Wednesday 19 September 2007 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Wed Sep 19 02:00:00 EDT 2007

Wednesday 19 September 2007

1 Kings 22:1-28

For three years Aram and Israel continued without war. 2But in the third
year King Jehoshaphat of Judah came down to the king of Israel. 3The
king of Israel said to his servants, 'Do you know that Ramoth-gilead
belongs to us, yet we are doing nothing to take it out of the hand of
the king of Aram?' 4He said to Jehoshaphat, 'Will you go with me to
battle at Ramoth-gilead?' Jehoshaphat replied to the king of Israel, 'I
am as you are; my people are your people, my horses are your horses.'
5 But Jehoshaphat also said to the king of Israel, 'Inquire first for
the word of the Lord.' 6Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets
together, about four hundred of them, and said to them, 'Shall I go to
battle against Ramoth-gilead, or shall I refrain?' They said, 'Go up;
for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.' 7But Jehoshaphat
said, 'Is there no other prophet of the Lord here of whom we may
inquire?' 8The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, 'There is still one
other by whom we may inquire of the Lord, Micaiah son of Imlah; but I
hate him, for he never prophesies anything favourable about me, but only
disaster.' Jehoshaphat said, 'Let the king not say such a thing.' 9Then
the king of Israel summoned an officer and said, 'Bring quickly Micaiah
son of Imlah.' 10Now the king of Israel and King Jehoshaphat of Judah
were sitting on their thrones, arrayed in their robes, at the
threshing-floor at the entrance of the gate of Samaria; and all the
prophets were prophesying before them. 11Zedekiah son of Chenaanah made
for himself horns of iron, and he said, 'Thus says the Lord: With these
you shall gore the Arameans until they are destroyed.' 12All the
prophets were prophesying the same and saying, 'Go up to Ramoth-gilead
and triumph; the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.'
Micaiah Predicts Failure13 The messenger who had gone to summon Micaiah
said to him, 'Look, the words of the prophets with one accord are
favourable to the king; let your word be like the word of one of them,
and speak favourably.' 14But Micaiah said, 'As the Lord lives, whatever
the Lord says to me, that I will speak.'
15 When he had come to the king, the king said to him, 'Micaiah, shall
we go to Ramoth-gilead to battle, or shall we refrain?' He answered him,
'Go up and triumph; the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.'
16But the king said to him, 'How many times must I make you swear to
tell me nothing but the truth in the name of the Lord?' 17Then Micaiah*
said, 'I saw all Israel scattered on the mountains, like sheep that have
no shepherd; and the Lord said, "These have no master; let each one go
home in peace." ' 18The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, 'Did I not
tell you that he would not prophesy anything favourable about me, but
only disaster?'
19 Then Micaiah* said, 'Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the
Lord sitting on his throne, with all the host of heaven standing beside
him to the right and to the left of him. 20And the Lord said, "Who will
entice Ahab, so that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?" Then one
said one thing, and another said another, 21until a spirit came forward
and stood before the Lord, saying, "I will entice him." 22"How?" the
Lord asked him. He replied, "I will go out and be a lying spirit in the
mouth of all his prophets." Then the Lord * said, "You are to entice
him, and you shall succeed; go out and do it." 23So you see, the Lord
has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; the Lord
has decreed disaster for you.'
24 Then Zedekiah son of Chenaanah came up to Micaiah, slapped him on the
cheek, and said, 'Which way did the spirit of the Lord pass from me to
speak to you?' 25Micaiah replied, 'You will find out on that day when
you go in to hide in an inner chamber.' 26The king of Israel then
ordered, 'Take Micaiah, and return him to Amon the governor of the city
and to Joash the king's son, 27and say, "Thus says the king: Put this
fellow in prison, and feed him on reduced rations of bread and water
until I come in peace." ' 28Micaiah said, 'If you return in peace, the
Lord has not spoken by me.' And he said, 'Hear, you peoples, all of
you!' ******************************************************************
1 Corinthians 2:1-13

When I came to you, brothers and sisters,* I did not come proclaiming
the mystery* of God to you in lofty words or wisdom. 2For I decided to
know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3And I
came to you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. 4My speech
and my proclamation were not with plausible words of wisdom,* but with a
demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5so that your faith might rest
not on human wisdom but on the power of God.
The True Wisdom of God6 Yet among the mature we do speak wisdom, though
it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are
doomed to perish. 7But we speak God's wisdom, secret and hidden, which
God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8None of the rulers of this
age understood this; for if they had, they would not have crucified the
Lord of glory. 9But, as it is written,
'What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
   nor the human heart conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him'-
10these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit
searches everything, even the depths of God. 11For what human being
knows what is truly human except the human spirit that is within? So
also no one comprehends what is truly God's except the Spirit of God.
12Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that
is from God, so that we may understand the gifts bestowed on us by God.
13And we speak of these things in words not taught by human wisdom but
taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are
spiritual.*
Matthew 4:18-25

As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon, who is
called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the lake-for
they were fishermen. 19And he said to them, 'Follow me, and I will make
you fish for people.' 20Immediately they left their nets and followed
him. 21As he went from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of
Zebedee and his brother John, in the boat with their father Zebedee,
mending their nets, and he called them. 22Immediately they left the boat
and their father, and followed him.

Jesus Ministers to Crowds of People23 Jesus* went throughout Galilee,
teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the good news* of the
kingdom and curing every disease and every sickness among the people.
24So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all
the sick, those who were afflicted with various diseases and pains,
demoniacs, epileptics, and paralytics, and he cured them. 25And great
crowds followed him from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and
from beyond the Jordan.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 72

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,
   and your righteousness to a king's son.
2May he judge your people with righteousness,
   and your poor with justice.
3May the mountains yield prosperity for the people,
   and the hills, in righteousness.
4May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
   give deliverance to the needy,
   and crush the oppressor.

5May he live* while the sun endures,
   and as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
6May he be like rain that falls on the mown grass,
   like showers that water the earth.
7In his days may righteousness flourish
   and peace abound, until the moon is no more.

8May he have dominion from sea to sea,
   and from the River to the ends of the earth.
9May his foes* bow down before him,
   and his enemies lick the dust.
10May the kings of Tarshish and of the isles
   render him tribute,
may the kings of Sheba and Seba
   bring gifts.
11May all kings fall down before him,
   all nations give him service.

12For he delivers the needy when they call,
   the poor and those who have no helper.
13He has pity on the weak and the needy,
   and saves the lives of the needy.
14From oppression and violence he redeems their life;
   and precious is their blood in his sight.

15Long may he live!
   May gold of Sheba be given to him.
May prayer be made for him continually,
   and blessings invoked for him all day long.
16May there be abundance of grain in the land;
   may it wave on the tops of the mountains;
   may its fruit be like Lebanon;
and may people blossom in the cities
   like the grass of the field.
17May his name endure for ever,
   his fame continue as long as the sun.
May all nations be blessed in him;*
   may they pronounce him happy.

18Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   who alone does wondrous things.
19Blessed be his glorious name for ever;
   may his glory fill the whole earth.Amen and Amen.

20The prayers of David son of Jesse are ended.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 119:73-96

Psalm 119:73-96

Your hands have made and fashioned me;
   give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
74Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,
   because I have hoped in your word.
75I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right,
   and that in faithfulness you have humbled me.
76Let your steadfast love become my comfort
   according to your promise to your servant.
77Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;
   for your law is my delight.
78Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   because they have subverted me with guile;
   as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
79Let those who fear you turn to me,
   so that they may know your decrees.
80May my heart be blameless in your statutes,
   so that I may not be put to shame.

81My soul languishes for your salvation;
   I hope in your word.
82My eyes fail with watching for your promise;
   I ask, 'When will you comfort me?'
83For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke,
   yet I have not forgotten your statutes.
84How long must your servant endure?
   When will you judge those who persecute me?
85The arrogant have dug pitfalls for me;
   they flout your law.
86All your commandments are enduring;
   I am persecuted without cause; help me!
87They have almost made an end of me on earth;
   but I have not forsaken your precepts.
88In your steadfast love spare my life,
   so that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

89The Lord exists for ever;
   your word is firmly fixed in heaven.
90Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
   you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
91By your appointment they stand today,
   for all things are your servants.
92If your law had not been my delight,
   I would have perished in my misery.
93I will never forget your precepts,
   for by them you have given me life.
94I am yours; save me,
   for I have sought your precepts.
95The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
   but I consider your decrees.
96I have seen a limit to all perfection,
   but your commandment is exceedingly broad.