Sunday 25 April 2021 DAILY LECTIONARY

info at dailylectionary.org info at dailylectionary.org
Sun Apr 25 02:00:04 EDT 2021

Sunday 25 April 2021

Wisdom 1:1-15

Love righteousness, you rulers of the earth,

think of the Lord in goodness

and seek him with sincerity of heart;

because he is found by those who do not put him to the test,

and manifests himself to those who do not distrust him.

For perverse thoughts separate people from God,

and when his power is tested, it exposes the foolish;

because wisdom will not enter a deceitful soul,

or dwell in a body enslaved to sin.

For a holy and disciplined spirit will flee from deceit,

and will leave foolish thoughts behind,

and will be ashamed at the approach of unrighteousness.

For wisdom is a kindly spirit,

but will not free blasphemers from the guilt of their words;

because God is witness of their inmost feelings,

and a true observer of their hearts, and a hearer of their tongues.

Because the spirit of the Lord has filled the world,

and that which holds all things together knows what is said,

therefore those who utter unrighteous things will not escape notice,

and justice, when it punishes, will not pass them by.

For inquiry will be made into the counsels of the ungodly,

and a report of their words will come to the Lord,

to convict them of their lawless deeds;

because a jealous ear hears all things,

and the sound of grumbling does not go unheard.

Beware then of useless grumbling,

and keep your tongue from slander;

because no secret word is without result,*

and a lying mouth destroys the soul.

Do not invite death by the error of your life,

or bring on destruction by the works of your hands;

because God did not make death,

and he does not delight in the death of the living.

For he created all things so that they might exist;

the generative forces* of the world are wholesome,

and there is no destructive poison in them,

and the dominion* of Hades is not on earth.

For righteousness is immortal.

1 Peter 5:1-11

Now as an elder myself and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as
well as one who shares in the glory to be revealed, I exhort the
elders among you to tend the flock of God that is in your charge,
exercising the oversight,* not under compulsion but willingly, as God
would have you do it*—not for sordid gain but eagerly. Do not lord
it over those in your charge, but be examples to the flock. And when
the chief shepherd appears, you will win the crown of glory that never
fades away. In the same way, you who are younger must accept the
authority of the elders.* And all of you must clothe yourselves with
humility in your dealings with one another, for

‘God opposes the proud,

   but gives grace to the humble.’

 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he
may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he
cares for you. Discipline yourselves; keep alert.* Like a roaring lion
your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour.
Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers
and sisters* throughout the world are undergoing the same kinds of
suffering. And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of
all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will
himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the
power for ever and ever. Amen.

Matthew 7:15-29

‘Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but
inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are
grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? In the same way,
every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A
good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into
the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits.

 ‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord”, will enter the
kingdom of heaven, but only one who does the will of my Father in
heaven. On that day many will say to me, “Lord, Lord, did we not
prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many
deeds of power in your name?” Then I will declare to them, “I
never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.”

 ‘Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will
be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the
floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not
fall, because it had been founded on rock. And everyone who hears
these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish
man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, and the floods came,
and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell—and
great was its fall!’

 Now when Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were
astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority,
and not as their scribes.

Morning Psalms: Psalm 63:1-11, 98

Psalm 63:1-11

O God, you are my God, I seek you,

   my soul thirsts for you;

my flesh faints for you,

   as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,

   beholding your power and glory.

Because your steadfast love is better than life,

   my lips will praise you.

So I will bless you as long as I live;

   I will lift up my hands and call on your name.

My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast,*

   and my mouth praises you with joyful lips

when I think of you on my bed,

   and meditate on you in the watches of the night;

for you have been my help,

   and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.

My soul clings to you;

   your right hand upholds me.

But those who seek to destroy my life

   shall go down into the depths of the earth;

they shall be given over to the power of the sword,

   they shall be prey for jackals.

But the king shall rejoice in God;

   all who swear by him shall exult,

   for the mouths of liars will be stopped.

Psalm 98

O sing to the Lord a new song,

   for he has done marvellous things.

His right hand and his holy arm

   have gained him victory.

The Lord has made known his victory;

   he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.

He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness

   to the house of Israel.

All the ends of the earth have seen

   the victory of our God.

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth;

   break forth into joyous song and sing praises.

Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre,

   with the lyre and the sound of melody.

With trumpets and the sound of the horn

   make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.

Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;

   the world and those who live in it.

Let the floods clap their hands;

   let the hills sing together for joy

at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming

   to judge the earth.

He will judge the world with righteousness,

   and the peoples with equity.

Evening Psalms: Psalm 103

Psalm 103

Bless the Lord, O my soul,

   and all that is within me,

   bless his holy name.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,

   and do not forget all his benefits—

who forgives all your iniquity,

   who heals all your diseases,

who redeems your life from the Pit,

   who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,

who satisfies you with good as long as you live*

   so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

The Lord works vindication

   and justice for all who are oppressed.

He made known his ways to Moses,

   his acts to the people of Israel.

The Lord is merciful and gracious,

   slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

He will not always accuse,

   nor will he keep his anger for ever.

He does not deal with us according to our sins,

   nor repay us according to our iniquities.

For as the heavens are high above the earth,

   so great is his steadfast love towards those who fear him;

as far as the east is from the west,

   so far he removes our transgressions from us.

As a father has compassion for his children,

   so the Lord has compassion for those who fear him.

For he knows how we were made;

   he remembers that we are dust.

As for mortals, their days are like grass;

   they flourish like a flower of the field;

for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,

   and its place knows it no more.

But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting

   on those who fear him,

   and his righteousness to children’s children,

to those who keep his covenant

   and remember to do his commandments.

The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,

   and his kingdom rules over all.

Bless the Lord, O you his angels,

   you mighty ones who do his bidding,

   obedient to his spoken word.