Wednesday 5 March 2008 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Wed Mar 5 02:00:00 EST 2008

Wednesday 5 March 2008

Genesis 50:15-26

Realizing that their father was dead, Joseph's brothers said, 'What if
Joseph still bears a grudge against us and pays us back in full for all
the wrong that we did to him?' 16So they approached* Joseph, saying,
'Your father gave this instruction before he died, 17"Say to Joseph: I
beg you, forgive the crime of your brothers and the wrong they did in
harming you." Now therefore please forgive the crime of the servants of
the God of your father.' Joseph wept when they spoke to him. 18Then his
brothers also wept,* fell down before him, and said, 'We are here as
your slaves.' 19But Joseph said to them, 'Do not be afraid! Am I in the
place of God? 20Even though you intended to do harm to me, God intended
it for good, in order to preserve a numerous people, as he is doing
today. 21So have no fear; I myself will provide for you and your little
ones.' In this way he reassured them, speaking kindly to them.
Joseph's Last Days and Death22 So Joseph remained in Egypt, he and his
father's household; and Joseph lived for one hundred and ten years.
23Joseph saw Ephraim's children of the third generation; the children of
Machir son of Manasseh were also born on Joseph's knees.
24 Then Joseph said to his brothers, 'I am about to die; but God will
surely come to you, and bring you up out of this land to the land that
he swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.' 25So Joseph made the
Israelites swear, saying, 'When God comes to you, you shall carry up my
bones from here.' 26And Joseph died, being one hundred and ten years
old; he was embalmed and placed in a coffin in Egypt.
1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Now concerning spiritual gifts,* brothers and sisters,* I do not want
you to be uninformed. 2You know that when you were pagans, you were
enticed and led astray to idols that could not speak. 3Therefore I want
you to understand that no one speaking by the Spirit of God ever says
'Let Jesus be cursed!' and no one can say 'Jesus is Lord' except by the
Holy Spirit.
4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5and there are
varieties of services, but the same Lord; 6and there are varieties of
activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in
everyone. 7To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the
common good. 8To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of
wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same
Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of
healing by the one Spirit, 10to another the working of miracles, to
another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another
various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
11All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each
one individually just as the Spirit chooses.
Mark 8:11-26

The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, asking him for a sign
from heaven, to test him. 12And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said,
'Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will
be given to this generation.' 13And he left them, and getting into the
boat again, he went across to the other side.
The Yeast of the Pharisees and of Herod14 Now the disciples* had
forgotten to bring any bread; and they had only one loaf with them in
the boat. 15And he cautioned them, saying, 'Watch out-beware of the
yeast of the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod.'* 16They said to one
another, 'It is because we have no bread.' 17And becoming aware of it,
Jesus said to them, 'Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you
still not perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? 18Do you
have eyes, and fail to see? Do you have ears, and fail to hear? And do
you not remember? 19When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand,
how many baskets full of broken pieces did you collect?' They said to
him, 'Twelve.' 20'And the seven for the four thousand, how many baskets
full of broken pieces did you collect?' And they said to him, 'Seven.'
21Then he said to them, 'Do you not yet understand?'

Jesus Cures a Blind Man at Bethsaida22 They came to Bethsaida. Some
people* brought a blind man to him and begged him to touch him. 23He
took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village; and when
he had put saliva on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him,
'Can you see anything?' 24And the man* looked up and said, 'I can see
people, but they look like trees, walking.' 25Then Jesus* laid his hands
on his eyes again; and he looked intently and his sight was restored,
and he saw everything clearly. 26Then he sent him away to his home,
saying, 'Do not even go into the village.'*
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 101, 109:1-30

Psalm 101

I will sing of loyalty and of justice;
   to you, O Lord, I will sing.
2I will study the way that is blameless.
   When shall I attain it?

I will walk with integrity of heart
   within my house;
3I will not set before my eyes
   anything that is base.

I hate the work of those who fall away;
   it shall not cling to me.
4Perverseness of heart shall be far from me;
   I will know nothing of evil.

5One who secretly slanders a neighbour
   I will destroy.
A haughty look and an arrogant heart
   I will not tolerate.

6I will look with favour on the faithful in the land,
   so that they may live with me;
whoever walks in the way that is blameless
   shall minister to me.

7No one who practises deceit
   shall remain in my house;
no one who utters lies
   shall continue in my presence.

8Morning by morning I will destroy
   all the wicked in the land,
cutting off all evildoers
   from the city of the Lord.

Psalm 109:1-30

Do not be silent, O God of my praise.
2For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me,
   speaking against me with lying tongues.
3They beset me with words of hate,
   and attack me without cause.
4In return for my love they accuse me,
   even while I make prayer for them.*
5So they reward me evil for good,
   and hatred for my love.

6They say,* 'Appoint a wicked man against him;
   let an accuser stand on his right.
7When he is tried, let him be found guilty;
   let his prayer be counted as sin.
8May his days be few;
   may another seize his position.
9May his children be orphans,
   and his wife a widow.
10May his children wander about and beg;
   may they be driven out of* the ruins they inhabit.
11May the creditor seize all that he has;
   may strangers plunder the fruits of his toil.
12May there be no one to do him a kindness,
   nor anyone to pity his orphaned children.
13May his posterity be cut off;
   may his name be blotted out in the second generation.
14May the iniquity of his father* be remembered before the Lord,
   and do not let the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15Let them be before the Lord continually,
   and may his* memory be cut off from the earth.
16For he did not remember to show kindness,
   but pursued the poor and needy
   and the broken-hearted to their death.
17He loved to curse; let curses come on him.
   He did not like blessing; may it be far from him.
18He clothed himself with cursing as his coat,
   may it soak into his body like water,
   like oil into his bones.
19May it be like a garment that he wraps around himself,
   like a belt that he wears every day.'

20May that be the reward of my accusers from the Lord,
   of those who speak evil against my life.
21But you, O Lord my Lord,
   act on my behalf for your name's sake;
   because your steadfast love is good, deliver me.
22For I am poor and needy,
   and my heart is pierced within me.
23I am gone like a shadow at evening;
   I am shaken off like a locust.
24My knees are weak through fasting;
   my body has become gaunt.
25I am an object of scorn to my accusers;
   when they see me, they shake their heads.

26Help me, O Lord my God!
   Save me according to your steadfast love.
27Let them know that this is your hand;
   you, O Lord, have done it.
28Let them curse, but you will bless.
   Let my assailants be put to shame;* may your servant be glad.
29May my accusers be clothed with dishonour;
   may they be wrapped in their own shame as in a mantle.
30With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord;
   I will praise him in the midst of the throng.
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 119:121-144

Psalm 119:121-144

I have done what is just and right;
   do not leave me to my oppressors.
122Guarantee your servant's well-being;
   do not let the godless oppress me.
123My eyes fail from watching for your salvation,
   and for the fulfilment of your righteous promise.
124Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love,
   and teach me your statutes.
125I am your servant; give me understanding,
   so that I may know your decrees.
126It is time for the Lord to act,
   for your law has been broken.
127Truly I love your commandments
   more than gold, more than fine gold.
128Truly I direct my steps by all your precepts;*
   I hate every false way.

129Your decrees are wonderful;
   therefore my soul keeps them.
130The unfolding of your words gives light;
   it imparts understanding to the simple.
131With open mouth I pant,
   because I long for your commandments.
132Turn to me and be gracious to me,
   as is your custom towards those who love your name.
133Keep my steps steady according to your promise,
   and never let iniquity have dominion over me.
134Redeem me from human oppression,
   that I may keep your precepts.
135Make your face shine upon your servant,
   and teach me your statutes.
136My eyes shed streams of tears
   because your law is not kept.

137You are righteous, O Lord,
   and your judgements are right.
138You have appointed your decrees in righteousness
   and in all faithfulness.
139My zeal consumes me
   because my foes forget your words.
140Your promise is well tried,
   and your servant loves it.
141I am small and despised,
   yet I do not forget your precepts.
142Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
   and your law is the truth.
143Trouble and anguish have come upon me,
   but your commandments are my delight.
144Your decrees are righteous for ever;
   give me understanding that I may live.