Monday 15 September 2014 DAILY LECTIONARY

Daily Lectionary info at dailylectionary.org
Mon Sep 15 01:00:08 EDT 2014

Monday 15 September 2014

Job 40:1-24

And the Lord said to Job:
‘Shall a fault-finder contend with the Almighty?*
   Anyone who argues with God must respond.’

Then Job answered the Lord:
‘See, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?
   I lay my hand on my mouth.
I have spoken once, and I will not answer;
   twice, but will proceed no further.’

 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind:
‘Gird up your loins like a man;
   I will question you, and you declare to me.
Will you even put me in the wrong?
   Will you condemn me that you may be justified?
Have you an arm like God,
   and can you thunder with a voice like his?

‘Deck yourself with majesty and dignity;
   clothe yourself with glory and splendour.
Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
   and look on all who are proud, and abase them.
Look on all who are proud, and bring them low;
   tread down the wicked where they stand.
Hide them all in the dust together;
   bind their faces in the world below.*
Then I will also acknowledge to you
   that your own right hand can give you victory.

‘Look at Behemoth,
   which I made just as I made you;
   it eats grass like an ox.
Its strength is in its loins,
   and its power in the muscles of its belly.
It makes its tail stiff like a cedar;
   the sinews of its thighs are knit together.
Its bones are tubes of bronze,
   its limbs like bars of iron.

‘It is the first of the great acts of God—
   only its Maker can approach it with the sword.
For the mountains yield food for it
   where all the wild animals play.
Under the lotus plants it lies,
   in the covert of the reeds and in the marsh.
The lotus trees cover it for shade;
   the willows of the wadi surround it.
Even if the river is turbulent, it is not frightened;
   it is confident though Jordan rushes against its mouth.
Can one take it with hooks*
   or pierce its nose with a snare?
Acts 15:36-16:5

After some days Paul said to Barnabas, ‘Come, let us return and visit the believers* in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord and see how they are doing.’ Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. But Paul decided not to take with them one who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not accompanied them in the work. The disagreement became so sharp that they parted company; Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus. But Paul chose Silas and set out, the believers* commending him to the grace of the Lord. He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.
Paul* went on also to Derbe and to Lystra, where there was a disciple named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek. He was well spoken of by the believers* in Lystra and Iconium. Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and had him circumcised because of the Jews who were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. As they went from town to town, they delivered to them for observance the decisions that had been reached by the apostles and elders who were in Jerusalem. So the churches were strengthened in the faith and increased in numbers daily.
John 11:55-12:8

Now the Passover of the Jews was near, and many went up from the country to Jerusalem before the Passover to purify themselves. They were looking for Jesus and were asking one another as they stood in the temple, ‘What do you think? Surely he will not come to the festival, will he?’ Now the chief priests and the Pharisees had given orders that anyone who knew where Jesus* was should let them know, so that they might arrest him.
Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. There they gave a dinner for him. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those at the table with him. Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus’ feet, and wiped them* with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was about to betray him), said, ‘Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii* and the money given to the poor?’ (He said this not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he kept the common purse and used to steal what was put into it.) Jesus said, ‘Leave her alone. She bought it* so that she might keep it for the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me.’
Morning Psalms:  Psalm 56, 57, 58

Psalm 56

Be gracious to me, O God, for people trample on me;
   all day long foes oppress me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
   for many fight against me.
O Most High, when I am afraid,
   I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust; I am not afraid;
   what can flesh do to me?

All day long they seek to injure my cause;
   all their thoughts are against me for evil.
They stir up strife, they lurk,
   they watch my steps.
As they hoped to have my life,
   so repay* them for their crime;
   in wrath cast down the peoples, O God!

You have kept count of my tossings;
   put my tears in your bottle.
   Are they not in your record?
Then my enemies will retreat
   on the day when I call.
   This I know, that* God is for me.
In God, whose word I praise,
   in the Lord, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I am not afraid.
   What can a mere mortal do to me?

My vows to you I must perform, O God;
   I will render thank-offerings to you.
For you have delivered my soul from death,
   and my feet from falling,
so that I may walk before God
   in the light of life.

Psalm 57

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
   for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
   until the destroying storms pass by.
I cry to God Most High,
   to God who fulfils his purpose for me.
He will send from heaven and save me,
   he will put to shame those who trample on me.
          Selah
God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness.

I lie down among lions
   that greedily devour* human prey;
their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongues sharp swords.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
   Let your glory be over all the earth.

They set a net for my steps;
   my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my path,
   but they have fallen into it themselves.
          Selah
My heart is steadfast, O God,
   my heart is steadfast.
I will sing and make melody.
   Awake, my soul!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
   I will awake the dawn.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
   I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens;
   your faithfulness extends to the clouds.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
   Let your glory be over all the earth.

Psalm 58

Do you indeed decree what is right, you gods?*
   Do you judge people fairly?
No, in your hearts you devise wrongs;
   your hands deal out violence on earth.

The wicked go astray from the womb;
   they err from their birth, speaking lies.
They have venom like the venom of a serpent,
   like the deaf adder that stops its ear,
so that it does not hear the voice of charmers
   or of the cunning enchanter.

O God, break the teeth in their mouths;
   tear out the fangs of the young lions, O Lord!
Let them vanish like water that runs away;
   like grass let them be trodden down* and wither.
Let them be like the snail that dissolves into slime;
   like the untimely birth that never sees the sun.
Sooner than your pots can feel the heat of thorns,
   whether green or ablaze, may he sweep them away!

The righteous will rejoice when they see vengeance done;
   they will bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked.
People will say, ‘Surely there is a reward for the righteous;
   surely there is a God who judges on earth.’
Evening Psalms:  Psalm 64, 65

Psalm 64

Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint;
   preserve my life from the dread enemy.
Hide me from the secret plots of the wicked,
   from the scheming of evildoers,
who whet their tongues like swords,
   who aim bitter words like arrows,
shooting from ambush at the blameless;
   they shoot suddenly and without fear.
They hold fast to their evil purpose;
   they talk of laying snares secretly,
thinking, ‘Who can see us?*
   Who can search out our crimes?*
We have thought out a cunningly conceived plot.’
   For the human heart and mind are deep.

But God will shoot his arrow at them;
   they will be wounded suddenly.
Because of their tongue he will bring them to ruin;*
   all who see them will shake with horror.
Then everyone will fear;
   they will tell what God has brought about,
   and ponder what he has done.

Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord
   and take refuge in him.
Let all the upright in heart glory.

Psalm 65

Praise is due to you,
   O God, in Zion;
and to you shall vows be performed,
   O you who answer prayer!
To you all flesh shall come.
When deeds of iniquity overwhelm us,
   you forgive our transgressions.
Happy are those whom you choose and bring near
   to live in your courts.
We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house,
   your holy temple.

By awesome deeds you answer us with deliverance,
   O God of our salvation;
you are the hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the farthest seas.
By your* strength you established the mountains;
   you are girded with might.
You silence the roaring of the seas,
   the roaring of their waves,
   the tumult of the peoples.
Those who live at earth’s farthest bounds are awed by your signs;
you make the gateways of the morning and the evening shout for joy.

You visit the earth and water it,
   you greatly enrich it;
the river of God is full of water;
   you provide the people with grain,
   for so you have prepared it.
You water its furrows abundantly,
   settling its ridges,
softening it with showers,
   and blessing its growth.
You crown the year with your bounty;
   your wagon tracks overflow with richness.
The pastures of the wilderness overflow,
   the hills gird themselves with joy,
the meadows clothe themselves with flocks,
   the valleys deck themselves with grain,
   they shout and sing together for joy.