Sunday 24 February 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Sun Feb 24 02:00:00 EST 2008

Sunday 24 February 2008

Genesis 44:1-17

Then he commanded the steward of his house, 'Fill the men's sacks with
food, as much as they can carry, and put each man's money in the top of
his sack. Put my cup, the silver cup, in the top of the sack of the
youngest, with his money for the grain.' And he did as Joseph told him.
As soon as the morning was light, the men were sent away with their
donkeys. When they had gone only a short distance from the city, Joseph
said to his steward, 'Go, follow after the men; and when you overtake
them, say to them, "Why have you returned evil for good? Why have you
stolen my silver cup?* Is it not from this that my lord drinks? Does he
not indeed use it for divination? You have done wrong in doing this." '

 When he overtook them, he repeated these words to them. They said to
him, 'Why does my lord speak such words as these? Far be it from your
servants that they should do such a thing! Look, the money that we found
at the top of our sacks, we brought back to you from the land of Canaan;
why then would we steal silver or gold from your lord's house? Should it
be found with any one of your servants, let him die; moreover, the rest
of us will become my lord's slaves.' He said, 'Even so; in accordance
with your words, let it be: he with whom it is found shall become my
slave, but the rest of you shall go free.' Then each one quickly lowered
his sack to the ground, and each opened his sack. He searched, beginning
with the eldest and ending with the youngest; and the cup was found in
Benjamin's sack. At this they tore their clothes. Then each one loaded
his donkey, and they returned to the city.

 Judah and his brothers came to Joseph's house while he was still there;
and they fell to the ground before him. Joseph said to them, 'What deed
is this that you have done? Do you not know that one such as I can
practise divination?' And Judah said, 'What can we say to my lord? What
can we speak? How can we clear ourselves? God has found out the guilt of
your servants; here we are then, my lord's slaves, both we and also the
one in whose possession the cup has been found.' But he said, 'Far be it
from me that I should do so! Only the one in whose possession the cup
was found shall be my slave; but as for you, go up in peace to your
father.'
Romans 8:1-10

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ
Jesus. For the law of the Spirit* of life in Christ Jesus has set you*
free from the law of sin and of death. For God has done what the law,
weakened by the flesh, could not do: by sending his own Son in the
likeness of sinful flesh, and to deal with sin,* he condemned sin in the
flesh, so that the just requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us,
who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.* For
those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of
the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit* set their minds
on the things of the Spirit.* To set the mind on the flesh is death, but
to set the mind on the Spirit* is life and peace. For this reason the
mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to
God's law-indeed it cannot, and those who are in the flesh cannot please
God.

 But you are not in the flesh; you are in the Spirit,* since the Spirit
of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does
not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead
because of sin, the Spirit* is life because of righteousness.
John 5:25-29

'Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming, and is now here, when the
dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will
live. For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the
Son also to have life in himself; and he has given him authority to
execute judgement, because he is the Son of Man. Do not be astonished at
this; for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear
his voice and will come out-those who have done good, to the
resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection
of condemnation.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 93, 96

Psalm 93

The Lord is king, he is robed in majesty;
   the Lord is robed, he is girded with strength.
He has established the world; it shall never be moved;
   your throne is established from of old;
   you are from everlasting.

The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
   the floods have lifted up their voice;
   the floods lift up their roaring.
More majestic than the thunders of mighty waters,
   more majestic than the waves* of the sea,
   majestic on high is the Lord!

Your decrees are very sure;
   holiness befits your house,
   O Lord, for evermore.

Psalm 96

O sing to the Lord a new song;
   sing to the Lord, all the earth.
Sing to the Lord, bless his name;
   tell of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
   his marvellous works among all the peoples.
For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
   he is to be revered above all gods.
For all the gods of the peoples are idols,
   but the Lord made the heavens.
Honour and majesty are before him;
   strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.

Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples,
   ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
   bring an offering, and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in holy splendour;
   tremble before him, all the earth.

Say among the nations, 'The Lord is king!
   The world is firmly established; it shall never be moved.
   He will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
   let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
   let the field exult, and everything in it.
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
   before the Lord; for he is coming,
   for he is coming to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
   and the peoples with his truth.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 34

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;
   his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
   let the humble hear and be glad.
O magnify the Lord with me,
   and let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me,
   and delivered me from all my fears.
Look to him, and be radiant;
   so your* faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
   and was saved from every trouble.
The angel of the Lord encamps
   around those who fear him, and delivers them.
O taste and see that the Lord is good;
   happy are those who take refuge in him.
O fear the Lord, you his holy ones,
   for those who fear him have no want.
The young lions suffer want and hunger,
   but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

Come, O children, listen to me;
   I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Which of you desires life,
   and covets many days to enjoy good?
Keep your tongue from evil,
   and your lips from speaking deceit.
Depart from evil, and do good;
   seek peace, and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against evildoers,
   to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears,
   and rescues them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the broken-hearted,
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
   but the Lord rescues them from them all.
He keeps all their bones;
   not one of them will be broken.
Evil brings death to the wicked,
   and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
   none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.