Friday 6 June 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Fri Jun 6 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Friday 6 June 2008

Ecclesiastes 5:1-7

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God; to draw near to listen
is better than the sacrifice offered by fools; for they do not know how
to keep from doing evil.* *Never be rash with your mouth, nor let your
heart be quick to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven, and you
upon earth; therefore let your words be few.

 For dreams come with many cares, and a fool's voice with many words.

 When you make a vow to God, do not delay fulfilling it; for he has no
pleasure in fools. Fulfil what you vow. It is better that you should not
vow than that you should vow and not fulfil it. Do not let your mouth
lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a
mistake; why should God be angry at your words, and destroy the work of
your hands?

 With many dreams come vanities and a multitude of words;* but fear God.
Galatians 3:15-22

Brothers and sisters,* I give an example from daily life: once a
person's will* has been ratified, no one adds to it or annuls it. Now
the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring;* it does not
say, 'And to offsprings',* as of many; but it says, 'And to your
offspring',* that is, to one person, who is Christ. My point is this:
the law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not annul
a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. For
if the inheritance comes from the law, it no longer comes from the
promise; but God granted it to Abraham through the promise.
 Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, until the
offspring* would come to whom the promise had been made; and it was
ordained through angels by a mediator. Now a mediator involves more than
one party; but God is one.

 Is the law then opposed to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a
law had been given that could make alive, then righteousness would
indeed come through the law. But the scripture has imprisoned all things
under the power of sin, so that what was promised through faith in Jesus
Christ* might be given to those who believe.
Matthew 14:22-36

Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to
the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had
dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When
evening came, he was there alone, but by this time the boat, battered by
the waves, was far from the land,* for the wind was against them. And
early in the morning he came walking towards them on the lake. But when
the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified, saying,
'It is a ghost!' And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke
to them and said, 'Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.'

 Peter answered him, 'Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on
the water.' He said, 'Come.' So Peter got out of the boat, started
walking on the water, and came towards Jesus. But when he noticed the
strong wind,* he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out,
'Lord, save me!' Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him,
saying to him, 'You of little faith, why did you doubt?' When they got
into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshipped him,
saying, 'Truly you are the Son of God.'
 When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret. After the
people of that place recognized him, they sent word throughout the
region and brought all who were sick to him, and begged him that they
might touch even the fringe of his cloak; and all who touched it were
healed.
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 40, 54

Psalm 40

I waited patiently for the Lord;
   he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the desolate pit,*
   out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
   making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
   and put their trust in the Lord.

Happy are those who make
   the Lord their trust,
who do not turn to the proud,
   to those who go astray after false gods.
You have multiplied, O Lord my God,
   your wondrous deeds and your thoughts towards us;
   none can compare with you.
Were I to proclaim and tell of them,
   they would be more than can be counted.

Sacrifice and offering you do not desire,
   but you have given me an open ear.*
Burnt-offering and sin-offering
   you have not required.
Then I said, 'Here I am;
   in the scroll of the book it is written of me.*
I delight to do your will, O my God;
   your law is within my heart.'

I have told the glad news of deliverance
   in the great congregation;
see, I have not restrained my lips,
   as you know, O Lord.
I have not hidden your saving help within my heart,
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;
I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness
   from the great congregation.

Do not, O Lord, withhold
   your mercy from me;
let your steadfast love and your faithfulness
   keep me safe for ever.
For evils have encompassed me
   without number;
my iniquities have overtaken me,
   until I cannot see;
they are more than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.

Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;
   O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let all those be put to shame and confusion
   who seek to snatch away my life;
let those be turned back and brought to dishonour
   who desire my hurt.
Let those be appalled because of their shame
   who say to me, 'Aha, Aha!'

But may all who seek you
   rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation
   say continually, 'Great is the Lord!'
As for me, I am poor and needy,
   but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
   do not delay, O my God.

Psalm 54

Save me, O God, by your name,
   and vindicate me by your might.
Hear my prayer, O God;
   give ear to the words of my mouth.

For the insolent have risen against me,
   the ruthless seek my life;
   they do not set God before them.
          Selah

But surely, God is my helper;
   the Lord is the upholder of* my life.
He will repay my enemies for their evil.
   In your faithfulness, put an end to them.

With a freewill-offering I will sacrifice to you;
   I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For he has delivered me from every trouble,
   and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 51

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
   blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
   and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions,
   and my sin is ever before me.
Against you, you alone, have I sinned,
   and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are justified in your sentence
   and blameless when you pass judgement.
Indeed, I was born guilty,
   a sinner when my mother conceived me.

You desire truth in the inward being;*
   therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
   wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
   let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins,
   and blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and put a new and right* spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from your presence,
   and do not take your holy spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
   and sustain in me a willing* spirit.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
   and sinners will return to you.
Deliver me from bloodshed, O God,
   O God of my salvation,
   and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.

O Lord, open my lips,
   and my mouth will declare your praise.
For you have no delight in sacrifice;
   if I were to give a burnt-offering, you would not be pleased.
The sacrifice acceptable to God* is a broken spirit;
   a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
   rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,
then you will delight in right sacrifices,
   in burnt-offerings and whole burnt-offerings;
   then bulls will be offered on your altar.