Wednesday 26 May 2010 DAILY LECTIONARY

Daily Lectionary info at dailylectionary.org
Wed May 26 02:05:22 EDT 2010

 Wednesday 26 May 2010

Proverbs 17:1-20

Better is a dry morsel with quiet
   than a house full of feasting with strife.
A slave who deals wisely will rule over a child who acts shamefully,
   and will share the inheritance as one of the family.
The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold,
   but the Lord tests the heart.
An evildoer listens to wicked lips;
   and a liar gives heed to a mischievous tongue.
Those who mock the poor insult their Maker;
   those who are glad at calamity will not go unpunished.
Grandchildren are the crown of the aged,
   and the glory of children is their parents.
Fine speech is not becoming to a fool;
   still less is false speech to a ruler.*
A bribe is like a magic stone in the eyes of those who give it;
   wherever they turn they prosper.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship,
   but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
A rebuke strikes deeper into a discerning person
   than a hundred blows into a fool.
Evil people seek only rebellion,
   but a cruel messenger will be sent against them.
Better to meet a she-bear robbed of its cubs
   than to confront a fool immersed in folly.
Evil will not depart from the house
   of one who returns evil for good.
The beginning of strife is like letting out water;
   so stop before the quarrel breaks out.
One who justifies the wicked and one who condemns the righteous
   are both alike an abomination to the Lord.
Why should fools have a price in hand
   to buy wisdom, when they have no mind to learn?
A friend loves at all times,
   and kinsfolk are born to share adversity.
It is senseless to give a pledge,
   to become surety for a neighbour.
One who loves transgression loves strife;
   one who builds a high threshold invites broken bones.
The crooked of mind do not prosper,
   and the perverse of tongue fall into calamity.
1 Timothy 3:1-16

The saying is sure:* whoever aspires to the office of bishop* desires a noble task. Now a bishop* must be above reproach, married only once,* temperate, sensible, respectable, hospitable, an apt teacher, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, and not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, keeping his children submissive and respectful in every way— for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church? He must not be a recent convert, or he may be puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace and the snare of the devil.
 Deacons likewise must be serious, not double-tongued, not indulging in much wine, not greedy for money; they must hold fast to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. And let them first be tested; then, if they prove themselves blameless, let them serve as deacons. Women* likewise must be serious, not slanderers, but temperate, faithful in all things. Let deacons be married only once,* and let them manage their children and their households well; for those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and great boldness in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
 I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth. Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
He* was revealed in flesh,
   vindicated* in spirit,*
     seen by angels,
proclaimed among Gentiles,
   believed in throughout the world,
     taken up in glory.
Matthew 12:43-50

‘When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it wanders through waterless regions looking for a resting-place, but it finds none. Then it says, “I will return to my house from which I came.” When it comes, it finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and brings along seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and live there; and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So will it be also with this evil generation.’
 While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, ‘Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.’* But to the one who had told him this, Jesus* replied, ‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’ And pointing to his disciples, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.’
Morning Psalms: Psalm 38

Psalm 38

O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
   or discipline me in your wrath.
For your arrows have sunk into me,
   and your hand has come down on me.

There is no soundness in my flesh
   because of your indignation;
there is no health in my bones
   because of my sin.
For my iniquities have gone over my head;
   they weigh like a burden too heavy for me.

My wounds grow foul and fester
   because of my foolishness;
I am utterly bowed down and prostrate;
   all day long I go around mourning.
For my loins are filled with burning,
   and there is no soundness in my flesh.
I am utterly spent and crushed;
   I groan because of the tumult of my heart.

O Lord, all my longing is known to you;
   my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart throbs, my strength fails me;
   as for the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.
My friends and companions stand aloof from my affliction,
   and my neighbours stand far off.

Those who seek my life lay their snares;
   those who seek to hurt me speak of ruin,
   and meditate treachery all day long.

But I am like the deaf, I do not hear;
   like the mute, who cannot speak.
Truly, I am like one who does not hear,
   and in whose mouth is no retort.

But it is for you, O Lord, that I wait;
   it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.
For I pray, ‘Only do not let them rejoice over me,
   those who boast against me when my foot slips.’

For I am ready to fall,
   and my pain is ever with me.
I confess my iniquity;
   I am sorry for my sin.
Those who are my foes without cause* are mighty,
   and many are those who hate me wrongfully.
Those who render me evil for good
   are my adversaries because I follow after good.

Do not forsake me, O Lord;
   O my God, do not be far from me;
make haste to help me,
   O Lord, my salvation.
Evening Psalms: Psalm 119:25-48

Psalm 119:25-48

My soul clings to the dust;
   revive me according to your word.
When I told of my ways, you answered me;
   teach me your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
   and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;
   strengthen me according to your word.
Put false ways far from me;
   and graciously teach me your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
   I set your ordinances before me.
I cling to your decrees, O Lord;
   let me not be put to shame.
I run the way of your commandments,
   for you enlarge my understanding.

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes,
   and I will observe it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
   and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
   for I delight in it.
Turn my heart to your decrees,
   and not to selfish gain.
Turn my eyes from looking at vanities;
   give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
   which is for those who fear you.
Turn away the disgrace that I dread,
   for your ordinances are good.
See, I have longed for your precepts;
   in your righteousness give me life.

Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,
   your salvation according to your promise.
Then I shall have an answer for those who taunt me,
   for I trust in your word.
Do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
   for my hope is in your ordinances.
I will keep your law continually,
   for ever and ever.
I shall walk at liberty,
   for I have sought your precepts.
I will also speak of your decrees before kings,
   and shall not be put to shame;
I find my delight in your commandments,
   because I love them.
I revere your commandments, which I love,
   and I will meditate on your statutes.