Thursday 19 June 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Thu Jun 19 02:00:00 EDT 2008

Thursday 19 June 2008

Numbers 12:1-16

While they were at Hazeroth, Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses
because of the Cushite woman whom he had married (for he had indeed
married a Cushite woman); and they said, ‘Has the Lord spoken only
through Moses? Has he not spoken through us also?’ And the Lord heard
it. Now the man Moses was very humble,* more so than anyone else on the
face of the earth. Suddenly the Lord said to Moses, Aaron, and Miriam,
‘Come out, you three, to the tent of meeting.’ So the three of them
came out. Then the Lord came down in a pillar of cloud, and stood at the
entrance of the tent, and called Aaron and Miriam; and they both came
forward. And he said, ‘Hear my words:
When there are prophets among you,
   I the Lord make myself known to them in visions;
   I speak to them in dreams.
Not so with my servant Moses;
   he is entrusted with all my house.
With him I speak face to face—clearly, not in riddles;
   and he beholds the form of the Lord.
Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?’ And
the anger of the Lord was kindled against them, and he departed.

 When the cloud went away from over the tent, Miriam had become
leprous,* as white as snow. And Aaron turned towards Miriam and saw that
she was leprous. Then Aaron said to Moses, ‘Oh, my lord, do not punish
us* for a sin that we have so foolishly committed. Do not let her be
like one stillborn, whose flesh is half consumed when it comes out of
its mother’s womb.’ And Moses cried to the Lord, ‘O God, please
heal her.’ But the Lord said to Moses, ‘If her father had but spat
in her face, would she not bear her shame for seven days? Let her be
shut out of the camp for seven days, and after that she may be brought
in again.’ So Miriam was shut out of the camp for seven days; and the
people did not set out on the march until Miriam had been brought in
again. After that the people set out from Hazeroth, and camped in the
wilderness of Paran.
Romans 2:12-24

All who have sinned apart from the law will also perish apart from the
law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.
For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous in God’s sight,
but the doers of the law who will be justified. When Gentiles, who do
not possess the law, do instinctively what the law requires, these,
though not having the law, are a law to themselves. They show that what
the law requires is written on their hearts, to which their own
conscience also bears witness; and their conflicting thoughts will
accuse or perhaps excuse them on the day when, according to my gospel,
God, through Jesus Christ, will judge the secret thoughts of all.
 But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast of your
relation to God and know his will and determine what is best because you
are instructed in the law, and if you are sure that you are a guide to
the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, a corrector of the
foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of
knowledge and truth, you, then, that teach others, will you not teach
yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You that
forbid adultery, do you commit adultery? You that abhor idols, do you
rob temples? You that boast in the law, do you dishonour God by breaking
the law? For, as it is written, ‘The name of God is blasphemed among
the Gentiles because of you.’
Matthew 18:10-20

‘Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I
tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father
in heaven.* What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and
one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the
mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds
it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine
that never went astray. So it is not the will of your* Father in heaven
that one of these little ones should be lost.
 ‘If another member of the church* sins against you,* go and point out
the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you,
you have regained that one.* But if you are not listened to, take one or
two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the
evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to
them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even
to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a
tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be
bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in
heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about
anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For
where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 34

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;
   his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
   let the humble hear and be glad.
O magnify the Lord with me,
   and let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me,
   and delivered me from all my fears.
Look to him, and be radiant;
   so your* faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord,
   and was saved from every trouble.
The angel of the Lord encamps
   around those who fear him, and delivers them.
O taste and see that the Lord is good;
   happy are those who take refuge in him.
O fear the Lord, you his holy ones,
   for those who fear him have no want.
The young lions suffer want and hunger,
   but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

Come, O children, listen to me;
   I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Which of you desires life,
   and covets many days to enjoy good?
Keep your tongue from evil,
   and your lips from speaking deceit.
Depart from evil, and do good;
   seek peace, and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
   and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against evildoers,
   to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears,
   and rescues them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the broken-hearted,
   and saves the crushed in spirit.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
   but the Lord rescues them from them all.
He keeps all their bones;
   not one of them will be broken.
Evil brings death to the wicked,
   and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
   none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 85, 86

Psalm 85

Lord, you were favourable to your land;
   you restored the fortunes of Jacob.
You forgave the iniquity of your people;
   you pardoned all their sin.
          Selah
You withdrew all your wrath;
   you turned from your hot anger.

Restore us again, O God of our salvation,
   and put away your indignation towards us.
Will you be angry with us for ever?
   Will you prolong your anger to all generations?
Will you not revive us again,
   so that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your steadfast love, O Lord,
   and grant us your salvation.

Let me hear what God the Lord will speak,
   for he will speak peace to his people,
   to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts.*
Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him,
   that his glory may dwell in our land.

Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet;
   righteousness and peace will kiss each other.
Faithfulness will spring up from the ground,
   and righteousness will look down from the sky.
The Lord will give what is good,
   and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness will go before him,
   and will make a path for his steps.

Psalm 86

Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me,
   for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you;
   save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; be gracious to me, O Lord,
   for to you do I cry all day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
   for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
   abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
   listen to my cry of supplication.
In the day of my trouble I call on you,
   for you will answer me.

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
   nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come
   and bow down before you, O Lord,
   and shall glorify your name.
For you are great and do wondrous things;
   you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   that I may walk in your truth;
   give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
   and I will glorify your name for ever.
For great is your steadfast love towards me;
   you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

O God, the insolent rise up against me;
   a band of ruffians seeks my life,
   and they do not set you before them.
But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
   slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
Turn to me and be gracious to me;
   give your strength to your servant;
   save the child of your serving-maid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be put to shame,
   because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.