Friday 9 March 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Fri Mar 9 04:00:00 EST 2007

Friday 9 March 2007

Jeremiah 5:1-9

Run to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem,
   look around and take note!
Search its squares and see
   if you can find one person
who acts justly
   and seeks truth—
so that I may pardon Jerusalem.
Although they say, ‘As the Lord lives’,
   yet they swear falsely.
O Lord, do your eyes not look for truth?
You have struck them,
   but they felt no anguish;
you have consumed them,
   but they refused to take correction.
They have made their faces harder than rock;
   they have refused to turn back.

Then I said, ‘These are only the poor,
   they have no sense;
for they do not know the way of the Lord,
   the law of their God.
Let me go to the rich
   and speak to them;
surely they know the way of the Lord,
   the law of their God.’
But they all alike had broken the yoke,
   they had burst the bonds.

Therefore a lion from the forest shall kill them,
   a wolf from the desert shall destroy them.
A leopard is watching against their cities;
   everyone who goes out of them shall be torn in pieces—
because their transgressions are many,
   their apostasies are great.

How can I pardon you?
   Your children have forsaken me,
   and have sworn by those who are no gods.
When I fed them to the full,
   they committed adultery
   and trooped to the houses of prostitutes.
They were well-fed lusty stallions,
   each neighing for his neighbour’s wife.
Shall I not punish them for these things?

says the Lord;
   and shall I not bring retribution
   on a nation such as this?
Romans 2:25-3:18

Circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law; but if you break
the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. So, if those who
are uncircumcised keep the requirements of the law, will not their
uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? Then those who are
physically uncircumcised but keep the law will condemn you that have
the written code and circumcision but break the law. For a person is
not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something
external and physical. Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly,
and real circumcision is a matter of the heart—it is spiritual and not
literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God.

Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the value of circumcision?
Much, in every way. For in the first place the Jews were entrusted with
the oracles of God. What if some were unfaithful? Will their
faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? By no means! Although
everyone is a liar, let God be proved true, as it is written,
‘So that you may be justified in your words,
   and prevail in your judging.’
But if our injustice serves to confirm the justice of God, what should
we say? That God is unjust to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human
way.) By no means! For then how could God judge the world? But if
through my falsehood God’s truthfulness abounds to his glory, why am I
still being condemned as a sinner? And why not say (as some people
slander us by saying that we say), ‘Let us do evil so that good may
come’? Their condemnation is deserved!

What then? Are we any better off? No, not at all; for we have already
charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under the power of sin,0as
it is written:
‘There is no one who is righteous, not even one;
   there is no one who has understanding,
     there is no one who seeks God.
All have turned aside, together they have become worthless;
   there is no one who shows kindness,
     there is not even one.’
‘Their throats are opened graves;
   they use their tongues to deceive.’
‘The venom of vipers is under their lips.’
   ‘Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.’
‘Their feet are swift to shed blood;
   ruin and misery are in their paths,
and the way of peace they have not known.’
   ‘There is no fear of God before their eyes.’
John 5:30-47

‘I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgement is
just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent
me.

‘If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. There is another
who testifies on my behalf, and I know that his testimony to me is
true. You sent messengers to John, and he testified to the truth. Not
that I accept such human testimony, but I say these things so that you
may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing
to rejoice for a while in his light. But I have a testimony greater
than John’s. The works that the Father has given me to complete, the
very works that I am doing, testify on my behalf that the Father has
sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself testified on my behalf.
You have never heard his voice or seen his form, and you do not have his
word abiding in you, because you do not believe him whom he has sent.

‘You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have
eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse
to come to me to have life. 41I do not accept glory from human beings.
But I know that you do not have the love of God in you. I have come in
my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; if another comes in his own
name, you will accept him. How can you believe when you accept glory
from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the one who
alone is God? Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father;
your accuser is Moses, on whom you have set your hope. If you believed
Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But if you do not
believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?’
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 95, 69

Psalm 95

[...]

to come to me to have life. I do not accept glory from human beings.
But I know that you do not have the love of God in you. I have come in
my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; if another comes in his own
name, you will accept him. How can you believe when you accept glory
from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the one who
alone is God? Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father;
your accuser is Moses, on whom you have set your hope. If you believed
Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But if you do not
believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?’

Psalm 69

Save me, O God,
   for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire,
   where there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,
   and the flood sweeps over me.
I am weary with my crying;
   my throat is parched.
My eyes grow dim
   with waiting for my God.

More in number than the hairs of my head
   are those who hate me without cause;
many are those who would destroy me,
   my enemies who accuse me falsely.
What I did not steal
   must I now restore?
O God, you know my folly;
   the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you.

Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me,
   O Lord God of hosts;
do not let those who seek you be dishonoured because of me,
   O God of Israel.
It is for your sake that I have borne reproach,
   that shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my kindred,
   an alien to my mother’s children.

It is zeal for your house that has consumed me;
   the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.
When I humbled my soul with fasting,
   they insulted me for doing so.
When I made sackcloth my clothing,
   I became a byword to them.
I am the subject of gossip for those who sit in the gate,
   and the drunkards make songs about me.

But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.
   At an acceptable time, O God,
   in the abundance of your steadfast love, answer me.
With your faithful help rescue me
   from sinking in the mire;
let me be delivered from my enemies
   and from the deep waters.
Do not let the flood sweep over me,
   or the deep swallow me up,
   or the Pit close its mouth over me.

Answer me, O Lord, for your steadfast love is good;
   according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.
Do not hide your face from your servant,
   for I am in distress—make haste to answer me.
Draw near to me, redeem me,
   set me free because of my enemies.

You know the insults I receive,
   and my shame and dishonour;
   my foes are all known to you.
Insults have broken my heart,
   so that I am in despair.
I looked for pity, but there was none;
   and for comforters, but I found none.
They gave me poison for food,
   and for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Let their table be a trap for them,
   a snare for their allies.
Let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see,
   and make their loins tremble continually.
Pour out your indignation upon them,
   and let your burning anger overtake them.
May their camp be a desolation;
   let no one live in their tents.
For they persecute those whom you have struck down,
   and those whom you have wounded, they attack still more.
Add guilt to their guilt;
   may they have no acquittal from you.
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living;
   let them not be enrolled among the righteous.
But I am lowly and in pain;
   let your salvation, O God, protect me.

I will praise the name of God with a song;
   I will magnify him with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an ox
   or a bull with horns and hoofs.
Let the oppressed see it and be glad;
   you who seek God, let your hearts revive.
For the Lord hears the needy,
   and does not despise his own that are in bonds.

Let heaven and earth praise him,
   the seas and everything that moves in them.
For God will save Zion
   and rebuild the cities of Judah;
and his servants shall live there and possess it;
   the children of his servants shall inherit it,
   and those who love his name shall live in it.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 73

Psalm 73

Truly God is good to the upright,
   to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
   my steps had nearly slipped.
For I was envious of the arrogant;
   I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

For they have no pain;
   their bodies are sound and sleek.
They are not in trouble as others are;
   they are not plagued like other people.
Therefore pride is their necklace;
   violence covers them like a garment.
Their eyes swell out with fatness;
   their hearts overflow with follies.
They scoff and speak with malice;
   loftily they threaten oppression.
They set their mouths against heaven,
   and their tongues range over the earth.

Therefore the people turn and praise them,
   and find no fault in them.
And they say, ‘How can God know?
   Is there knowledge in the Most High?’
Such are the wicked;
   always at ease, they increase in riches.
All in vain I have kept my heart clean
   and washed my hands in innocence.
For all day long I have been plagued,
   and am punished every morning.

If I had said, ‘I will talk on in this way’,
   I would have been untrue to the circle of your children.
But when I thought how to understand this,
   it seemed to me a wearisome task,
until I went into the sanctuary of God;
   then I perceived their end.
Truly you set them in slippery places;
   you make them fall to ruin.
How they are destroyed in a moment,
   swept away utterly by terrors!
They are like a dream when one awakes;
   on awaking you despise their phantoms.

When my soul was embittered,
   when I was pricked in heart,
I was stupid and ignorant;
   I was like a brute beast towards you.
Nevertheless I am continually with you;
   you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
   and afterwards you will receive me with honour.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
   And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.

Indeed, those who are far from you will perish;
   you put an end to those who are false to you.
But for me it is good to be near God;
   I have made the Lord God my refuge,
   to tell of all your works.