Monday 22 October 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Mon Oct 22 02:00:00 EDT 2007

Monday 22 October 2007

Jeremiah 44:1-14

The word that came to Jeremiah for all the Judeans living in the land of
Egypt, at Migdol, at Tahpanhes, at Memphis, and in the land of Pathros,
2Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: You yourselves have
seen all the disaster that I have brought on Jerusalem and on all the
towns of Judah. Look at them; today they are a desolation, without an
inhabitant in them, 3because of the wickedness that they committed,
provoking me to anger, in that they went to make offerings and serve
other gods that they had not known, neither they, nor you, nor your
ancestors. 4Yet I persistently sent to you all my servants the prophets,
saying, 'I beg you not to do this abominable thing that I hate!' 5But
they did not listen or incline their ear, to turn from their wickedness
and make no offerings to other gods. 6So my wrath and my anger were
poured out and kindled in the towns of Judah and in the streets of
Jerusalem; and they became a waste and a desolation, as they still are
today. 7And now, thus says the Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel: Why
are you doing such great harm to yourselves, to cut off man and woman,
child and infant, from the midst of Judah, leaving yourselves without a
remnant? 8Why do you provoke me to anger with the works of your hands,
making offerings to other gods in the land of Egypt where you have come
to settle? Will you be cut off and become an object of cursing and
ridicule among all the nations of the earth? 9Have you forgotten the
crimes of your ancestors, of the kings of Judah, of their* wives, your
own crimes and those of your wives, which they committed in the land of
Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? 10They have shown no contrition
or fear to this day, nor have they walked in my law and my statutes that
I set before you and before your ancestors.
11 Therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: I am
determined to bring disaster on you, to bring all Judah to an end. 12I
will take the remnant of Judah who are determined to come to the land of
Egypt to settle, and they shall perish, everyone; in the land of Egypt
they shall fall; by the sword and by famine they shall perish; from the
least to the greatest, they shall die by the sword and by famine; and
they shall become an object of execration and horror, of cursing and
ridicule. 13I will punish those who live in the land of Egypt, as I have
punished Jerusalem, with the sword, with famine, and with pestilence,
14so that none of the remnant of Judah who have come to settle in the
land of Egypt shall escape or survive or return to the land of Judah.
Although they long to go back to live there, they shall not go back,
except some fugitives.
1 Corinthians 15:30-41

And why are we putting ourselves in danger every hour? 31I die every
day! That is as certain, brothers and sisters,* as my boasting of you-a
boast that I make in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32If with merely human hopes
I fought with wild animals at Ephesus, what would I have gained by it?
If the dead are not raised,
'Let us eat and drink,
   for tomorrow we die.'
33Do not be deceived:
'Bad company ruins good morals.'
34Come to a sober and right mind, and sin no more; for some people have
no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.
The Resurrection Body35 But someone will ask, 'How are the dead raised?
With what kind of body do they come?' 36Fool! What you sow does not come
to life unless it dies. 37And as for what you sow, you do not sow the
body that is to be, but a bare seed, perhaps of wheat or of some other
grain. 38But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of
seed its own body. 39Not all flesh is alike, but there is one flesh for
human beings, another for animals, another for birds, and another for
fish. 40There are both heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory
of the heavenly is one thing, and that of the earthly is another.
41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and
another glory of the stars; indeed, star differs from star in glory.
Matthew 11:16-24

'But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting
in the market-places and calling to one another,
17"We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
   we wailed, and you did not mourn."
18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He has a
demon"; 19the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look,
a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax-collectors and sinners!" Yet
wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.'*
Woes to Unrepentant Cities20 Then he began to reproach the cities in
which most of his deeds of power had been done, because they did not
repent. 21'Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the deeds
of power done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have
repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22But I tell you, on the day
of judgement it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon than for you.
23And you, Capernaum,
will you be exalted to heaven?
   No, you will be brought down to Hades.
For if the deeds of power done in you had been done in Sodom, it would
have remained until this day. 24But I tell you that on the day of
judgement it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom than for you.'
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 25

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2O my God, in you I trust;
   do not let me be put to shame;
   do not let my enemies exult over me.
3Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame;
   let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

4Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
   teach me your paths.
5Lead me in your truth, and teach me,
   for you are the God of my salvation;
   for you I wait all day long.

6Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love,
   for they have been from of old.
7Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
   according to your steadfast love remember me,
   for your goodness' sake, O Lord!

8Good and upright is the Lord;
   therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
9He leads the humble in what is right,
   and teaches the humble his way.
10All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
   for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.

11For your name's sake, O Lord,
   pardon my guilt, for it is great.
12Who are they that fear the Lord?
   He will teach them the way that they should choose.

13They will abide in prosperity,
   and their children shall possess the land.
14The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
   and he makes his covenant known to them.
15My eyes are ever towards the Lord,
   for he will pluck my feet out of the net.

16Turn to me and be gracious to me,
   for I am lonely and afflicted.
17Relieve the troubles of my heart,
   and bring me* out of my distress.
18Consider my affliction and my trouble,
   and forgive all my sins.

19Consider how many are my foes,
   and with what violent hatred they hate me.
20O guard my life, and deliver me;
   do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
21May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
   for I wait for you.

22Redeem Israel, O God,
   out of all its troubles.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 9, 15

Psalm 9

I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;
   I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
2I will be glad and exult in you;
   I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

3When my enemies turned back,
   they stumbled and perished before you.
4For you have maintained my just cause;
   you have sat on the throne giving righteous judgement.

5You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked;
   you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
6The enemies have vanished in everlasting ruins;
   their cities you have rooted out;
   the very memory of them has perished.

7But the Lord sits enthroned for ever,
   he has established his throne for judgement.
8He judges the world with righteousness;
   he judges the peoples with equity.

9The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed,
   a stronghold in times of trouble.
10And those who know your name put their trust in you,
   for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

11Sing praises to the Lord, who dwells in Zion.
   Declare his deeds among the peoples.
12For he who avenges blood is mindful of them;
   he does not forget the cry of the afflicted.

13Be gracious to me, O Lord.
   See what I suffer from those who hate me;
   you are the one who lifts me up from the gates of death,
14so that I may recount all your praises,
   and, in the gates of daughter Zion,
   rejoice in your deliverance.

15The nations have sunk in the pit that they made;
   in the net that they hid has their own foot been caught.
16The Lord has made himself known, he has executed judgement;
   the wicked are snared in the work of their own hands.
          Higgaion. Selah

17The wicked shall depart to Sheol,
   all the nations that forget God.

18For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
   nor the hope of the poor perish for ever.

19Rise up, O Lord! Do not let mortals prevail;
   let the nations be judged before you.
20Put them in fear, O Lord;
   let the nations know that they are only human.

O Lord, who may abide in your tent?
   Who may dwell on your holy hill?

2Those who walk blamelessly, and do what is right,
   and speak the truth from their heart;
3who do not slander with their tongue,
   and do no evil to their friends,
   nor take up a reproach against their neighbours;
4in whose eyes the wicked are despised,
   but who honour those who fear the Lord;
who stand by their oath even to their hurt;
5who do not lend money at interest,
   and do not take a bribe against the innocent.

Those who do these things shall never be moved.