I am going to fling away the inhabitants of the land
   at this time,
and I will bring distress on them,
   so that they shall feel it.

Woe is me because of my hurt!
   My wound is severe.
But I said, ‘Truly this is my punishment,
   and I must bear it.’
My tent is destroyed,
   and all my cords are broken;
my children have gone from me,
   and they are no more;
there is no one to spread my tent again,
   and to set up my curtains.
For the shepherds are stupid,
   and do not inquire of the Lord;
therefore they have not prospered,
   and all their flock is scattered.

Hear, a noise! Listen, it is coming—
   a great commotion from the land of the north
to make the cities of Judah a desolation,
   a lair of jackals.

I know, O Lord, that the way of human beings is not in their control,
   that mortals as they walk cannot direct their steps.
Correct me, O Lord, but in just measure;
   not in your anger, or you will bring me to nothing.
Romans 5:12-21

Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death
came through sin, and so death spread to all because all have
sinned— sin was indeed in the world before the law, but sin is not
reckoned when there is no law. Yet death exercised dominion from Adam
to Moses, even over those whose sins were not like the transgression
of Adam, who is a type of the one who was to come.

 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died
through the one man’s trespass, much more surely have the grace of
God and the free gift in the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ,
abounded for the many. And the free gift is not like the effect of the
one man’s sin. For the judgement following one trespass brought
condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brings
justification. If, because of the one man’s trespass, death
exercised dominion through that one, much more surely will those who
receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness
exercise dominion in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

 Therefore just as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all,
so one man’s act of righteousness leads to justification and life
for all. For just as by the one man’s disobedience the many were
made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made
righteous. But law came in, with the result that the trespass
multiplied; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so
that, just as sin exercised dominion in death, so grace might also
exercise dominion through justification* leading to eternal life
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
John 8:21-32

Again he said to them, ‘I am going away, and you will search for me,
but you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.’
Then the Jews said, ‘Is he going to kill himself? Is that what he
means by saying, “Where I am going, you cannot come”?’ He said
to them, ‘You are from below, I am from above; you are of this
world, I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your
sins, for you will die in your sins unless you believe that I am
he.’* They said to him, ‘Who are you?’ Jesus said to them,
‘Why do I speak to you at all?* I have much to say about you and
much to condemn; but the one who sent me is true, and I declare to the
world what I have heard from him.’ They did not understand that he
was speaking to them about the Father. So Jesus said, ‘When you have
lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am he,* and
that I do nothing on my own, but I speak these things as the Father
instructed me. And the one who sent me is with me; he has not left me
alone, for I always do what is pleasing to him.’ As he was saying
these things, many believed in him.
 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you
continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the
truth, and the truth will make you free.’
Morning Psalms: Psalm 42, 43

Psalm  42

As a deer longs for flowing streams,
   so my soul longs for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
   for the living God.
When shall I come and behold
   the face of God?
My tears have been my food
   day and night,
while people say to me continually,
   ‘Where is your God?’

These things I remember,
   as I pour out my soul:
how I went with the throng,*
   and led them in procession to the house of God,
with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,
   a multitude keeping festival.
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
   and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
   my help and my God.

My soul is cast down within me;
   therefore I remember you
from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
   from Mount Mizar.
Deep calls to deep
   at the thunder of your cataracts;
all your waves and your billows
   have gone over me.
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
   and at night his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.

I say to God, my rock,
   ‘Why have you forgotten me?
Why must I walk about mournfully
   because the enemy oppresses me?’
As with a deadly wound in my body,
   my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me continually,
   ‘Where is your God?’

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
   and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
   my help and my God.

Psalm 43

Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause
   against an ungodly people;
from those who are deceitful and unjust
   deliver me!
For you are the God in whom I take refuge;
   why have you cast me off?
Why must I walk about mournfully
   because of the oppression of the enemy?

O send out your light and your truth;
   let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling.
Then I will go to the altar of God,
   to God my exceeding joy;
and I will praise you with the harp,
   O God, my God.

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
   and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
   my help and my God.

Lord, you were favourable to your land;
   you restored the fortunes of Jacob.
You forgave the iniquity of your people;
   you pardoned all their sin.
          Selah
You withdrew all your wrath;
   you turned from your hot anger.

Restore us again, O God of our salvation,
   and put away your indignation towards us.
Will you be angry with us for ever?
   Will you prolong your anger to all generations?
Will you not revive us again,
   so that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your steadfast love, O Lord,
   and grant us your salvation.

Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
   for he will speak peace to his people,
   to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts.*
Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him,
   that his glory may dwell in our land.

Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet;
   righteousness and peace will kiss each other.
Faithfulness will spring up from the ground,
   and righteousness will look down from the sky.
The Lord will give what is good,
   and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness will go before him,
   and will make a path for his steps.

Psalm 86

Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me,
   for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you;
   save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; be gracious to me, O Lord,
   for to you do I cry all day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
   for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
   abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
   listen to my cry of supplication.
In the day of my trouble I call on you,
   for you will answer me.

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
   nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come
   and bow down before you, O Lord,
   and shall glorify your name.
For you are great and do wondrous things;
   you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   that I may walk in your truth;
   give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
   and I will glorify your name for ever.
For great is your steadfast love towards me;
   you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

O God, the insolent rise up against me;
   a band of ruffians seeks my life,
   and they do not set you before them.
But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
   slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
Turn to me and be gracious to me;
   give your strength to your servant;
   save the child of your serving-maid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be put to shame,
   because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.